Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I cant believe my 76 sedan devile has a cb radio built into the stock radio. I am surprised Cadillac did that. Is that rare?

·
Registered
1979 Sedan deVille d'Elegance
4,153 Posts
Hello!

1976?! The factory CB was an option starting in 1977 in full size GM cars and they were dropped as an option in the mid 1980's. If your 1976 car has a CB actually built into the radio it likely had a radio from a newer car fitted at some point. CB radios were as hip back in the late 1970's as Ipods are now. EVERYONE seemed to be breaker one-9ing with every trucker on the highway!There was a whole code lingo everyone exchanged on the air and looking back it was pretty funny since everyone is on the cell phone now and CB radios allowed you to chat with no one in particular.

Have fun with your CB, good buddy! :)

Dave

·
Registered
04 ESV Platinum, 96 Eldorado Coachbuilder LTD, 96 FWB
1,044 Posts
I am looking to buy a CB radio for my Cadillac. A aftermarket one. Always wanted one, though dont know if i want to stick a magnetic antenna on the trunklid.

·
Registered
'93 Fleetwood Brougham...Dad's
4,382 Posts
1990CaddyBrougham said:
I am looking to buy a CB radio for my Cadillac. A aftermarket one. Always wanted one, though dont know if i want to stick a magnetic antenna on the trunklid.
Why? Just for a "cool" (...;) ...) factor?

I still see a couple cars every now and then that have the big old mile long CB antenna stuck on them....the most often one being an almost new Park Avenue that's disgustingly filthy, with several redneck (or similar...) stickers on the back, and that big antenna. It's an interesting site, for sure, though I don't see what the weird old guy who drives the car would ever use a CB for...

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
Hello!

Cadillac used a "tri-band" antenna which was good for AM and FM plus CB. This type of antenna used to be available through Crutchfield - - you may want to check. Otherwise, JC Whitney has odd stuff like that or do a search online for one.

Good luck!

Dave

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I think they have the Cell phone like antennas that go on the rear window. We will see what i can find.

·
Registered
94 Fleetwood Brougham
7,534 Posts
The 1976 Olds could get the CB as an option. Mine only had a AM radio. We added a Radio Shack FM radio/Cassette under the dash to supplement the AM radio....

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
N0DIH said:
The 1976 Olds could get the CB as an option. Mine only had a AM radio. We added a Radio Shack FM radio/Cassette under the dash to supplement the AM radio....
Forget CB, get your HAM ticket, then you can talk to folks world wide. Its much more mature and practical than the vast wasteland that CB has become. Of if you dont want to take the test for amature readio, get a GMRS mobile rig. Very cool stuff.
73's

·
Registered
1993 FWB, 1979 COUP DE VILLE,'92 ROADMASTER
195 Posts
MY '79 COUPE DE VILLE WAS THE FIRST YEAR FOR THE CASSETTE TAPE PLAYER.
SOME HAD THE CB OTHERS HAD THE CASSETTE DECK.:alchi:

(WHICH I USED QUITE OFTEN, IF I MUST ADD):duck:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
JAKE91 said:
MY '79 COUPE DE VILLE WAS THE FIRST YEAR FOR THE CASSETTE TAPE PLAYER.
SOME HAD THE CB OTHERS HAD THE CASSETTE DECK.:alchi:

(WHICH I USED QUITE OFTEN, IF I MUST ADD):duck:
? Really? My 76 has the tape player and CB all in one unit

·
Registered
2005 Escalade 6.0L 2WD, 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited CRD
3,723 Posts
Are you sure it's not an 8 track? My '79 Deville had an 8 track player!

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
Hello!

It's more than likely a 1976 GM car with a Delco radio with the CB built in was installed in the car at a later point as an update by the owner. We all make improvements - - I recently fitted alloy wheels from a 1995 Fleetwood Brougham on my 1981 Fleetwood Brougham to give the car a different look.

Here's the description from the 1977 sales brochure: "AM/FM Pushbutton Stereo Radio with Citizens Band -- This exciting new radio is available for the first time for Cadillac..." It's interesting to note that the original 1977 version of this CB only had 23 channels! The 1978 had 40 channels.

Looking at the sales literature, the 8-track/CB combo radio was introduced in 1978. The electronically tuned receiver (ETR) radio was an option starting in 1978 and standard in 1979 when cassette, 8-track, CB, and 8-track/CB versions were all offered. 1980 was the first year of ETR cassette with CB.

Breaker 1-9!

DAve

·
Registered
'80 Fleetwood Coupe, 1994 and 1995 Mercedes 140 Coupe
2,096 Posts
kobeck said:
Forget CB, get your HAM ticket, then you can talk to folks world wide. Its much more mature and practical than the vast wasteland that CB has become.
73's
Guess you don't hang around 75 metres at night!

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
Hey Dope Star!

Cadillac trivia! Yes, Cadillac did have cellular telephones available starting in 1986 on the deVille/Fleetwood/Eldorado/Seville. The last year they were shown in sales literature was 1989.

Cadillac did a nice job integrating the cell phones into either the front folding armrest in deVille/Fleetwood or under the console in Eldo/Seville.

Dave

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Hey quick ??

i replaced my 90 broughams old not working power antenna with a used one form a 80's Brougham. This used one had 2 male connectors for the wire, now the orignal 90 one had only 1. It works, but is this other for a CB?

·
Registered
94 Fleetwood Brougham
7,534 Posts
Well yes, OnStar in 1997....

DopeStar 156 said:
I thought Cadillac put phones in the cars.... Did they do this?...................Ever?

·
Registered
2009 CTS White Diamond base, 1992 Brougham White/White 5.7
643 Posts
The Old 1979 Cadi we had came with a CB and 8-Track. Looked Factory to me.

·
Registered
2000 Escalade
1 Posts
Yes they put phones in them. Mine had one and so does my Brother's 1999 Escalade.
I would have to agree that a Ham Radio is much better. More power and distance! I'm a Truck Driver and I'm installing a Connex 3300HP "Big Betty," with Red Nitro Rings under the Breasts!! And for Antennas... I'm installing a "Wilson 1000," Thru The Roof style. No cables running across the roof.

----------

Just make sure that what ever Antenna you use... You have a CB shop set up your,"SWRs" on the Antenna or you could "FRY" your radio!!!! The hardest part about the CB is where to mount it where it would look good!! I'm mounting mine on dash in a Custom made Fiberglass enclosure.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts