Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac Cts
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I just finish replacing valve cover gaskets and the crankshaft position sensor. But my car still wont start. It cranks over put sounds like it doesnt have enough power to start or it sounds like the oil pump is not on. An I am getting these codes
P0341 Camshaft position sensor performance
U1300 Class 2 data link shorted
B1327 Vehicle system voltage below 9.0 volts (but also tried to jump but still didnt start)
B1004 Keep alive memory (KAM)
B2882 tilt posistion sensor low (probabaly because I had car in the air installing crankshaft)
B2556 : Interior Lamp Rheostat Circuit Range
P0161 O2 Sensor Heater Circuit Bank 2 Sensor 2
P0056 HO2S Heater Control Circuit Bank 2 Sensor 2
B2470 Daytime Running Lamps Fault

I already have the camshaft position sensor an oxygen sensor an oil pressure sensor ordered an I would put them in an see if it starts then. But I read in a few sites that cam shaft position sensor also causes starting problems and I ask my dealer if it could be the camshaft an they said it could be because it could be sending the wrong signals an causing other sensors malfunction and could this be why so many codes are showing up because they wasnt there before,so I want to know how true is this, but if anyone has any idea of what the camshaft does or have any more experience with this let me know. An if not I will have to keep trouble shooting an let youll know the progress and if I still dont be successful I would have to carry the car to the dealers and pay them thousands of dollars but I have faith in God that I do find the problem an fix it. But thanks in advance for anyones help.

·
Registered
deville
2 Posts
im having same problem.change camshaft cover gasket and spark plugs , wouldnt start after that. replaced crankshaft position senor no help and codes. please update post if u find a fix i will do the same

·
Registered
Cadillac Cts
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Ok well the rest of my sensors suppose to be coming wednesday after I put them on I will update you and I have faith in God that it is that the camshaft position sensor needs replacement and no I dont mean the crankshaft position sensor thats already replaced (because ppl take those for the same thing.

·
Registered
CTS 03
1,765 Posts
I'd retrace all the steps you did when you replace the gaskets especilly when you removed the ECM. Check to insure there are no bent pins and no debris under the connectors. be sure everything is tight. The toughest problems to fix are the onces you installed. have a friend work with you, sometimes another set of eyes helps.

·
Registered
Cadillac Cts
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok I finish replacing the crankshaft position sensor, camshaft position sensor, o2 sensor, oil pressure switch sensor, and I am still getting problems starting. When I try to start it would jus crank for a long time an I kept tryin for like 20 mins an it finally start to turn over but it would jus turn right back off after about 2 mins, also I was hearing a knocking sound or cylinder misfire but the engine shakes but it turns right back off like after 2 seconds when it actually do start. I dont know if the oil pump went bad or if the lines are clogged or the screen but it sounds like oil isnt gettin to the engine an i change the oil pressure switch so i am confused. But now I am getting these codes:
B1327 Low voltage
P0341 Camshaft Position sensor (replaced I think its because all those cranking times)
P1629 - Theft Deterrent System - Cranking Signal (First time i saw this one)
Someone pls help

·
Registered
Cadillac Cts
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Its like a knock/rattle when its tryin to start but the engine shuts right back off, I will try an record it so youll would know exactly what I mean

·
Registered
Cadillac Cts
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I wouldnt lose faith that fast, but shouldnt the oil pressure sensor send a signal to fuel relay to turn off the fuel so that it can save the engine from damage when the oil pressure level is low. That could be why it may not be starting an bc the oil pressure is so low it might not get through the engine fast enough thats why it may have that knock. I am hoping it could be sludge on my screen or plugged filter so tomorrow I would change oil an clean screen and replace oil filter and pray to God that it makes a difference.

·
Registered
2005 V
474 Posts
I came out to all electrical systems working, but nothing when you turned the key.

Dealership says it's a heater control valve.

I thought it was the CPS, but I guess not.

Is this what the P0056 code is?

·
Registered
Cadillac Cts
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So your car running now after changing that? Because I have that P0056 code also but I change oxygen sensor so I thought would clear that code problem.

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
As far as the OP goes, is this an '03?
Was it running when you took it apart to reseal the valve covers?
If so you may have damaged some wiring or something while it was apart.
Did you do any other work like change the oil?

The oil pressure sensor and O2 sensors have nothing to do with whether or not the car starts.
If it was a theft deterrent problem the car would not crank.
I have seen wires get damaged by the left valve cover, if you didn't move the wires out of the way you might have smashed them possibly causing the cam sensor codes (although I am a little fuzzy on that engine since I don't work on it a whole lot).

It sounds as if the engine has possibly jumped time. If that is the case stop cranking it.
The easiest way to check is to do a compression test or remove the timing cover to verify proper engine timing.
The 3.2 is an interference engine and will bend the valves if you crank it and the timing is not set properly.

·
Registered
Cadillac Cts
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
As far as the OP goes, is this an '03?
Was it running when you took it apart to reseal the valve covers?
If so you may have damaged some wiring or something while it was apart.
Did you do any other work like change the oil?

The oil pressure sensor and O2 sensors have nothing to do with whether or not the car starts.
If it was a theft deterrent problem the car would not crank.
I have seen wires get damaged by the left valve cover, if you didn't move the wires out of the way you might have smashed them possibly causing the cam sensor codes (although I am a little fuzzy on that engine since I don't work on it a whole lot).

It sounds as if the engine has possibly jumped time. If that is the case stop cranking it.
The easiest way to check is to do a compression test or remove the timing cover to verify proper engine timing.
The 3.2 is an interference engine and will bend the valves if you crank it and the timing is not set properly.
Well I will explain what happen again, the tensioner pulley did siezed an caused the belt to pop. But I was soon home (about like a quarter mile) so I finish drive until I made it home an cut off the car. I replace the pulley an belt an the car started up and everything. So that night when I started the car to go to the shop I heard a light tapping noise ( tap tap tap something like that) at the bottom of the engine closer to the oil pan. I let it fun awhile but nothing change so I attempt to drive it to a shop around the corner. After driving for a few mins when I accelerate the noise went faster an then I started to lose power an the car was accelerating slow. So I pulled on the side an turn the engine off, I wanted to try make it back home so I turned the engine back on an turned around an started driving towards home an then I heard like a whirling noise and the car jus shut off by it self. An I couldnt get it started from then and when I do get it start it had a knocking sound (like oil wasnt getting to it fast enough) and then the engine would automatically turn back off 2 seconds after it would start (dont know if thats the knock sensor or watever). Then the next morning when I look at my engine I notice the wire from the oil pressure switch was cut an hanging so I dont know if that caused it. An when I check the codes I had camshaft position sensor code, oxygen sensor, thermostat code. An I always had a small leak from the valve covers an yes oil was in the car at the time all of this happen. So i change valve cover seals, camshaft position sensor, crankshaft position sensor, oxygen sensor, oil pressure switch, oil filter an oil. To see if it would make a difference but no it still sounds like oil isnt making it to the top of the engine fast enough. So I was wondering if the strainer could be blocked or maybe a hose, or the oil pump went bad an do the oil pump on the cts go bad on the regular. Would I have to lift the engine to get the oil pan off. So if anyone has any ideas it would be greatly appreciated, an thanks in advance.

P.S. An no it wasnt starting before I changed the valve cover seals so that didnt cause the problem.

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
Okay that's good info.
When was the last time the oil was changed?
It sounds like you have a mechanical issue here, possibly an engine bearing although it seems odd that it would coincide with a belt breaking.
The wire on the oil pressure sensor was probably broken when the serpentine belt broke, it is in the path of where a broken belt would go.
It will not be related to a no start condition.

It sounds like you could have an oiling problem or possibly a timing belt tha failed shortly after the other belt.
Let me know when the oil change was last done, from there you might be looking for a mechanic you can trust or a new engine????

·
Registered
Cadillac Cts
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Okay that's good info.
When was the last time the oil was changed?
It sounds like you have a mechanical issue here, possibly an engine bearing although it seems odd that it would coincide with a belt breaking.
The wire on the oil pressure sensor was probably broken when the serpentine belt broke, it is in the path of where a broken belt would go.
It will not be related to a no start condition.

It sounds like you could have an oiling problem or possibly a timing belt tha failed shortly after the other belt.
Let me know when the oil change was last done, from there you might be looking for a mechanic you can trust or a new engine????
Well the last oil change was like 3-4 months ago and I just changed it again today, and I am really praying an hoping it is jus probably a clug hose or strainer causing low oil pressure because I really do want to have to look to buying a whole new engine because I am paying the bank for this car and I live in the bahamas so thngs alot more expensive down here. But I am trusting and having faith in God but I have a mechanic looking at it now tho. But thanks for your help.

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
The reason I ask is that some of the filters have been coming off the shelf with the plastic bag that has the new seals in it stuffed inside the filter.
If you didn't see the seal bag and it was left inside the filter and you installed it then it would get shot right into the oil gallery when you started the engine. That would block the oil from getting up to the cylinder heads and it could possibly block oil flow to a main bearing. Not to say that is what happened but if that set of circumstances occurred then you are going to have to do some major work to get that plastic bag out of the oil gallery.

Did you change the oil before this happened or after it started.

·
Registered
Cadillac Cts
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I changed the oil after the problem started and the mechanic what I had checking it yesterday said it is just rolling over an attempted to start but it isnt starting, and that I would have to carry it to a next mechanic becuase he doesnt know to much about these engines. An I already changed the camshaft position sensor and crankshaft position sensor my self, unless they arent working. Unless when the v belt pop it disconnected or tear another wire of sensor some where, is there anymore anywhere around there or something could have shorted out because its amazing all this happen at that sametime an no oil light or anything. Would the car start even if doesnt have oil pressure? An i thought the oil pressure switch would send a signal to cut off fuel if pressure isnt high enough so that could be why, but u stated that wouldnt be a problem. Or could my car be in limp mode an need to reset? All the systems same close to oil tho so I dont know if the oil pump could of gave way, because at the time i lose power an heard a whirling noise then engine cut off, when tryin to start it would roll over an attempt to start an if it start it would have a knock like oil hasnt reach the top of the engine yet an it would automatically turn back off in 2 seconds ( dont kno if that could be from the knock sensor) an now I change the oil an oil filter it is rolling over an attempting to start but it isnt, I would have to keep gasing it up or keep my foot on gas an keep rolling it over to get it started an when it does it shuts back down. An the engine shouldnt be siezed because it is rolling over and I kno it isnt the head. Oh yea an before all this happen I heard a slight tapping noise at the bottom of the engine dont know if that was the oil pump. So if any one have an of these issues or is experince in these please help because I really dont want to have to get a new engine, an the cadillac dealer over hear says they wont be able to jus look at it for 3 months because of renovations, an it would be sad to pay them hundreds of dollars just to look at the car an dont kno what is the problem because I am still paying the bank for this car. But thanks in advance and I still praying to God that I could get this fix.

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
If it starts and seems to run normally for 2 seconds then shuts off there could be something else going on. Can you keep it running at all or does it act like someone just shut the key off?

GM cars and light trucks do not have any safeties regarding oil pressure. If you want you can drive all day with no oil pressure you'll just have a red light on in your face. People get confused because we used to use the oil pressure sensor as a backup for the relay to keep the engine running if the relay failed, but it doesn't shut the fuel pump off if there is no oil pressure unless the relay has failed too. We haven't used that setup for almost a decade now, maybe longer.

Did you get the oil sending unit rewired so it works properly yet?
Look around and see if any other harnesses were damaged when the belt broke. It may have cut something else that goes to the engine controller or other systems.
Are any lights on or flashing in the cluster? (like the security light)
Any messages on the radio display?

·
Registered
06 CTS Sport/Luxury package
9,814 Posts
When you say it's "running for 2 seconds" does it seem like it's running normally for those two seconds? Mean does it sounds like the starter disengages as it should? Or is the starter still cranking the engine during those few seconds? If the starter IS still cranking during those few seconds, the first place that I would check to see if you have is spark. I don't know how you would check that since our cars have coils directly on top of the plugs. Maybe someone else would be able to chime in on that.

Like ewill3rd said, check all connections around the belt area.

By the way, when and how did the belt break? While you were driving normally, or driving heavy footed??

KOT

·
Registered
Cadillac Cts
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok when I do get it to run for those 2 seconds it runs hard, I get a knocking sound like oil isnt getting up on time then it stops thats why I was thinking it could be a knock sensor. An the belt pop beause the tensioner pulley broke (was old) an the belt got heated on the metal surface an broke. An nothing came up on the scren while I was driving it was normally I only heard a slight tapping noise at the bottom of the engine closer to the oil pan. Only time something did come up on my screen or dash was when the car stop an thats jus the normal lights but when I check the dic codes the codes from the first post I did showed up. After I changed all those sensors valve cover seals an so forth only 3 codes was showing up
B1327 Low voltage
P0341 Camshaft Position sensor (replaced I think its because all those cranking times)
P1629 - Theft Deterrent System - Cranking Signal (First time i saw this one)

By the way I notice oil settle to the bottom of the tubes infront of the car that comes from the air intake/pleneum could that be the problem that the air filter may need to change. But it still doesnt speak for the sound for the hitting sound when trying to start up like the engine isnt lubricated enough. I will try record it and play it for youll so youll would know exactly what I mean.

·
Registered
Cadillac Cts
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok these are the video rocordings so you can see what I mean an I will also try get a better one if needed tomorrow or try get the car running so youll could hear the soun but watch

1 - 20 of 31 Posts