Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Blue 1993 Sedan DeVille, 4.9
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today my caddy overheated. Twice. I put some water and antifreeze in it and it ran out. Apparently the drain plug had broken off inside the radiator. What a pain the butt. Had to lift the radiator out to get to it. Haven't put it back together yet but I'm worried about damage to the engine when it overheated. The car was making a ticking noise and cut off on me as I just barely make it home. Do you guys think I damaged the engine. Some of the most oddball stuff happens to me.

·
Registered
1999 Cadillac DeVille
279 Posts
How hot did it get? Did you keep running it or did you shut off immediatly? If you want to be sure that you didn't blow a HG go and have the coolant tested for exaust gasses any radiator shop can do it or the kit is 50 bucks at napa if you wanna do it yourself..

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The first time I stopped it when the light came on the said stop/ coolant temp. The second time, after I put some coolant and water in and tried to temporarily plug the hole it cut of itself and I let it roll in my driveway.

·
Registered
70 Deville 77 Fleet 78 Seville 92 Deville 03 Deville
3,310 Posts
I've got faith in the old 4.9. I think it will be ok but it sounds like it might be a close call. This is a good test so keep us posted.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
87,112 Posts
Doesn't sound like it got too hot from what you're saying. Change the oil to be on the safe side.

·
Registered
1990 350 Brougham (The cruiser), 1988 Mark VII LSC (The DD)
5,545 Posts
The coolant sensor means the coolant got hot but did not horribly overheat the engine. It is really bad when the engine block temperature sensor goes off, then you are screwed (although I think they turn on the same light so it doesn't really matter).

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Water pump needed to be replaced. I guess after 246k miles it was time. LOL. I wish I had suspected that earlier when I losing antifreeze. I thought it was leaking from somewhere else. Meanwhile when I replaced the drain plug I think I damaged the radiator at the bottom where the transmission cooler line comes in. Have a serious leak. Going to get a new radiator and get someone to put it in. For some reason I can't get those bolts to turn. The transmission cooler line screws into a bolt that goes into the radiator. Those two will not come apart.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts