Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
05 STS V8 1SG with ACC, 99 STS (Sold), 06 CL500 (Wifes)
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 99 STS hates hot starts. If i idle for more than a minute, and then turn my car off, it is really hard to restart. I have to give it gas and rev the engine really hard. Is there a reason for this and can i fix it?

I starts right up when it is cold, even below 0 F...

·
Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
1,164 Posts
sjwoodruff said:
Sounds like a classic example of a faulty fuel pressure regulator. Easy to replace...
Yup, I'm with sjwoodruff 100%. Hot restart problems usually come down to a bad fuel pressure regulator. It's a $45 part and a 10 minute replacement job to do it yourself. Let us know if you're going to fix it yourself or take it somewhere. A dealership will probably charge $200 for the fix.

·
Registered
05 STS V8 1SG with ACC, 99 STS (Sold), 06 CL500 (Wifes)
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I ONLY does it durning hot starts, so unless it gets worse, I am not going to bother.

But in the event I do, where is it located and how do i do it?
Thanks,

·
Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
1,164 Posts
Benjamin Simon said:
I ONLY does it durning hot starts, so unless it gets worse, I am not going to bother.

But in the event I do, where is it located and how do i do it?
Thanks,
Unfortunately it's not so easy. If it's leaking, that's what causes your hot restart problems, and while you're driving it's dumping extra fuel into the intake. Your mileage is probably suffering to some extent because of the leaking regulator. I would replace it as soon as you can to prevent damage and maybe get better gas mileage. It will only get worse as time goes on if you leave it.

The FPR is a small canister on the fuel rail that connects to all the fuel injectors. If you remove the cover from the top of the engine, you will see the metal canister with a small vacuum hose connected to it. It's on the driver's side on the rear of the fuel rail. All you have to do to test it is take off the vacuum hose and start the engine. If you see fuel leaking from the metal vacuum nipple, the FPR is bad and needs to be replaced. When mine went, it wouldn't leak unless the vacuum was attached. To replace it, you just have to remove the clip that holds it in there, lift it out, drop the new one in, put the clip back in, connect the vacuum line, put the engine cover back on, and you're done. It's extremely simple to do and well worth the time and effort.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,793 Posts
Be sure to bleed off fuel pressure before you remove the FPR. Just locate the schreader valve (looks like a tire valve) on the fuel rail. Hold a rag over it to soak up fuel (about an oz.) and push on the valve stem, just like letting air out of a tire.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts