Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
'87 Jeep, '10 Thruxton, '00 Duc 748, '01 748R (853cc)
3,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went into Massey Cadillac in Orlando on Monday to get my front motor mount re-tightened. I had driven into a driveway that literally went stright up and hit the cradle. Anyway, I take it to the dealer where I wait for 3 and a half hours until I get word that my car is done. I'm all excited because now I can get the hell out of there and get something to eat. Well, today I was walking towards my car in the parking lot of Walmart after buying some safety glasses for class and to my horror, I notice that the portion of the right front quarter panel that meets the leading edge of the front passenger door is bubbled out about a 1/4" at the bottom, slowly tapering smaller tawards the top. I quickly reach under the front end of the lower rocker panel where it meets the bottom edge of the quarter panel to see if something was loose, only to find everything still nice and tight. Apparently the tech working on it, missed the jack point, and ended up placing the foot of the jack on the bottom edge of the quarter panel, basically putting a 1/4 of the cars weight on a thin layer of metal........not good. I called them and told them what I had found and made an appointment for 4:30 this afternoon. I also took some pictures as well. From the pics I took, it's quite obvious that a jack was placed there, due to the impression and crack in the plastic on the bottom edge of the roack panel where it meets the body. If it has to stay there to be fixed, they damn well better give me a loner......and I don't care if I'm not 21 either. I can't believe a Master Dealer as large and prestigious as this one could allow something like this to happen. Anyway...I'm done with my rant...here's some pics.

The fist one is the outside of the car...you can see right away that some isn't quite right...

Here's two different shot's of both the left and right side for the comparison....the right (of f**ked side is first)..

notice the impressions, and cracks made in the plastic by the lift

now so you can really see how bad it is...the left (or not f**ked up side)..

Needless to say, I am now extremely dissapointed with this dealer, and most likely will never do business with them again. Perhaps they can quickly fix this and persuade me to stay as a customer.....not likely though.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
That sucks :(

This is exactly why I hate taking anything to anybody. Can't even trust 'em to change my oil. Probably try to put in gear oil, or leave the drain plug loose like they did to my friend... They'll find a way to rape you, intentionally or not...

Not that they're all incompetant, but...................... :suspense:

·
Registered
1994 Fleetwood 60" Stretch; '07 Avalanche, '95 Nighthawk
3,963 Posts
He may have put the foot for the lift in the wrong spot. They swing them out too far when they're in a hurry.

I had the same problem with my DTS. At the auctions they move them around with a forklift (many cars have damaged exhaust systems and trans pans too). I had the same bend and fender bulge. I pulled the rocker molding off, banged it back into place with a little sledge and the fender came right back into place. The rocker clips break when you take the molding off and are like $4 each (there's 16 of them or something like that).

Jim

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I lucked out. I brought it in, along with pictures from under the car I had taken and put on my laptop. The service manager came out, and brought it up on one of the lifts in the shop and had the lead tech look at it. The body guy will be in on Tuesday, and it will be repaired free of charge. To be honest, I was rather suprised with how it went. It's nice to see that there are still some dealers out there who would rather loose a little to help the customer than say no. I just don't see it that much anymore.

·
Registered
2010 Black Cherry CTS AWD
263 Posts
That sucks bro. The same thing happened to me when I bought my car. Three days after I bought it I brought back to the dealership to check something out and after they took care it and I got back home 35 minutes away, I noticed it. I called them up and told them it was their fault without a doubt :rant2:. I brought to them and they ended up taking care of it for me free of charge. It happened in the same spot as on your car. At least it's all right now. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I brought it in this afternoon after class around 1:50. Spoke with the service manager, who even offered to buy me lunch (which I graciously declined....Waffle House blows), and then he took it into the shop. At 2:30 he came over and got me. We walked outside to look at it, and she was good as new. Looks like I found my new favorite dealer. I was quite suprised actually at how well I was treated.

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
There are lots of guys who really don't know what to use as lift points.
I never use the pinch weld flange like that on the front.
It's just not strong enough to support that weight.
There is a large rail a few inches inboard from there that will handle it.
The pinch weld on the back is much stronger and doesn't seem to have as much weight on it.
You know the guy who did that is in big trouble.

Glad they made it right for you. I have seen a lot worse than that.
It's really bad when guys try to lift Venture vans right there, those are the worst!

·
Registered
1994 Fleetwood 60" Stretch; '07 Avalanche, '95 Nighthawk
3,963 Posts
It could be worse....

One of the buildings I worked in had underground parking. The town wouldn't allow outside parking so when my company wound up with more employee cars than parking spots they created an "MVP" program. "Modified Valet Parking". They doubled up cars in spots, one behind the other. The deal was if you were there for a full day you take the inside spot. If you weren't going to be there the full day you take the outside spot (thus blocking the guy in the inside spot from leaving). You were supposed to leave your keys with the security guard closest to your car. No one ever did.

So, when you go to leave and someone has blocked you in, you go get security and they move the car. If the schmuck has not left their keys, they jack the car up, put it on dollies and roll it out of the way. Trouble is the security guards aren't trained in how to properly jack up cars. They jacked them up by the fascia, floor pans, random suspension parts, etc. I saw a guy put a jack under the rear floor pan of a Honda one day. I really thought the jack was going to go through the floor. He kept pumping and pumping but the car wasn't getting any higher. I could hear the floor buckling, but it finally did get up in the air.

Jim

·
Registered
2004 Escalade, 07 Road King, 08 Challenger SRT8
712 Posts
Glad they fixed it... although it IS a little sad, that, I am actually mildly amazed that they actually did what they RIGHTFULLY SHOULD DO....

Ranger had his mirror scratched on the Seville, too, and they did take care of that... so it is nice to hear some success stories.

I've heard worse, to be honest... My neighbor bought a brand new Explorer... at it's first oil change, it physically fell off the lift... and then it was a huge argument, because the insurance companies wanted to fix it, not junk it....

Glad you got your car fixed. Even a lunch offer, that's nice. S**t happens, but at least they made it right.

·
Registered
1999 Seville STS
24 Posts
I realize old this is an old thread but my (new to me) 99 STS had the exact same quarter panel problem where it was sticking out about 1/4" between the door and tire. I'm sure it wasn't that way when I first bought the car, so I figure they must've accidently done it when they were working on the steering rack a few days ago.

Anyway, I turned the wheel out of the way and unscrewed the one black side screw next to the wheel and pulled the lower rocker panel trim piece a little out of the way. While holding the trim piece out of the way, I took a vice grip to the weld seam where the 2 fender bolts are, and bent the whole weld seam back towards the center of the car till the quarter panel was flush. Did the vice grip in 3 places about an inch apart to make sure the seam was at least straight where the qualter panel mounts. Took about 10 minutes and it looks like it's supposed to now. I was bummin' cause that was gonna be yet another thing I'd have to piss and moan about when I go to the dealer Thursday.

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
I never lift the car there. The pinch weld flange on the front is not strong enough to hold all the weight. I have seen that happen on many cars and it can push the fender right up into the door.
I am sure if you bring it up with the Service Manager they will work with you.

·
Registered
1999 Seville STS
24 Posts
EDIT: Posted the same info I did on the first page.

Jim
Kinda, I suppose. Didn't mean to step on anyone's toes. I guess I was thrilled that I was able to fix it so easily. It looked like crap and was kinda freaking me out. Anyway... Just adding what I tried since I thought it worked quite well and only took a few minutes.

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah, that's what I ended up doing after the shop that put my reman tranny in did it do. I was fed up with bring it back to have them fix it, I just crawled under the car and fixed it myself.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts