Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
XT5
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Motor Trend reviews the new Cad CT4 sedan noting rectification of a defect:
"Don't you hate it when you just stop at a light and it turns green while the engine's shutting down? In order to smooth these "change of mind" events, the CT4-V's starter anticipates a stop/start event and synchronizes its gear with the flywheel, so that there's no hesitation or harshness on a restart," An extra solenoid pre-engaging the starter gear with the flywheel or some other goofy idea to wear out and leave you stranded!

·
Registered
2017 XT5
260 Posts
Is the system different from what's in my 2017 XT5? I don't notice any hesitation, but if the engine restarts while I'm still sitting there -- such as because the AC kicked on -- the whole vehicle often shudders. Not a quality feel.

·
Registered
2020 XT5, AWD Platinum, Garnet Metallic, 20" Ultra-Bright
1,916 Posts
Motor Trend reviews the new Cad CT4 sedan noting rectification of a defect:
"Don't you hate it when you just stop at a light and it turns green while the engine's shutting down? In order to smooth these "change of mind" events, the CT4-V's starter anticipates a stop/start event and synchronizes its gear with the flywheel, so that there's no hesitation or harshness on a restart," An extra solenoid pre-engaging the starter gear with the flywheel or some other goofy idea to wear out and leave you stranded!
Once again the auto magazine article was written by someone with limited technical knowledge. The 2017 XT5 start/stop was designed in the same manner which has ECM controlled solenoid engagement that meshes the pinion and flywheel at 50 rpm as the engine slows for a stop enabling immediate restart before a complete stop. I posted a link to a detailed description of the ECM controls and robust starter which I cannot find at this moment.

In the past we could depend upon auto magazine articles for factual information rather than the focus on creative headings for click-bait.

·
Registered
2017 XT5 2019 XT4
149 Posts
The stop/start on my 2017 XT5 is hardly noticeable. During the summer with the AC on constantly it rarely engages. If you have a problem with it make sure your dealer has installed any and all software updates. My dealer (Gold Coast Cadillac) is very good about that.

·
Registered
XT5
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Once again the auto magazine article was written by someone with limited technical knowledge. The 2017 XT5 start/stop was designed in the same manner which has ECM controlled solenoid engagement that meshes the pinion and flywheel at 50 rpm as the engine slows for a stop enabling immediate restart before a complete stop. I posted a link to a detailed description of the ECM controls and robust starter which I cannot find at this moment.

In the past we could depend upon auto magazine articles for factual information rather than the focus on creative headings for click-bait.
Well, I agree with you about the journalism and would like to see the article. In 2017, the salespeople sold me the wrong VIN # and went out to drink their lunch. I had time to go by Parts and look at a starter. It looked like a standard starter and cost $325 which is less than a Mexican replacement for a Mercedes starter (why I was buying a new car). Parts guy didn't think it was special as that would have cost more. I bought the XT5 anyway after coercing an extra $100 out of the dealer for making me wait and in confidence I could sabotage stop-start. Anyway, the stupid journalist would not have written about stop-start unless the press bulletin he received from GM said somethng about it. Face it, these guys are too stupid to have made this up. And my dealer went out of business.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Had Start/Stop on our 2018 Terrain Denali didn't bother us at all except when we pulled into our garage and stopped, it would turn back on when shifted back into P. Haven't had the XT5 long enough to really see how it is working.

Reactions: rudeney

·
Registered
70 Posts
The stop/start on my 2017 XT5 is hardly noticeable. During the summer with the AC on constantly it rarely engages. If you have a problem with it make sure your dealer has installed any and all software updates. My dealer (Gold Coast Cadillac) is very good about that.
My dealer has installed all the available updates, and it's still pretty awful. The worst thing is when it dies just as I'm about to stop, going like 0.5 MPH or so? The whole car lurches to a stop. The engine starts up fairly quickly of course, but power does not seem to be available quite immediately, leading takeoff to be somewhat sluggish compared to if the engine hadn't stopped.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Had Start/Stop on our 2018 Terrain Denali didn't bother us at all except when we pulled into our garage and stopped, it would turn back on when shifted back into P. Haven't had the XT5 long enough to really see how it is working.
If your Terrain is like my XT5, you can just shut it off at that point instead of going into park. It will put itself into park.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts