Cadillac Owners Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
04 XLR, 98 DeVille, 63 Coupe De Ville
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok finally weather and time was right to look after my XLR after I noticed a really rough idling and no power.

What I checked first of all: no invaders, bolts on intake were fine - although it's not possible to check
torque on every screw I checked it with a small wrench that fit into the tiny places.
Spark plugs fine, coils fine.

BUT: As I registered a drop of oil coming out of the cables coming from VVT solenoids / magnets I pulled all plugs and connectors and there is oil everywhere.
I know this is a common problem with Mercedes but never heard of it on Cadillacs.

Anyone else had experienced this?
Would be thankful for help.

Sammy

· Registered
116 Posts
Ok finally weather and time was right to look after my XLR after I noticed a really rough idling and no power.

What I checked first of all: no invaders, bolts on intake were fine - although it's not possible to check
torque on every screw I checked it with a small wrench that fit into the tiny places.

BUT: As I registered a drop of oil coming out of the cables coming from VVT solenoids / magnets I pulled all plugs and connectors and there is oil everywhere.
I know this is a common problem with Mercedes but never heard of it on Cadillacs.

Sammy
More than likely you have a internal sensor leaking, a simple replacement of the sensor should solve your problems.

· Registered
3 Posts

Sammy
Yes im having the same issue. I purchased all 4 new magnets, same exact part number and the end of the cam that goes into the magnet is to big so im not sure what to do. I clean the connections and the car will run fine for about 2 weeks. then i have to clean them again.

· Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes im having the same issue. I purchased all 4 new magnets, same exact part number and the end of the cam that goes into the magnet is to big so im not sure what to do. I clean the connections and the car will run fine for about 2 weeks. then i have to clean them again.
What part numbers do they have?

· Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Part number should be correct. I bought some but did not replace them yet.
In the manual it says you have to center it with a metal pin to get them on, did you do it that way?

· Registered
2008 XLR
32 Posts
Done hundreds never seen any that did not fit.there is only a few thousands ckearance as they have oil keepong the magnet from touching. You need a. Alignment tool to properly position them but they slip on.

· Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Done hundreds never seen any that did not fit.there is only a few thousands ckearance as they have oil keepong the magnet from touching. You need a. Alignment tool to properly position them but they slip on.
I was wondering how to align then, because once the plastic plug is pulled it is done.
How to get it sealed again?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts