Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1992 Sedan deVille
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1992 Sedan DeVille.... The release cable broke trying to open the hood. I managed to remove the front grill (don't know if I needed to or not), still can't get it to release after prying on this and that. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

Joey

·
Registered
06 STS-V, 94 Fleetwood TS
754 Posts
You will need to fashion a stiff coat hanger to have a small hook at one end and then navigate it to the lever that the cable was attached to at the hood latch.

Once you find it it will come open very easy... the only problem is finding it.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Broken Hood Cable

My hood cable broke late last year (90 Deville). Good thing I never needed to open it for any emergencies because I didn't get it replaced for 6 months! Anyway, I had taken my car in for some regular maintenance and had the mechanic (NOT Caddy dealer, I hate 'em, hate 'em, HATE 'em!) replace it for about $150. I'm glad I did! They had no problem opening the hood (they went from underneath the car in front of the radiator, never took the grill out - other than that, not sure how they popped it), but he said it was a real bear getting the new cable through the grommet on the firewall. Afterwards, the hood would still "stick" when pulling the release lever. I WD40'd the latch really well and now it pops open effortlessly.

·
Registered
1992 Sedan deVille
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: Broken Hood Cable

AZD - I'm afraid Murphy's Law was in effect for me. Two days ago I drive the car to work, no problems, that afternoon I drive home and about 3 miles from home I hear a terrible noise. I pull over, hood opens fine and I notice that one of the pulleys that should have 3 bolts only has one! I close the hood and restart the car, the noise stops, but the charge light comes on and I lose power steering, ok the belt came off. I pull over again and then the cable breaks!! I drive home with no PS and my eye on the temperature light (no gauges - the light never came on). Anyway, I have a broke car that I can't fix because I can't open the hood! To top it off, this Caddy is my mom's! well at least it didn't break down on her.

Stealth - I'll try your coat hanger trick, hopefully it'll work. Good to see you brag about the miles. My 1986 Z28 has 251,000 with the same hardly ever worked on engine and tranny. My '95 Vette has 96K. No trailer queens for me!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hood Latch Cable Broke

I own a 92 Sedan DeVille, and I had the same problem like 2 months ago....I took it to a body shop where they got the hood open and fixed the cable for like $100. I tried doing it myself, but said screw it and took it in.

·
Registered
1992 Sedan deVille
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ssstealth said:
You will need to fashion a stiff coat hanger to have a small hook at one end and then navigate it to the lever that the cable was attached to at the hood latch.

Once you find it it will come open very easy... the only problem is finding it.

Good Luck!
Well maybe my luck is changing. I sacrificed a coat hanger and popped the hood the first try! Thanks again sssteath!

Come to find out the cable is not broke, but the plastic anchor on the hatch mechanism is broken, so when you pull on the cable it does not pull the latch at the correct angle.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Please tell me where the hood latch is located. I have the same problem on my 1992 Deville and need to know where to guide the coat hanger.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1992 Deville
15 Posts
Please tell me where the hood latch is located. I have the same problem on my 1992 Deville and need to know where to guide the coat hanger.

Thanks.
I wonder if you ever figured out where the guide the coat hanger. Would someone please post a picture of the hood latch lock so I can open the hood on my 92 Deville? I can't find the location or know which way to pull.

·
Registered
1992 Deville
15 Posts
Does anyone have an answer to the above post? I can't PM Mr. Kapparick because I don't have 50 posts. Too bad, too, becacue he posted his question in Jan. I figure he might have gotten his hood open by now:)

·
Registered
1992 Deville
15 Posts
Does anyone have an answer to the above post? I can't PM Mr. Kapparick because I don't have 50 posts. Too bad, too, becacue he posted his question in Jan. I figure he might have gotten his hood open by now:)
I got to answer my own question through trial and error. So there is no guess work for the next poor guy, here is what you do. Facing the front of the car, go through the top of the grill with a stiff coathanger that is about 20 or so inches long and has about a four inch crook to your left and another half inch hook at the tip going the same direction as the crook. Inside of the grill, you will see, just to the right of center, a bumper spring. Put your wire through just to the right of this. Guide it towards the plate towards the rear. With a good light, it's probably the last thing you will be able to see. Go around that plate with your crook, snag the latch and pull to the right. It shouldn't take too many tries. Once you find it, it pops easily. It was very helpful for me to see what that latch looked like. I searched E-Bay for a Cadillac Hood Latch for a '92 Deville and there they were--tons of pictures of the damned thing! I hope that this post and others preceding will be helpful to others. A local Cadillac dealership in my town wanted $160 just to look at it. I said "no way". Glad I did.

·
Registered
2005 V8 AWD SRX
76 Posts
My 91 Deville had the cable release snap right at the lever. I was able pull on the cable by cutting the housing aways down the line, then wrapped it around a pair of pliers and pulled. This was all done from inside the vehicle. Of course this will only work if the cable snapped at the release. However, I suspect that this is the point that most often snaps due to the point of stress. I accomplished this within 5 minutes. Now I just need to find a replacement cable.

·
Registered
2005 V8 AWD SRX
76 Posts
I thought I'd update that I found a great replacement cable that will cost about $10. Once you get the hood open, remove the old cable but leave the housing as it is. Go to your local bicycle shop and ask for a tandem bicycle shifter cable and ask for a couple of knarps. (I know this sounds weird but they should know what you mean.) The cable will be almost identical to the one you removed and the knarps are little barrels that tighten onto cable via a tiny screw. Don't try to precut the wire. :tisk: Just feed it though the housing from either side. It should slide nice and smoothly with maybe a hangup or two that are easily remedied. Once you have the cable in place, tigthen a knarp onto each end and viola, you can once again open your hood.:)

·
Registered
Cadillac
1 Posts
philipper's post was right on target to help me get the hood open on my 1990 Sedan Deville. I removed the grill before reading the post but I beleive you can see the latch and spring better with the grill out. The plastic cable holder near the end of the cable and next to the hood latch is broken. Now I will have to decide if I am going to replace with a complete new cable or not.

jodyk24

·
Registered
1992 deville
1 Posts
I just went through 3 hrs of trying the coathanger method with no success, but I did succeed using a screwdriver, and this is how I did it. First I took off the grill, which later I found I probably really did not need to do. If you look directly at the top middle of the assembly, you can see a channel where the latch bar attached to the hood fits into. In this channel you can see part of the latch assembly in back of the plate that has a square notch in it. Find the longest flathead screwdriver you can find that will still fit in this notch. Insert the screwdriver and turn the handle counter clockwise until the latch releases. Too easy! I googled images to help, but you have to understand these images are shown from the opposite side (from the engine compartment). I'm pretty sure this notch was put there just for this reason.

·
Registered
1995 SEDAN DEVILLE-4.9 & 1978 SEDAN DEVILLE-425
1,673 Posts
I got to answer my own question through trial and error. So there is no guess work for the next poor guy, here is what you do. Facing the front of the car, go through the top of the grill with a stiff coathanger that is about 20 or so inches long and has about a four inch crook to your left and another half inch hook at the tip going the same direction as the crook. Inside of the grill, you will see, just to the right of center, a bumper spring. Put your wire through just to the right of this. Guide it towards the plate towards the rear. With a good light, it's probably the last thing you will be able to see. Go around that plate with your crook, snag the latch and pull to the right. It shouldn't take too many tries. Once you find it, it pops easily. It was very helpful for me to see what that latch looked like. I searched E-Bay for a Cadillac Hood Latch for a '92 Deville and there they were--tons of pictures of the damned thing! I hope that this post and others preceding will be helpful to others. A local Cadillac dealership in my town wanted $160 just to look at it. I said "no way". Glad I did.
Caddy dealer wanted $160 just to look at it? Man,that should be illegal.

·
Registered
1992 deville
48 Posts
Hood stuck shut. 1992 Deville

Pleeeeeze help.

The hood on my 92 deville is STUCK closed. !

I have the grill out, I've tried evvverything suggested,

And it is NOT budging!!!

The car is sittin in the drive way, dead battery, I e spent hours now??

Can anyone help so I can get the hood open??

Thanks

·
Registered
1992 deville
48 Posts
Help please

My 92 deville hood is sssssstuck!!

I've tried everything listed here including taking the grill out.
What do now???

The car is in the yard, dead battery.

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
A more descriptive thread title would be nice next time...

Does the hood release lever feel stuck, or disconnected?

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,470 Posts
Re: Hood stuck shut. 1992 Deville

kompressor1, You'll notice that your original thread title has been edited, as well as the language in your post. Using "creative language" is against the forum Rules and Guidelines which you signed when you registered as a member.

Also, your thread has been merged with the earlier one - apparently identical problem - that you brought out of hibernation.

CF Staff.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts