Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2005 CTS 3.6L Luxury/Sport
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2005 CTS Luxury pkg. Does anybody else have a whistling
noise that comes up arounf 70-80mph?? Not only do I have this whistling sound, but the cabin in general is very noisy. I have wind sounds that
seem to be coming from the front windsheild.

Does the CTS have a loud cabin in general?

I've had bmw's and Lexus' and they were both very quiet.

Is this something that I should just put up with or should I take it
back to the dealer? I could only imagine them telling me that the noise
is normal?

Any feedback is appreciated/

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
28,957 Posts
My '04 is pretty quiet. Compared to my '01 Buick Regal GS it is virtually silent. Maybe you can take a demo ride at another dealer to compare. The only strange noise I have is from the left rear area that sounds like someone blowing gently across the top of a coke bottle but I really have to concentrate to hear it. A trick I have used to find wind noise is to use masking or drafting tape around doors and windows to see if it makes a difference. Sometimes the cure is a simple adjustment.

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
Is that whistling noise coming from the rear differential. I have noticed that there seem to be a howling noise coming from the rear diff with some CTS owners. Hope that is one it is. My 04 "was" relatively quiet, but after my upgrades it got a little loud...but cabin noise is still low.

http://www.cardomain.com/id/pjohnesq

·
Registered
127 Posts
pjohnesq said:
Is that whistling noise coming from the rear differential. I have noticed that there seem to be a howling noise coming from the rear diff with some CTS owners. Hope that is one it is. My 04 "was" relatively quiet, but after my upgrades it got a little loud...but cabin noise is still low.

http://www.cardomain.com/id/pjohnesq
Rear diff noise is more of a whine than a whistle, and it usually goes away, or at least changes when you let off the throttle.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I had a 2004 lux/sport and my interior was fairly quiet. Not Lexus quiet, but certainly not loud. I had it up over 80 on the highway many times, and had very little wind noise, and no whistling at all.

Mine did start to exhibit the rear differential whine, but that was only at speeds between about 25 and 35, and only when power was being applied.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Dogzlife - I agree with you, I recently picked up my second CTS, a 2005 3.6 1SC and I also feel that the cabin is very noisy mechanically compared to my 2003 3.2 CTS. I'm seem to have 2 different whine/howl noises that I can detect that seem to be different from each other. I am getting a whine from the front of the car/engine bay during acceleration. It almost sounds and feels like it's a type of alternator/belt whine. It happens everytime I accelerate.

Then I seem to get another type of whine/howl at speed when the transmission drops into overdrive between the range of 1,500 - 2,200 RPM's. If I tap the accelerator between those RPM's, the whine/howl increases and decreases with the acclerator. This whine seems to be coming from the center of the car or tranmission. It happens in both sport mode and normal. Although I now tend to leave it in sport mode because it pulls a little more RPM's at speed and the whine lessens.

I am a huge CTS supporter, obviously I bought 2. But this amount of mechanical noise/whine/howl is simply unacceptable in a luxury car. My family's other cars (Yukon, Mountaineer V6 abd VW Beetle) are all quiter mechanically than my new CTS. To top it off, the dealer is giving me the old thats normal and I'm not aware of any whine/howling problems with the 2005 CTS. I'm in the process of gathering my evidence from this forum, getting copies of TSB's to give a file to the dealer (copies to the GM & service writer) and dropping it off and telling them to call me when it's right. Can anyone shed some light on specific TSB bulletin numbers for the 2005 3.6 CTS on the whine/howl topic where as their 2005 was cured of the whine/howl issues. Thanks !

·
Registered
164 Posts
I was initially disappointed in the amount of noise in the cabin. I tried to narrow it to a specific location and the best I can come up with is the wheel wells.

We're driving the Luxury Sport with the 17 inch factory wheels. They are almost as wide as the units on my truck.

CalTrans resurfaced about 10 miles of asphalt down in San Clemente earlier this year. It is absolutely quiet while driving on it. We don't realize how much noise is created by the tires.

For those with rear end howling, it's amazing you can actually hear at highway speeds. I'd expect it to be a vibration resonating throughout the cabin.

·
Registered
2005 Black Raven CTS 1SB, Luxury and Sport packages
172 Posts
I have a 2005 3.6 1SB, and I also test drove a couple others on my dealer's lot. They all have some whine and vibration when shifting up into second and third gear, particularly when the engine is cold. Now that mine has over 1000 miles on it, it is almost gone. There is still a slight whine sometimes when cold, and maybe a very faint hint intermittently after it is warmed up. It took about 800 miles before it really began to diminish. I will wait to see how it is at about 2000 miles before I decide if it is a design flaw.

·
Registered
493 Posts
The only time I turn the Bose down from '11' is when I want to hear the engine growl as I floor it up through the gears.

No noises that I don't like so far. :lildevil:

·
Registered
634 Posts
I just got my new '05 last week. I traded a 2003 model for it and I can tell you the '05 is certainly quieter. At highway speeds, I close the shade on the sunroof, and it helps to keep the noise down. But I have to say, I think the CTS could be quieter overall. As for the whistling, I haven't noticed this with my car. But if your dealer is as good as mine, they'll do their best to make it right.

·
Registered
160 Posts
My '05 is whisper quiet except for some minor drivetrain noise which I like.

Noise is all relative considering my previous vehicle...93 Trooper with 3 inches of lift, 33" MTs, and a homemade roofrack. That thing is about as quiet as a 737 in flight

·
Registered
91 Allante (gone), 06 SRX (gone)
4,396 Posts
I have a little wind noise at highway speeds coming from the right front windshield. I'll have them look at this sometime.

·
Registered
127 Posts
gpz1 said:
Dogzlife - I agree with you, I recently picked up my second CTS, a 2005 3.6 1SC and I also feel that the cabin is very noisy mechanically compared to my 2003 3.2 CTS. I'm seem to have 2 different whine/howl noises that I can detect that seem to be different from each other. I am getting a whine from the front of the car/engine bay during acceleration. It almost sounds and feels like it's a type of alternator/belt whine. It happens everytime I accelerate.

Then I seem to get another type of whine/howl at speed when the transmission drops into overdrive between the range of 1,500 - 2,200 RPM's. If I tap the accelerator between those RPM's, the whine/howl increases and decreases with the acclerator. This whine seems to be coming from the center of the car or tranmission. It happens in both sport mode and normal. Although I now tend to leave it in sport mode because it pulls a little more RPM's at speed and the whine lessens.

I am a huge CTS supporter, obviously I bought 2. But this amount of mechanical noise/whine/howl is simply unacceptable in a luxury car. My family's other cars (Yukon, Mountaineer V6 abd VW Beetle) are all quiter mechanically than my new CTS. To top it off, the dealer is giving me the old thats normal and I'm not aware of any whine/howling problems with the 2005 CTS. I'm in the process of gathering my evidence from this forum, getting copies of TSB's to give a file to the dealer (copies to the GM & service writer) and dropping it off and telling them to call me when it's right. Can anyone shed some light on specific TSB bulletin numbers for the 2005 3.6 CTS on the whine/howl topic where as their 2005 was cured of the whine/howl issues. Thanks !

The first noise you're talking about could be from the engine's cam drive. The CTS has a drive chain, some other cars use a belt. The belt is quieter, but it doesn't last the life of the car, and requires a professional to change it ($$$), usually at about 75,000 miles. If you don't change it and it breaks, the engine is usually toast. A chain lasts the life of the engine, and is unlikely to ever break. Personally I'd rather have the chain and a little more noise.

The second noise, which changes when you go off and on the accelerator, is likely to be rear differential. Does the noise go away when you lift your foot off the accelerator?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts