Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
99 Seville STS
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It’s been another trouble-free summer with Mrs Seville and I decided to give something back

Have had my mind on those for Seville owner’s dreaded cabin filters for a while now, who knows how long they have been sitting there and I know from my other cars how nasty they can look after just a few years.
So this weekend I decided to give it a shoot, I had no new filters available but wanted to start by finding out how hard it was to get them out.

Once I got the hang of turning them while pulling so they could pass the accelerator, all three came out rather easy.

They were full of debris but bone dry otherwise and no sign of mould, so I gave them a good vacuum cleaning and then decided I could install them back as an exercise for installing new ones later on.
First went in easy, then it got harder as # 2 was to engage with the underside of #1 and this was extremely hard to at the same time bending the filter.

I got in all three of them but was a bit uncertain about how they slide into each other, but as they went in, I thought it to be ok.

That showed to be all wrong , for later when I was testing to see how the airflow would be through the vents after the clean up of the filters, there was zero airflow and the HVAC fan didn´t respond and seemed to be stone dead.
I have pulled two of the filters out agian, but the third is stuck up in the slot, have tried sucking with a hose to the vacuum cleaner but without successes.
The stuck filter is one thing, but I don’t understand how it can have killed the whole HVAC?:(

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
20,108 Posts
you should have STOPPED when you had the 3 filters out -

I've never heard of anyone re-installing the old filters -
in fact - we suggest leaving the filters out - PERIOD -
all the filters do is keep the blower squirrel cage clean -

The stuck filter is one thing, but I don’t understand how it can have killed the whole HVAC?
my guess is that the top filter has been jammed into the bower squirrel cage -
thus physically preventing it from turning -

I remember this same conversation several years ago -

the solution was to use a metal coat hanger - straighten it out -
bend a small hook into the end - stuff it up into the remaining/stuck filter -
and rip it apart - slowly - piece by piece -

if memory serves me - it was a LONG and TEDIOUS process to get all the bits and pieces out -
but the end result was successful -

GOOD LUCK

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
70,723 Posts
Yup - this air filter thing goes back to at least 2006, when I joined. Pull the filter (all 3 pieces) and leave it out. Never regretted it for an instant.

You raise each filter section up as far as possible with a flat blade screwdriver, then slide in the next panel - the pull tabs should be taped back in place.

Use silicone dry spray in the slide slots - if you replace it.

2000+ Seville CAF.jpg

·
Registered
99 Seville STS
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes it was stupid of me reinstalling them filters and an even huger mistake not making sure they were interlocking properly, but I took for granted there would be a limited area for the filters, especially considering how hard it is to access the opening where they are to be inserted.

An usb camera I had borrowed for taking pictures under my house came to good use looking up the filter chamber, but the result puzzled me big time as the camber is as far as I can see empty….o_O
One should not be mistaken on the filter with its characteristic looks and all I see is a smooth shine surface, unless it’s a magic Seville the filter must have gone sideways

Found this old thread on a similar case, and in post #13 there is some interesting info, I pray that its the same design in his 2002 as in my 99
https://www.cadillacforums.com/threads/cabin-air-filter-stuck.71610/#post-664241
I have taken off the left side inner kicker panel and glove box this evening, next is trying to find out where the blower fan is located

Attachments

·
Registered
99 Seville STS
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The good news is that I found the #3 filter behind the blower fan, it’s not jammed in there as I can stick in a screwdriver and easily move it around

The bad is that I cant get the blower fan out, all six screws are off and I turned it clockwise (looking up) 30* as the service manual says, but now its totally jammed and I cant get it anywhere, tried to cut off some of the insulation to get more room but without any result so far.

·
Registered
99 Seville STS
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
After a long battle the front blower finally came off yesterday.

My BIG mistake was that I read the service manual which stated it should be turned clockwise a quarter of a turn to come out.
That showed to be a BIG blunder as it totally locked itself against a stud in the firewall and I couldn’t get it anywhere, it took me hours to get it loose again as I was afraid of breaking it.

Once the blower was off, the third filter practically feel down my lap.

Before the reinstalling I cut off big chunks of the insulation to make room, and I was stunned how easy it came back on again.

I haven’t driven the car yet, but the HVAC seems to be back in business again and I don’t plan on installing any filters in the future, not after this drama ...

·
Administrator
70,723 Posts
IF the car is parked outside make sure the windshield air intake grilles are in place. If they consist of big slots and holes, install a section of black nylon screen under the intake grille assembly.

Leaves, chips, and bugs are the problem, not so much for dust.

Some of the replacement filter assemblies are charcoal-dusted for "odor control".. Nice idea, doesn't work in practical application.

·
Registered
99 Seville STS
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the tip Sub

I looked them over today, the net under the grill seem to be solid on both sides.

Took the car for a spin and the cooling seems better then ever and now without the hysterical fan speed it had before with the filters in (that showed to be pretty clogged)

Attachments

·
Administrator
70,723 Posts
Get out the shop vac. Even that little bit of leaf litter is too much. Hospital surgery ward clean at all times. As that stuff hardens and breaks apart it will get to the blower and HVAC stack ducting.

·
Registered
99 Seville STS
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Get out the shop vac. Even that little bit of leaf litter is too much. Hospital surgery ward clean at all times. As that stuff hardens and breaks apart it will get to the blower and HVAC stack ducting.
I did vacuum them yesterday but the problem is that there is a row of thuja threes just by the driveway where I keep the car, so they will soon look the same way again.

So I guess I have to start using a car-cover or install them filters after all….

1 - 10 of 10 Posts