Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2014 ATS 3.6 AWD
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2014 ats. There is the one plastic grommet with a screw down the middle holding the CD player in place. For the life of me I cannot get the screw out. It just keeps spinning and spinning even when I try applying a lot of pressure while unscrewing. The space in the glove box is so small there is no way I can get my drill in that space without taking the glove box off which seems like unnecessary work. Any suggestions to get the screw out?

·
Registered
2011 CTS Coupe FE3, 2003 Thunderbird, Gone 2013 ATS, 02 Deville
1,681 Posts
I had ATS with CD player and cabin air filter and I think I remember one screw that did not need to come out to get the player off.
can you send a picture?
You may need to use a small grinder to cut the head of the screw off, but send picture before that.

·
Registered
2014 ATS 3.6 AWD
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had ATS with CD player and cabin air filter and I think I remember one screw that did not need to come out to get the player off.
can you send a picture?
You may need to use a small grinder to cut the head of the screw off, but send picture before that.
This is not mine, it's from a Youtube video of the same car, but this is the screw and grommet I am referring to. I know this is definitely what needs to come out. My screw definitely does not stick out that far, its much flatter and just spins and spins when I try to unscrew

·
Registered
2014 ATS 3.6 Premium RWD, 2016 Corvette Z06, 2018 GMC Sierra Denali 2500HD Diesel
2,817 Posts
I use miniature vise grips for fasteners like these that turn without coming out, the grips allow you to pull out while turning. Also workable but less convenient is a small pair of pliers to do the same, choose a set where the jaws are parallel at the width needed to grasp the fastener. Least desirable but workable if you are careful is to use a flat blade screwdriver under the fastener head to apply outward pressure while you turn the fastener; this method is awkward and it is easy to damage the finish or your fingers.

Rodger

Reactions: dptacek9

·
Registered
2013 ATS 3.6 Performance
138 Posts
Mine is the same way on my 2013. I used pliars and if you just pull it down it will come out. Then just shove it back up and it holds. I think the housing the screw goes in is just plastic and strips very easily.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
I found this Youtube video show that screw and it shows the plastic insert for that screw.
See at

·
Registered
2016 ATS4 2.0T and a bunch of other stuff....
640 Posts
I used a small pick tool to get under the head of the screw and pull down as you unscrew with very little pressure on the screwdriver. It will come out, if you damage it you can get a pack of new ones at a parts store.

·
Registered
2014 ATS 3.6 AWD
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I ended up getting it out using a small locking pliers. Basically no screwing involved just pulled it right out. The head of the screw is pretty much ruined in terms of ever getting a bit in it again so I’ll be using this method from now on. Just pushed it straight back up when I was done, no screwing, and it seems to be holding fine. Just a bunch of plastic so I don’t think the threads were really doing much in the first place

·
Registered
2014 ATS 3.6 Premium RWD, 2016 Corvette Z06, 2018 GMC Sierra Denali 2500HD Diesel
2,817 Posts
Glad you got it out OK. Car manufacturers love to use push pin fasteners and this would be a good location for one in place of the screw.

I used a push pin retainer to disable the locking mechanism for the gas fill cover in my C7 Z06. This poor quality Rube Goldberg inspired Chinese locking mechanism is a known very high failure part and if it happens on a trip it would be a real pain because you can either try to rip the cover off without causing collateral damage or spend several . A push pin in the locking hole prevents the problem.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Just leave the HVAC on recirculate and the filter will not get dirty.

·
Registered
ATS Metallic Silver, 2.0L Turbo, Performance, Morello Red
286 Posts
Just leave the HVAC on recirculate and the filter will not get dirty.
Let's hope TheFlash is just kidding. To think just setting to recirculate is the answer...........is WRONG.

Unless you're lazy, n don't mind the HVAC system being compromised or enjoy airborne allergens, dirt, and dust, replace it.

As well, don't pay to have this done.................itz easy, I mean real easy.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts