Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
02 ESCALADE
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the laws on the front license plate and tint in California? Obviously its illegal but why now am I just getting pulled over and are the highway patrol putting their foot down on these items? Ive seen a huge increase in young teens tinting their windows, I think after seeing my truck. The officer mentioned a few days after I got pulled over that because of the new intersection cameras, we have to have a front license plate.

·
Registered
1989 Sedan DeVille is now just a fond memory ....
10,429 Posts
Vehicle code on tinting;
26708.5. (a) No person shall place, install, affix, or apply any transparent material upon the windshield, or side or rear windows, of any motor vehicle if the material alters the color or reduces the light transmittance of the windshield or side or rear windows, except as provided in subdivision (b), (c), or (d) of Section 26708.

(b) Tinted safety glass may be installed in a vehicle if (1) the glass complies with motor vehicle safety standards of the United States Department of Transportation for safety glazing materials, and (2) the glass is installed in a location permitted by those standards for the particular type of glass used.
Amended Sec. 2, Ch. 476, Stats. 1998. Effective January 1, 1999.
From the California Driver's Handbook, page 18;

A driving test, if required. This
test is usually given by
appointment only. For the
driving test, bring:

- your old license or instruction
permit, if you have one.

- a licensed driver.

- a vehicle that is safe to drive,
currently and properly
registered, and displays a
front and rear license plate.
The vehicle’s brake lights,
horn, parking brake, and
electric signals must work
properly and the vehicle
cannot have bald tires. The
driver’s side window must
roll down. The windshield
must allow a full unobstructed
field of vision and there must
be two rear view mirrors (one
on the left outside of the
vehicle).

·
Registered
2003 Cadillac CTS
5,074 Posts
You can tint only the rear windows (doesn't matter how dark as long as it is no the front windows) and you are suppose to have a front license plate. Sometimes they use the small things to pull you over....

·
Registered
290 Posts
the front windows can be tinted 70% lol which is basically stock .... front and back can be anything and the top 4 inches of your windshield can be tinted ... the front plate is for the interesection cameras and for radar

·
Registered
1989 Sedan DeVille is now just a fond memory ....
10,429 Posts
RaGzEmCeE said:
the front windows can be tinted 70% lol which is basically stock .... front and back can be anything and the top 4 inches of your windshield can be tinted ... the front plate is for the interesection cameras and for radar
The front license plate requirement has been in effect since I can remember, well before intersection cameras and radar. I began driving here in 76. I can't quote a specific vehicle code but I recall friends getting warnings or 'fix-it' tickets for lack of front plates. It has not been enforced religiously but if the officer chooses to, it's on the books.

·
Registered
1998 Seville STS
423 Posts
I've been in San Diego 3 years now and I've never had a Plate on the front. I've got the cover on the front and refuse to take it off. Never been pulled over(Knocks on wood). My car came with tint on the rear. I'll probably wait until I move back to Florida before I tint the fronts.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts