Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My interior sail panel broke for the second time. Four months ago, I had both sides replaced. Now the passenger side broke again - WTF! I can get it replaced under warranty but what a PITA!

I guess I can’t drive over 50mph with the windows down.:mad::mad::mad:

Has anyone else gone through a second set of sail panels??

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The interior panel between the back window and rear side window. It extends from the rear deck to the roof. It has the little "airbag" logo on it.

·
Registered
2005 Black CTS-V
500 Posts
I have noticed that the V has a TON more wind blow in the windows than in any of my other cars. Wonder why that is?

I haven't had the problem, but I also do not right around w/ the back windows down either. Sucks to hear!

·
Registered
05 Stealth Gray V
1,567 Posts
yes we all do. They only break at speeds over 100mph though. Kenny its the one that is next to the back window. Im sure that when you go over 100 your windows are up. My service advisor has them in stock for us.

·
Registered
'04 Raven CTS-V
415 Posts
gone through both of mine....retarded.

T

T

·
0 Posts
You can add that to the list of 100 things wrong with my car. I used double side tape to hold mine in place.

·
Registered
2011 CTS-V Coupe
1,635 Posts
It's a panel for sailing, dummy.
So that's why people used to call old Caddy's big old boats! lol good one

Yea if im going +100 im pretty sure i would have my windows up, although that day at the rack the fronts were down. Maybe it's just me but if im on the hwy with the fronts down, the wind noise seems to decrease if i at least crack the rears...

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V
2,018 Posts
Just found my rear passenger side hanging off this morning. Damn thing won't snap back in place. I don't recall going over 55-60 with the front windows down.

·
See you in the funny papers
04 CTS-V, 05 STS, 07 SRX- All sold :(
26,239 Posts
Damn thing won't snap back in place.
That's because it's not held in by snaps. Behind the "Air Bag" tab there's a hex head screw (7mm, I believe) that holds it to the body. The plastic tab that the screw goes through tends to break, and that's why the panel droops.

Pop the airbag tab off with a small, clean flathead and use a magnetic socket to remove the screw. Put the screw through a 3/4in. OD washer and screw it back in- problem solved permanently.

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V
2,018 Posts
That's because it's not held in by snaps. Behind the "Air Bag" tab there's a hex head screw (7mm, I believe) that holds it to the body. The plastic tab that the screw goes through tends to break, and that's why the panel droops.

Pop the airbag tab off with a small, clean flathead and use a magnetic socket to remove the screw. Put the screw through a 3/4in. OD washer and screw it back in- problem solved permanently.
YOU KNOW WHAT TONY?
Thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Get a double tube of Devcon plastic welder II. Butter up the plastic parts that are broken. Let it cure overnight and file it flat. Redrill if necessary. I have done a dozen of them. Works great..

·
See you in the funny papers
04 CTS-V, 05 STS, 07 SRX- All sold :(
26,239 Posts
Get a double tube of Devcon plastic welder II. Butter up the plastic parts that are broken. Let it cure overnight and file it flat. Redrill if necessary. I have done a dozen of them. Works great..
Considerably less ghetto then my method. I like it :thumbsup:.

·
Registered
2004 CTS-V Raven Black
72 Posts
My passenger side one busted also, the dealer has it on order.

I found I can keep the buffetting down if I roll the rear windows about half way down when I have the fronts all the way down.
Of course, that didn't stop it from breaking now did it?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I usually drive with all four windows down (all the way) to eliminate the wind drone.

Yes - at legal and not-so-legal speed limits!:bouncy:

·
Registered
Cadillac CTS-V
45 Posts
I've done the same and then added a piece of sheet metal molded around the plastic bracket. Used liquid nails to bond the sheet metal to the plastic. Then, drilled a hole thru the sheet metal for where the the hex screw goes through. No issues since. Washers have worked pretty well - using the sheet metal wrapped around the existing plastic bracket adds a bit more strength.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts