Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering if it is possible to bypass the drls so they do not shut off when the low-beams come on.

I saw a thread that showed a way to shut them off (how disable drlsbut I cant find a thread that shows how to keep them on.

Does anyone know how to do this

Thanks,

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you can dig up a wiring diagram of the DRL module it may be pretty easy...I'm guessing it's a wire that goes into the module that when hot disables them.
Im horrible when it comes to electrical things. So even if I was to find the diagram of the DRL module I wouldn't know what to do with it.

But I can follow directions, so If someone knew how to do it then I would feel confident in trying it out.

You have to be careful to insure that they will blink when the signals were on.
That is a big worry of mine.

But I dont think that was a problem when they disabled it in that thread I provided? So wouldn't the same principle apply here? :suspect:

·
Registered
05' CTS-V
3,718 Posts
find the diagram and I'll take a look at it....it can't be difficult at all...I'm sure the module just turns the drls off when it senses that your headlights have been turned on...only way it can do that is if it get's power or gets grounded...so just like the disable drl mod where you snip a connector, you'd just snip a different connector

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks Nikon Your a really big help!:highfive:

find the diagram and I'll take a look at it....it can't be difficult at all...I'm sure the module just turns the drls off when it senses that your headlights have been turned on...only way it can do that is if it get's power or gets grounded...so just like the disable drl mod where you snip a connector, you'd just snip a different connector

I think this is what your looking for?!

Here are the websites if you need it

http://www.rearwheeldrive.org/rwd/bluemalibu/ctsdrl

http://www.rearwheeldrive.org/rwd/bluemalibu/antidrl.jpg

·
Registered
05' CTS-V
3,718 Posts
pretty simple, it's exactly the opposite of the disable drl mod....to active the drls, pin H has to be grounded...to disable the drls, you cut H so it can't be grounded...now this is an easy thing if you just wanna rig pin H up to a switch and ground it out, or just ground the wire out....what I don't know is if the drl's have switched power or constant power...if they have constant power just grounding out pin H would leave the drls on ALL the time, including key off....if it's switched power they would turn on as soon as you started the car.....IF it's constant power you need to get a standard 4 pin relay and hook that relay up to switched power...then run pin H through the relay and your done.....it's a pretty simple mod if the DRL module has switched power....so you need to go shove a test light into pin E and see if you have switched or constant power..if it's switched, it's easy if not, just gotta run the relay...lemme know if you need me to explain it anymore.

·
Registered
05' CTS-V
3,718 Posts
You could also use a 3 way switch, that way pos. 1 would act as normal, pos. 2 would be off all the time, pos. 3 would be on all the time....seems like the best way to go, best of both worlds...I have to agree the drls look pretty good when you have your fogs on...especially hid fogs.....thanks for the idea...I love free mods :)

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
pretty simple, it's exactly the opposite of the disable drl mod....to active the drls, pin H has to be grounded...to disable the drls, you cut H so it can't be grounded...now this is an easy thing if you just wanna rig pin H up to a switch and ground it out, or just ground the wire out....what I don't know is if the drl's have switched power or constant power...if they have constant power just grounding out pin H would leave the drls on ALL the time, including key off....if it's switched power they would turn on as soon as you started the car.....IF it's constant power you need to get a standard 4 pin relay and hook that relay up to switched power...then run pin H through the relay and your done.....it's a pretty simple mod if the DRL module has switched power....so you need to go shove a test light into pin E and see if you have switched or constant power..if it's switched, it's easy if not, just gotta run the relay...lemme know if you need me to explain it anymore.
You could also use a 3 way switch, that way pos. 1 would act as normal, pos. 2 would be off all the time, pos. 3 would be on all the time....seems like the best way to go, best of both worlds...I have to agree the drls look pretty good when you have your fogs on...especially hid fogs.....thanks for the idea...I love free mods :)
Your awesome dude!

My buddy is a mechanic and a great one at that so I think we will be doing this this weekend!

Is there a risk of damage to my wiring system? If so what should I avoid?

What we will need? Can you make a list.

I will make a write up when we are done!

·
Registered
05' CTS-V
3,718 Posts
no risk of any damage unless you tap off the wrong wire(a hot wire)...it's just a ground, you can't hurt it....just get a wire tap, some wire and a switch if you wanna be able to have the DRL's function as normal....don't cut any wires, just tap off the wire for pin H and ground it out...when the switch is on they'll stay on, when the switch is off they act like normal...again the only problem you may run into is if it gets constant power....I honestly don't thing is does though.....thinking about it though, if you just tap onto the wire it may ground out water ever else it's hooked up to, in other words it may cause some funky back feed electrical problems...so if you run into any problems, then snip the wire, or like suggested before a 3 way switch...good luck and lemme know how it turns out...pics too and night if ya can...good luck!!

·
Registered
CTS 03
1,765 Posts
I tried to ground pin H and it keeps the DRLs all the time even when the car is off. So I think you will have to add a relay so it takes away the ground when car is off.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My friend wouldn't help me with this.... He is being a prick. So Im not sure what to do. While you broke it down, It still sounds like foreign language..:thepan: Im such an idiot when it comes to electrical its scary :nono:

Sammy does the blinkers still work? When there on?

·
Registered
05' CTS-V
3,718 Posts
ok, get a automotive relay (4 prong)... run pin H wire to pin 87 on the relay....run pin 30 on the relay to a ground and run another ground to pin 85 (can be the same wire as pin 30) now find switched power and run that wire to pin 86 on the relay....how it works is when you start the car (pass current through the relay) the circuit will close and ground out the drls...your on your own for finding switched power...I'm sure you can do a quick search and come up with a couple different spots....hope that helps, lemme know if you need more help.

This is an example of the relay you need to buy.
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3020762

·
Registered
CTS 03
1,765 Posts
My friend wouldn't help me with this.... He is being a prick. So Im not sure what to do. While you broke it down, It still sounds like foreign language..:thepan: Im such an idiot when it comes to electrical its scary :nono:

Sammy does the blinkers still work? When there on?
Yes, the signals still blink when I grounded pin H so add the relay described by Nikon and you're all set.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
hey guys I have it apart but have a question!

what's the switched power? Is that e wire on the diagram? if so do I split that to have it still run to the attery

thanks again

·
Registered
CTS 03
1,765 Posts
You don't want to use a switch because then you will have to remember to turn it off all the time. Pin E looks like battery which is hot all the time so that won't work.

You should add a relay and connect it to a wire a wire that has 12v only when the car is on. You may have to search for one under the dash or run a wire from a spare fuse in the fuse box that is switched. Then wire the NC (normally closed) contacts of that relay to the H wire. So when the car is on, the relay opens and breaks the contact and that will remove the ground.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I installed it!!!!!!!!!!:highfive:

Im Actually very excited not because of the mod but because my car didn't burn down. haha

Im not too sure how I feel about it though! Ill post some pictures!

Thanks NIKON AND SAMMY Z!

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Some Pictures

Here are some pictures!

I think it looks cool! My HID fogs are really powerful though and the drls dont show up until your like 200ft from the car.

During the day though you can defiantly see them

Attachments

1 - 20 of 27 Posts