Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2019 CT6 Premium Luxury SC
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After struggling with my 2019 CT6 Prem Lux SC since I bought it new, I have thrown in the towel and traded it in for a 2021 Genesis G90. My CT6's technology, which looks very cool on paper, never worked correctly; I attribute these defects to the engineers who dream up things they are unable to properly execute, as well as the build quality of GM. For example, the Super Cruise would stop working periodically, then work again, or just plain stop and not work, which was the secret code for "update." The various cameras would come on while stopped at traffic lights, various personal settings would randomly change, and the transmission started to get clunky after about 20k miles. The service advisers at Cadillac were embarrassed, especially after visit # 5 or 6 for the same issues. It did handle well, and the engine was spunky, but like a high-maintenance wife or girlfriend, the juice just wasn't worth the squeeze.

Since used car prices are so high now, I figured this was the best time. I received $40k in trade, which is about $8000 more than when I checked a year ago, with many fewer miles. The G90 is more luxurious (although admittedly less sporty), but solid and, so far, everything actually works! Best of luck to all who remain with Cadillac. I will never touch another GM product again. I also got a great deal on the G90, especially in today's market. including 0% financing and thousands off.

·
Cadillac Owners Troll
2019 CT6 Sport 3.0TT,2015 Luxury ATS , 2016 ELR, and Volt
2,464 Posts
After struggling with my 2019 CT6 Prem Lux SC since I bought it new, I have thrown in the towel and traded it in for a 2021 Genesis G90. My CT6's technology, which looks very cool on paper, never worked correctly; I attribute these defects to the engineers who dream up things they are unable to properly execute, as well as the build quality of GM. For example, the Super Cruise would stop working periodically, then work again, or just plain stop and not work, which was the secret code for "update." The various cameras would come on while stopped at traffic lights, various personal settings would randomly change, and the transmission started to get clunky after about 20k miles. The service advisers at Cadillac were embarrassed, especially after visit # 5 or 6 for the same issues. It did handle well, and the engine was spunky, but like a high-maintenance wife or girlfriend, the juice just wasn't worth the squeeze.

Since used car prices are so high now, I figured this was the best time. I received $40k in trade, which is about $8000 more than when I checked a year ago, with many fewer miles. The G90 is more luxurious (although admittedly less sporty), but solid and, so far, everything actually works! Best of luck to all who remain with Cadillac. I will never touch another GM product again.
Although I love my 2019 Sport, I find the G90 very interesting and will be on my next shopping list.

·
Registered
2020 CT6 Premium Luxury; 2009 DTS Premium Luxury; 2009 STS V6 AWD & 2002/2000 Eldorado ETC (traded)
319 Posts

Since used car prices are so high now, I figured this was the best time. I received $40k in trade, which is about $8000 more than when I checked a year ago, with many fewer miles. The G90 is more luxurious (although admittedly less sporty), but solid and, so far, everything actually works! Best of luck to all who remain with Cadillac. I will never touch another GM product again. I also got a great deal on the G90, especially in today's market. including 0% financing and thousands off.
Sorry to hear about your issues. It seems like the electronic problems take up a great deal of time going to the dealer, troubleshooting etc. But the fact that you did get as you said a "deal" on your new car indicates that the market is probably soft for that model and brand. I see very few Genesis models on the road which are being sold at a Hyundai dealer only a few miles from my residence. Compare that to the new Escalade which is selling over MSRP at some dealers (which I wouldn't buy since I like cars). But good luck with your new purchase.

·
Registered
96 FWB
2,476 Posts
You made me look. The 124" WB caught my eye right off = that's certainly some CT8 mojo that never was.... But boy MT sure poo-pooes it though, but for peculiarly un-quantified reasons:

Rectangle Font Circle Brand Transparency

This ?extention / ?reincarnation of a Hyundai has popped up before along with MB and others as alternates to the CT6 (which I'll certainly be seriously hunting in ~3 years), so I should stick it in the mix I guess for that magic sweetspot where depreciation crosses with value add.

I do sorta appreciate the perspectives referring to both 'juice not worth the squeeze' and 'special sauce' though. :cool:

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
The MT list is, of course, subjective. We looked at the G80 in 2018, before the G90 was released, and before deciding eventually on the CT6. Back then I, too, found the interior dated, although the ride was very plush too. My G90's interior has been updated and is what I would call elegant, vs. the Cadillac's which is, for lack of a better term, post-modern industrial (again, subjective terms based on individual perception). The G90's interior volume is crazy roomy (includng the back seat), even though dimensions are very close to the CT6. I have the 3.3L twin turbo. The front seats are very adjustable; the top of the line V8 comes with adjustable reclining rear seats (and, I believe, extending footrests). The CT6's ride is definitely sportier than the G90's, but I found the CT6's ride to be harsh on washboard roads, while the G90 handles everything, especially the bumps, well, if not in an exciting way, especially when set to Sport mode. The G90 of course also cruises on the highway and handles smooth pavement very well, so as always it is a trade-off. Besides, if I want a zen driving experience I have my Lexus.

I did like the eye-tracking of the CT6's Super Cruise, so it really is hands-off. When it works, of course. The G90's version of SC is not as accurate as the CT6's and requires occasional gripping of the steering wheel - bummer. However, the G90 assists with maintaining lane position on nearly all streets; the Cadillac SC would simply cut out and return for no apparent reason on large interstates (such as I-95), and would gradually degrade over a few weeks or a couple of months until it simply stopped working, usually on a road trip, requiring another visit to the dealer for an update. We would have kept the CT6 a couple more years but for the fact that I was spending more time at the dealer than home, and the deal was too good to pass up. Thank the Gods of Automotion. My stress level has been considerably reduced, and, happily, I find myself no longer cursing at my own car.

BTW, I am selling my Vitesse Motorpsorts controller (model 18A). Simple plug and play, no permanent alterations. Excellent way to increase throttle response for the CT6 to whatever level desired, from Eco-slow to snap your head quick. PM if interested.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I’ve been thinking it time to start looking for a different vehicle. My rare 2018 CT6 3.0 TT has right around 20,000 miles. Why do I say rare? It has none of transmission issues. It have been a great winter beater. It only gets driven for 6 months October through May in Florida. So it has never seen snow, ice or salt on the road. The other 6 months it sits on blocks in the garage. While it sits we’re up north for the summer. I have someone start it and check the trickle changer. I really enjoy the CT6. The 3.0 TT is plenty for me. Was going to get the V and don’t regret it at all. It is really time to start looking or get an extended warranty and drive it. It is only going to harder and longer lead times get parts. The dealers are already training there existing techs. New techs will only be trained for the electric vehicles. I really don’t like the direction GM is headed. This will be most likely my last GM vehicle. Right now I’m unsure what the replacement will be. I do know that an electric vehicle is not in the foreseeable future. Right now the only place for an electric vehicle is in my golf cart.

·
Registered
2012 Premium Awd Black Raven/Ebony
150 Posts

i want the gv80:)

·
Registered
2013 Cadillac XTS4 Premium
31 Posts
My xts was totaled a few weeks back. looking to replace and considering the ct6. Really want the supercruise version. are all problematic? was looking at the 2018 with 60k on it.
PS the XTS protected us well. But looks like the CT6 has 5star crash rating also. Any thoughts or anyone want to sell in the Massachusetts area?

·
Registered
50 Posts
My xts was totaled a few weeks back. looking to replace and considering the ct6. Really want the supercruise version. are all problematic? was looking at the 2018 with 60k on it.
PS the XTS protected us well. But looks like the CT6 has 5star crash rating also. Any thoughts or anyone want to sell in the Massachusetts area?
Same here. my CTS was totaled a month ago. Just bought a 2018 CT6. So far I’m loving it. Got super cruise running through on star a few days ago and it really neat. So far so good. I live in southern NH and use it on 95 and 495.

·
Registered
2008 DTS
1,414 Posts
I can't wait until they come down enough I can afford one. I thought you wanted a 19 or 20 to avoid the xmission issues???

·
Registered
2019 CT6 Platinum
126 Posts
I took a serious look at the G90 when I was shopping for my 2019 CT6. I found it to be a well-built car at a terrific value price, albeit with dated appearance and features.

However, my specific interest was a luxury car with sporty performance. IMO there is no other car out there that delivers that combination even now (Note: I owned a string of BMWs prior).

My 2016 CT6 was one of the first cars manufactured and it was prone to many issues right off the bat including the well-known tranny problems.

My 2019 CT6 has over 20K miles now. The only issue so far has been leather delamination in the corner of the dashboard. The dashboard was replaced under warranty....no problem since.

SuperCruise works fine for me. I use it all the time. Would miss it going to another car.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
GM is still hit or miss. In my experience, more hit than miss, but the cars from Japanese-owned companies (notice I did not say "japanese cars") have a much higher "hit" percentage. American performance cars are often the best bang for the buck on the planet...but there are dogs now and then. I have been a happy owner of many GM cars over the years (several from the 60's, 70's and '80's, but since 2002 I have owned 3 suburbans, 2 CTS-V's, and 2 Z06's). Only one had a real problem, a 2016 Z06 which I lemoned and replaced with another one which has been perfect.

Not a fan of cars from German companies but that is more for personal reasons than technical ones.

I am the "car guy" among my circle of friends, though, and unless they are looking for certain performance parameters or American "street cred" (whatever that means), I will usually suggest vehicles from companies who's names end in vowels.

·
Registered
2007 DTS
78 Posts
I'm not convinced the Cadillac forum is the right place to promote a Korean manufactured vehicle 🚮

·
Registered
2016 ELR / 2019 RAM Limited
180 Posts
I get yah man I’ve been there. I bought a new full jam CTS AWD 3.6DI, jaysus within the first year it spent most of its time at dealership. I had them print the service records you could thumb tack it to the ceiling tile it would go to floor back up to ceiling another thumb talk and almost reach the floor. I divorced Cadillac too … but really man I have seen first hand similar issues with overseas brands with the same kinds problems… I hear yah tho

·
Registered
2008 DTS
1,414 Posts
I get yah man I’ve been there. I bought a new full jam CTS AWD 3.6DI, jaysus within the first year it spent most of its time at dealership. I had them print the service records you could thumb tack it to the ceiling tile it would go to floor back up to ceiling another thumb talk and almost reach the floor. I divorced Cadillac too … but really man I have seen first hand similar issues with overseas brands with the same kinds problems… I hear yah tho
Yup, nobody wants the car made on Friday at miller time...

·
Registered
2020 CT6-V, 2014 CTS V-Sport Premium /04 SLS / 06 STS-V LC3/14 Chevy SS/ 08 Dodge Magnum RT
136 Posts

Wow you sound like my brother..... only backwards.. My brother owned a Genesis G70 with the twin Turbo V6 and about every 6 weeks it developed a problem and had to go back to the dealer. I was with George (my Brother) and we were traveling in his G70 and it started running really bad and turned out several ignition coils were going out. The dealer gave us rides home. After about two years of this back and forth to the dealer his G70's engine (with about 18k miles ) thru a rod and the dealer had to put in a new engine. After that my Brother says he will never touch another Genesis product again.. He still loves his ATS-V and it has been perfect and no issues to report.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Wow you sound like my brother..... only backwards.. My brother owned a Genesis G70 with the twin Turbo V6 and about every 6 weeks it developed a problem and had to go back to the dealer. I was with George (my Brother) and we were traveling in his G70 and it started running really bad and turned out several ignition coils were going out. The dealer gave us rides home. After about two years of this back and forth to the dealer his G70's engine (with about 18k miles ) thru a rod and the dealer had to put in a new engine. After that my Brother says he will never touch another Genesis product again.. He still loves his ATS-V and it has been perfect and no issues to report.
Glad to hear your brother is happy with his ATS. Obviously, any manufacturer can produce a dud (or a good one). One of of the reasons I looked at Genesis is because Hyundai has been top-rated for reliability for several years, and it comes with a 5-year full warranty. Cadillac, not so much - just look at its recent history, including the 8-speed transmission debacle as well as other quality issues shared by GM. My first choice would have been a Lexus, but this is my nominally my wife's car, so she had the final word (redundant to say wife and last word, no? LOL). Overall, the G90 is definitely not as sporty as the CT6, but it is an excellent highway cruiser. It may be soon to tell about reliability (only 1k miles so far), but so far, so good. I'll post as time goes on...

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm not convinced the Cadillac forum is the right place to promote a Korean manufactured vehicle 🚮
My intention is not to promote Genesis or any other brand. I am simply sharing my experience as a very disappointed (former) Cadillac owner and the alternative that I, personally, have found. I wasn't aware we were not allowed to do that. Are we now cancelling speech on this forum?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts