Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2008 DTS
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 srx4 with 73k miles on it. Recently I have been hearing a loud buzz or hum from the rear when I go over 45mph. Now i know its not the exhaust because when the car in in park theirs no buzz or hum. But once I go above 45 the noise starts. Any ideas and thanks for the info ahead of time.

·
Registered
05 srx awd v6 (gone), '07 GXP, 2010 li'l red wagon 3.6
3,177 Posts
If an actual "buzz", look for a loose flap, likely plastic or rubber, under and around the rear of the car. Maybe even loose weatherstrip. Perhaps something foreign caught under the car.

·
Registered
2008 SRX Sport Pkg
1,135 Posts
Hmmm... a couple of other thoughts come to mind:

1. fuel pump. I am not sure where it is located, but if inside the gas tank try topping up on fuel to see if the sound muffles. It is not a good idea to run on fumes anyway. In conjunction, when was the fuel filter last replaced? Pressure check.

2. wheel bearing. These can be difficult to identify, but sound would vary with wheel speed not with throttle amount. Typically gets louder the faster you go and may initially be silent at low speeds.

·
Registered
2008 DTS
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the buzz/hum does get louder as i increase speed. I suspect wheel bearings too. thanks for your help.anyone else have any input?

·
Registered
2008 DTS
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As an update,I just got an estimate for the wheel bearing repair from a very reputable local shop and the cost for parts and labor for both sides( may as well do both sides) is almost 800.00 dollars. Cadillac customer service can you help me out on this since Im retired GM on a pension?

·
Registered
2008 SRX V8
5 Posts
Just got the same buzzing noise as speed increases as well....07 srx v8 with 66k miles upon a recent alignment and subsequent roadyrip. Guess the service advisor at dealership says it's likely the wheel bearing as well. And guess I will be $800 into soon?

·
Registered
2008 DTS
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had the wheel bearing done today,only needed the left side,362.00 parts and labor with a 10% discount cause of AAA. Now my SRX rides like a Caddy again. Quiet and smooth.

·
Registered
2008 SRX V8
5 Posts
Got right rear done yesterday $580 with 1 hr diagnostic...ouch! The left rear done in sept, 13, front right may, 2014....all less than 66k miles. Service advisor says liquifiying road salt may be culprit for these WB/Hub issues...suggests running vehicles thru car wash regularly in harsh winter. Well, prior owner/ family member barely drove vehicle in winter months....so really not sure why 3 wheel bearings w/ so little winter use and low miles?? Any ideas WHY/reason...quality of part, etc? Just curious since I've had plenty of high mileage and 10yrs plus older cars without ever having to replace a single WB/Hub? Runs like a top now!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts