Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Cadillac STS Northstar V8
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I am looking to get a new set of exhaust for my caddy and found a set I like. I dont want to pay over $1000 for a brand new one and found some used ones for 400$. they are pretty used with a small dent in the muffler and a little scrape on the bottom of the tip. Is buying exhaust used a good or bad idea? Should I go ahead and get them or
suck it up and shell out the cash for a new set? Any input would be appreciated.

·
Registered
chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
6,397 Posts
Cadzilla8 said:
Hi I am looking to get a new set of exhaust for my caddy and found a set I like. I dont want to pay over $1000 for a brand new one and found some used ones for 400$. they are pretty used with a small dent in the muffler and a little scrape on the bottom of the tip. Is buying exhaust used a good or bad idea? Should I go ahead and get them or
suck it up and shell out the cash for a new set? Any input would be appreciated.
What car and what exhaust system?

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A corsa exhaust for an 05 sts. It's the same exhaust I know it'll fit I'm just worried if ill have problems since it's used. Or would it be fine?

·
Registered
chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
6,397 Posts
Cadzilla8 said:
A corsa exhaust for an 05 sts. It's the same exhaust I know it'll fit I'm just worried if ill have problems since it's used. Or would it be fine?
Depends on enviroment and how old it is. i.e. If the car is driven in winter, with alot of salt, the exhaust probably won't last as long as it should. A dent in the muffler wouldn't really be a turnoff for me though (granted we're talking about a coin sized dent, not a huge dent)

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah the dent isn't a big deal the scrape on the tip is a little annoying since they have a nice shine and are visible when you look at the back but as long as it's all there and it functions properly I'm fine with it being used.

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
28,963 Posts
Welding in a used exhaust system that has been contaminated with exhaust and road salt may be very problematic. The metal absorbs all kinds of stuff that can compromise the welds.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well this exhaust does not require welding and simply clamps on and that's how the previous owner used then

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bidding wars are the worst.... went up 200$ in the matter of minutes :annoyed: :bomb:

·
Registered
2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE
8,178 Posts
I wouldn't pay much for a used exhaust. As Koz notes, an exhaust picks up a lot of contaminants; who knows the actual condition of the clamps, welding might be required to prevent leaks.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah I set a limit for myself but I mean shelling out 1000$ on exhaust for an 05 caddy is a little ridiculous 500$ is a little more sensible

1 - 10 of 10 Posts