Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been in the market for a STS for a couple weeks now and I've come across some really highly priced STS's and some really amazingly priced STS's. My local cadi dealer 1 block away wanted to rap me on a 30k car for a 01 STS w/ 35k certified. I check and now they have one w/ slightly more miles 35k and its $26k and is also certified. Now i found another place about 20mins away w/ a 00 for $20,000aprox w/ 37k miles and every option. I checked the service history on it and there were about 10 things replaced im not sure if i should not even think about it or if i should consider it.

things replaced. Heated seat on left side, rear carpet from water leak in trunk, crank shaft sensors, power steering pump, power steering gear & rack, front seat cover, and blower motor. The steering components have me stumped. This car for 20k does not come cert but i would buy the GMPP warranty. Either way i dont want a car thats going to be in the shop ALLLL the time, but if it is it has to be covered im not wasting $ on anything other then regular maintence items.

Any suggestions? Im located in the chicago land area and need a new car pretty soon just looking for the best deal, and looking to cover my back as much as possible. Suggestions?

Jim

·
Registered
1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V
11,694 Posts
wildss said:
I've been in the market for a STS for a couple weeks now and I've come across some really highly priced STS's and some really amazingly priced STS's. My local cadi dealer 1 block away wanted to rap me on a 30k car for a 01 STS w/ 35k certified. I check and now they have one w/ slightly more miles 35k and its $26k and is also certified. Now i found another place about 20mins away w/ a 00 for $20,000aprox w/ 37k miles and every option. I checked the service history on it and there were about 10 things replaced im not sure if i should not even think about it or if i should consider it.

things replaced. Heated seat on left side, rear carpet from water leak in trunk, crank shaft sensors, power steering pump, power steering gear & rack, front seat cover, and blower motor. The steering components have me stumped. This car for 20k does not come cert but i would buy the GMPP warranty. Either way i dont want a car thats going to be in the shop ALLLL the time, but if it is it has to be covered im not wasting $ on anything other then regular maintence items.

Any suggestions? Im located in the chicago land area and need a new car pretty soon just looking for the best deal, and looking to cover my back as much as possible. Suggestions?

Jim
First let me ask, How did you get the service history on the one vehicle?

Out of all the years I have looked at, 2001 seems to be the best price/mileage/features year as of right now. I believe this so much so that I went out on a huge limb and purchased a buyback one from a Cadillac dealer two weeks ago! Oddly enough, the EXACT same problem with steering was the ONLY reason the vehicle (owned by a GM exec), was returned. GM Purchased the car back, replaced the entire steering rack, and slapped on an additional 12 months/12k miles of extended warranty at no charge. It is loaded with every option (premium luxury package) sans navigation, in White Diamond, with 26k miles. I paid 24k for this vehicle and I must say I love the car, and I have peace of mind knowing from here out, I have basically 3 years and 36000 miles of warranty from the get-go. (This coming from someone who would normally tell you to run for the hills) It is currently in the shop for the Crankshaft Position Sensor issue as well, which is kind of funny. The service advisor has also prepared all the previous work history on the vehicle for me. I knew going into a cadillac of all things ongoing trips to the dealer would be a semi-regularity, but hopefully once I get the initial things worked out it will be infrequent.

Back to your questions, dealers typically keep big profit margins in this kind of vehicle so it is not unusual to see huge spreads of pricing for it. I researced this car for along time before I bought it, and I must say ive seen prices as high as 31k and as low as 27k similar to mine all things being equal. I would say you should pay no more than 27 for something with under 30k miles in an STS,01 or newer. Stay away fron the LS's altogether, they are typically way over priced here in the mid-west where I live and you lose alot of features by dropping down to the LS model. Also, 20k is a nice price for that 00, but its a little fishy, especially with no long term warranty included.

Good luck.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I paid $22.9K for our 00 about 2 moths ago. It had 30K miles on it and was leased my an older lady in Texas. It has every option except the Nav and moonroof. I also tacked an extended warranty on to that price for a grand total (after tax) of about $25K.

-Eli

·
Registered
1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V
11,694 Posts
STSEli said:
I paid $22.9K for our 00 about 2 moths ago. It had 30K miles on it and was leased my an older lady in Texas. It has every option except the Nav and moonroof. I also tacked an extended warranty on to that price for a grand total (after tax) of about $25K.

-Eli

Beautiful car! Man Black was my first choice, looks awesome!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the replys fellas! I havent made a purchase yet but i will be looking at that 00 noted above for 20k tonight. This crank sensor and steering rack seems to be a common problem... i honestly cant buy something that will be in the shop as much as it should only reason i concered the 99 LS400 but then again im tacking 20k to the tach to make up the price difference. I tell you i should be excited about this next purchased and for some reason its causing more stress then it should. I guess i should just buy the car i want already instead of thinking about it...

Thanks for the tips! BTW, if you have the VIN# you can call your local stealer and they will provide you a listing over the phone obviously they cant fax it because of the previous customers info.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts