Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
'99 Deville and '98 Deville
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I looked at, and drove, a 2006 DTS today that a lady is selling for her mother who can no longer drive. It only has 60,000 miles on it; looks very nice but has 3 issues and I am hoping some of you Caddy Masters will give me some advice on this before I make a decision to buy it or turn it down.

First issue is the DIC is intermittent. Seller told me beforehand that it did not work and that she was told by a mechanic that it may need to be "rebooted." She, nor I, know what they mean by that. Reboot what? When I drove the car today the DIC actually came on and information was readable for a few minutes but then the words faded away but the screen stayed backlit. But the whole time the screen looked funny; it almost looked like a computer screen going bad. When it was working the information was there (mileage, etc...) so it seems like maybe it's just a bad screen. If so can I just replace the screen?

Second issue: when I started the car we were sitting in her garage and I could see the headlamps shining on the wall in front of us. I noticed the driver's side headlamp flickered a few times. I got out and tapped it in several places but could not reproduce the flicker by doing that. After the drive I pulled back into the garage and let it idle for about 5 minutes but the flicker did not happen again.

Third issue: owner says there is a small power steering fluid leak. It's so small that they have not been able to find where it's leaking from but they know it's leaking because they've had to add fluid on a few occasions. First time they noticed it was because the power steering was making noise and not working well at all.

If you guys don't mind helping out on this I certainly would appreciate it. I really like this car and don't mind doing some work if need be.

Thank you all in advance.

·
Registered
08 DTS
102 Posts
60,000 is nice. what's she want for it?

im not an expert but some of those issues sound kinda bad. i cant imagine not having a working screen if it's not just a quick screen replacement

·
Registered
1991 Deville
66 Posts
The DIC can be changed but you will run into an issue with the odometer then. The dealer can send it out to be set and programmed. This cost a few dollars though. I walked away from a car myself for this same issue. There is some paperwork or certificate if I remember you need to do, to replace the DIC because of the odometer.

Headlight assembly can be costly. You can buy an aftermarket one like I did for 350 dollars. They are High Intensity discharge lamps, there is a high voltage supply in each assembly that drives the bulbs. To replace will take about 3 hours. There are videos out there. I had to replace mine last year.

·
Registered
2006 DTS, 1996 STS - RIP
302 Posts
Our 06 has had the power steering leak problem for about 5 years and in the last
few months has gotten so bad that it is using about half a pint in 1000 miles,
going in next week for repair. I saw it mentioned here that a leak is common,
not sure if the common problem is in the same spot as ours which is the top
hose leaking at the crimp.
The headlight flicker recently started also.
Our DIC is working fine.

·
Registered
2007 DTS LUX II 75k - Once owned 1998 Deville & 2002 Deville
241 Posts
I personally would never buy the first year of a body style change. I would wait and let them work out most of the bugs.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry for the delay in responding; I had password and username issues trying to get logged back in. I bought the car for $3500. The mileage was too good to pass up. Body and paint is fantastic and the interior is great but it was very dirty. I spent the past two days cleaning it thoroughly. The DIC has amazingly fixed itself. I know it sat for several months without being driven so maybe all it needed was some action??? I do have to replace the driver's side front turn signal bulb and the brake pedal doesn't come back all the way to where it should so the brake lights stay on if you don't lift up on the pedal.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for that info. I bought the car and after driving it for a day the DIC started working fine. Who knows???

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I found that there is/was a recall for the power steering leak on a hose because of a bad crimp. I don't know how long a recall is good for, do you?

·
Registered
2006 DTS, 1996 STS - RIP
302 Posts
I found that there is/was a recall for the power steering leak on a hose because of a bad crimp. I don't know how long a recall is good for, do you?
No, I don't know.

Another thing to watch out for is strange electrical problems that I've written
about here. There is a firmware update that you should try to have done if it
doesn't already have it. Try to find a good dealer to do it.

·
Registered
2010 Escalade ESV & 2007 DTS
153 Posts
The flickering headlight usually needs a bulb and controller. Replace both as a set.

Meh on the PS fluid. When it gets terrible then do something about it.

Sounds like you need fresh brake fluid and a flush. That may help on the brake pedal returning to proper position.

Great deal overall though! I have 193k on my 06 DTS and it is a beast!

·
Registered
2006 dts,past03whitediamondsevillests-someday will have another seville/eldorado
168 Posts
My drivers side had randomly started going out. Replaced the bulb.

The DIC screen is what I would be worried about. Sounds like a pain and could be expensive. But if the body, interior is as clean as you say, and with the low miles, I'd say a good buy at 3500.

Can't beat the nice riding big car and northstar power

·
Registered
2006 DTS
201 Posts
That's a great deal you got. Once your issues are addressed you'll love the ride. I had power steering issues two years ago and had to replace a hose, and also part of the line which had corroded.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm loving it so far. A very different ride from my "99 Deville but very sweet.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That's great to hear that about your DTS! I haven't seen the headlight problem again since I bought it. I rarely ever drive at night either so who knows? PS fluid is fine; I'll keep my eye on it. I did add a little brake fluid but it wasn't really low; it was just at the minimum range. The brake pedal issue is such an incredibly small amount of "play" that it seems odd it is causing the brake lights to stay on but it way. I temporarily fixed it with a little bungee cord under the dash until I get some time where I can fix it properly.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Check for a recall on that power steering hose. It's my understanding that there was an issue with the crimping.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have an 06 as well. Minor issues here and there but I really like the car over all and it is a good looking ride. Performance model.
I changed my head light and it cost about 170.00 on Ammo Zon. (lol) It works fine and no issues.
I need to set my tire sensors up in the DIc system. That is the only issues there.
I just bought a later (2013 impala) model bluetooth/onstar module and am hopeful that it works well. I will install this tonight.
My only issue is the oil leak. From what I understand it is very difficult to repair, a shop with a lift would need to do it. It is expensive. And are prone to fail again in short order.
Stereo kicks butt. Massaging seats? Who'da thunk? I have gotten more compliments and comments on this car than any other.
Killer deal 3500. Enjoy.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts