Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys...been doing a bunch of reading here and thought I'd register and post.

I'm tossing around the idea of buying a "fun" car, and the V2s sound like a sick machine. Main problem is, I'm thinking even an 09 will likely be too much money. What do you think would be a really good price on one?

My other problem is I live in Manitoba, Canada so we have a lengthy winter and therefore the V wouldn't be a practical daily driver year round and I'd have to keep our other two vehicles.

Either way, still something I'm thinking about at least. I was too responsible when I was younger and never got my muscle car, so trying to make up for that now...although with two young kids I still need to keep things in line :). The other option I've been thinking about is grabbing a used 300 SRT8...likely a much cheaper option...and then could always look at a V later down the road.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be welcome. Just felt I should say hi after all the reading I did the last couple of days.

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V Sedan 6MT, (Sold) 05 Maggie & 8.8 V1.
509 Posts
I have 3 kids, so I know about keeping things in line. 3 reasons why I stopped riding crotch rockets. I used to have a 300 SRT-8 and if I were you I would jump into a V1 before a 300 SRT-8. The V1 is a much better car IMO. I don't drive my V in the winter also, so I understand it not being a daily year round driver. I will be selling the V1 this week and picking up an 09 V2. I don't know how much the V2's are in Canada, but the one I am picking up is a Manual with 33k miles for $39400.

·
Registered
Gone; ‘09 V, ‘13 V coupe. Curr; ‘14 PG Vsport prem w/Kona interior
6,177 Posts
I have previously owned a '09 V sedan, '06 Charger R/T, and a '10 Challenger SRT8. I enjoyed both the Dodge/Chrysler but, found interior materials to be somewhat cheap looking/feeling. The Charger and 300 SRT8 both ride on the same platform and are close in interior space which is good. They also have trunks large enough for a family of 4 to pack for a week. The ride is comfortable for long distant trips and you also get cylinder deactivation that will help you get better mileage (on mid grade gas). Having said that, I would still opt for the V sedan given a choice. The V is better built, with a much nicer interior (even compared to the new 300 SRT8), slightly smaller trunk, striking exterior, and waaay more fun to drive. I live in Virginia where you could probably find a '09 V sedan in excellent shape with low miles in the low 40's, and a new 300 SRT for about the same price. Either vehicle would probably suit your needs. Good luck and let us know which way you go!

·
Registered
Cadillac
53 Posts
I have an 06 300C SRT8. It's a good car and fun to drive, but the V2 is really in another league when it comes to performance. Things to consider:
SRT8s only come in auto (except the Challenger)
V1s only come in manual
V2s manual or auto
The SRT8 hasn't changed much since released in 05: still a 5-speed auto
For reference, I just test drove an 09 V2 that was $45k with 24k miles and a CPO.

·
Registered
2011 cts-v wagon
298 Posts
Have had two 300C's and both good cars. They are harder on fuel than the V's for general all around driving, altho better economy on highway.my wagon is closer to a perf. Car, excellent quality. As far as winter driving goes it far better than the 300 for winter driving. My V with ice radials all around is the best on ice and snow of any rear drive i have owned. Front valance is low so have to be aware at all times.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies!
I'll keep my eyes open and see what happens. I think at this time the V2 is going to be too expensive for me. From what I've read I think if I couldn't get an 09+ V then I'd be better off with a C. There are more Cs available around here and an older one can be had for under $20k. Actually there is a 2010 SRT8 for around $25k...so close to $20k less than a V. Not saying they are comparable, but that is a big difference.

If I was smarter, I should just get a C AWD with the 5.7 and sell the 300M.

·
Registered
2013 6MT V wagon, OBM, 2009 silver V sedan (traded)
4,537 Posts
It's going to be another year or two before you start seeing 09 V2s in the $20's.

Never stretch yourself financially to buy a car. If the 300 is what you can afford, do so knowing that it's not a bad car at all. You can always get a V2 when you can afford it.

·
Registered
09 CTS-V sedan, thunder grey, 6speed
49 Posts
im going to say it might be a while before V2's get into the 20's , its probably the last of the "purebred" muscle cars before emissions completely take over. So i have a feeling it should retain value quite well. That said, I picked up my 09 V for 37500 canadian with 70k on it. Its now at 95k on it and due to work situations i still have to drive it in the winter, and trust me, its not a winter car. I regularly get stuck in my driveway[flat surface] but i havent had any trouble with it yet and neither has carfax. so a 09 V with 95000km runs fine even in -40c winter weather.

·
Registered
08 STS-V,10 escalade,80 sedan deville diesel 13 cts vagon
1,611 Posts
Look for a 06/09 Stsv 17/35k for a nice one. Biger than a v2 and still 469hp and very rare. I'm buying my second one I had a 06 now I'm getting a 08. I test drove over 15 v2 and don't like them over the Stsv they are cheaply made and too small. So a Stsv might be for you too.

·
Registered
2013 6MT V wagon, OBM, 2009 silver V sedan (traded)
4,537 Posts
The STS-V is a VERY nice car. Didn't know they were going so cheap. The mileage is better, too, 17/25. I personally like the V2 better, but the STS-V is not chopped liver.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks again for the replies.
I don't think I'd want to go with a used German at this point. I hear it can get pricey if stuff starts to go wrong and I'm a good distance from those dealerships. Not sure my local shop sees many MB or BMW.

As for the STS-V, looks nice, but might be a chore finding one around here. I did a quick search on the local classifieds and all it came up with is a few 05/06 STS V8s.

There is a 2010 300 SRT8 around here that I may go look at. Priced close to $25k which seems pretty decent. We'll see what happens. I think I've either got my wife convinced its not a bad idea, or she just doesn't care anymore. Either way, that obstacle seems to be out of the way lol.

12,778 Posts
Yttocs, I'm pleased that you're considering a V! If you have any questions along the way and would like to involve Customer Service, then I recommend reaching out to the GM of Canada agents near you. You can find their contact information (both phone hotline and online communications) at the following link: http://www.gm.ca/gm/english/corporate/about/contactus/overview.

Best,

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service

1 - 14 of 14 Posts