Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
NONE
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Great site. I am buying an black on black '06 CTS and I would like some help here.

1. The 16 inch rims are BRUTAL. So I am going to put aftermarket rims. What looks good? I included a pic of two sets I like.

2. What kind of rubber? I do alot of driving (in the rain too, I live in Vancouver). I need a tire that is going to last AT LEAST 60K kilometers (40K miles).

3. The xenon option is to expensive for me so what kind of blue headlights work in the CTS? Which are the good ones?

As soon as I get all of this I will be sure to post a few pics. Thanks!!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
2005 CTS 3.6L, 2006 350Z, Ducati 996s
2,449 Posts
WELCOME!!

I think angular rims look best on this car, like what you posted. Both look good, although I don't think the first set would look good in anything less then 20's. Of all the OEM rims, I think the '03 Sport 17's look the best, which is what I put on mine. All of these have that angular look.

You're looking for a tire that will handle rain well, AND go 40k miles? A tire going 40k miles is special enough, thats quite the distance! I've never had a tire last more the 23k miles.
The Michelin Pilot Sport A/S should work well. They have good rain grip, last a good while, and arent too expensive. They are a good all-around tire.
Honestly tho, ask someone who's in the same position as you are, from the same area. A good tire expert in your area will help you out more then anyone here can.

If you want a good blue look, then get something from Silvania ( NOT the silverstars, they're pretty white ). Keep in mind that a blue bulb thats not Xenon (read:halogen, incandesant, etc) will actually put out LESS light then it's non-blue counterpart. The blue bulbs are tinted. Whereas the xenon blue comes from a combination of the gas in the bulb and the shape of the reflectors in the housing. A good set of Silverstars will look good!
If I were you, I'd just keep a look out on ebay for a used housing thats xenon.

Sorry for the long, semi-negative post. I'm hopped up on caffiene and my last final is tomorrow...uh today, now, i guess.

Congrats on the purchase, hope you enjoy the forum and the car!

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
i agree with azn, the second set would probably look nicer than the first. right now there is a thread going "post pictures of your car" or something. check that out, as the second pair slightly resemble Odysseus' wheels and you might be able to get a better feel for looks. i agree that the 16" wheels are terrible, luckily i have the lux sport package with the better 17" wheels..but they'll be winter wheels only after a summer purchase...

·
Registered
Black the Darkside
22,415 Posts
Sounds like you haven't purchased the car yey. I would highly recommend you re-consider your engine option. Most of the Members here are sorry they got the 2.8 engine. The 3.6 will walk away from the 2.8. More importantly not a lot of performance hardware for it.

:welcome: to the Forum:D :yup: :bouncy: Glad you're getting a CTS:thumbsup:

If you're going with aftermarket wheels to replace your 16" donuts, I suggest the 18" rims. It's the same size as used on the CTS-V. I had chromies on my black CTS but thought it was to much bling. I replaced them with black rims and polished edges and center. Here's my black CTS.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
i bought my 03 certified pre-owned, but i definitely wish i had held off a few months to get the 3.6 engine. i have a 3.2, and although it's peppier than the 2.8, i still feel the same. that doesn't change the fact that i still love my car though...

·
Registered
NONE
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the help guys! I really appreciate it! Keep on giving me the advice!

I am going to go with 18" rims. After some research the only reason I would go for 20s is just for the look. You can still get the same performance out of the 18s. The CTS-V & M5 all have 18" so I am sure they will be fine for mine. Also to mention all the 20s just have Z rated or ZR rated tires. Those do not last long at all.

I am not into modding. So I highly doubt I will add to my CTS. All my extra cash goes towards vacations, scuba diving, and motorcycle riding. It would be nice to have the 3.6 but I would like to keep the lease payment around $600 (CDN). My current car is a 2000 Focus ZX3. Love the car but it is time to move on. Going from a 2.0 I4 130hp to a 2.8 V6 210hp will be a big change for me.

Thanks for the warm welcome!!! :highfive:

·
Registered
Black the Darkside
22,415 Posts
elevation said:
Thanks for the help guys! I really appreciate it! Keep on giving me the advice!

I am going to go with 18" rims. After some research the only reason I would go for 20s is just for the look. You can still get the same performance out of the 18s. The CTS-V & M5 all have 18" so I am sure they will be fine for mine. Also to mention all the 20s just have Z rated or ZR rated tires. Those do not last long at all.

I am not into modding. So I highly doubt I will add to my CTS. All my extra cash goes towards vacations, scuba diving, and motorcycle riding. It would be nice to have the 3.6 but I would like to keep the lease payment around $600 (CDN). My current car is a 2000 Focus ZX3. Love the car but it is time to move on. Going from a 2.0 I4 130hp to a 2.8 V6 210hp will be a big change for me.

Thanks for the warm welcome!!! :highfive:
Come on elevation! half of the fun of this forum is talking about the things you can do to make your CTS more stunning and maybe a tad faster. Sell the motorcycle.:duck:

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
don't sell the bike, believe me. but give it a few months...you'll be slappin an intake on it after the wheels...tint, etc..

don't kid yourself...

·
Registered
NONE
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Haha! I will NEVER sell the motocycle. I have driven Viper's, Prowler's, SL600s, porsche's and they do not compare to the rush I get while I am out riding. When I am in my leather gear and riding it gets more attention than any of those cars as well! :cool2:

Right away my CTS will have the CTSV grill and 18" rims, then some tint. Some LED tail lights would be nice too... We will see what happens. If I do decide to add more I will come to you guys! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
Black the Darkside
22,415 Posts
elevation said:
Haha! I will NEVER sell the motocycle. I have driven Viper's, Prowler's, SL600s, porsche's and they do not compare to the rush I get while I am out riding. When I am in my leather gear and riding it gets more attention than any of those cars as well! :cool2:

Right away my CTS will have the CTSV grill and 18" rims, then some tint. Some LED tail lights would be nice too... We will see what happens. If I do decide to add more I will come to you guys! :thumbsup:
\\
way to go Elevation! You're comin' around!!:thumbsup:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts