Cadillac Owners Forum banner

61 - 72 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
2017 XT5
912 Posts
Geeze Rudeney, two thirds of your comparison had the XT5 beating the X5, and IMO in many very meaningful areas. The only upside you listed for the X5 were the little creature comforts / luxuries. Bit surprised TBH. My brother always bought BMW's but swore off them when the last TWO had their transmissions completely go on him one and two years out of warranty. Good luck with your new wheels, most important is that your wife loves it, not what we think on this forum. She's the one you have to wake up to. Maybe you'll buy another Caddy one day and come back, your ongoing feedback / comments have been appreciated.
LOL! I was just trying to be fair. There are many other things I could compare. One big win for the BMW is the infotainment screen. The XT5 had a matte finish on it that seemed to accentuate fingerprints, which was made worse by its angle. The X5 screen is more upright and doesn't catch so much glare and its surface doesn't show prints as much. This was a big deal for my wife.

·
Registered
2020 XT5, Premium Luxury AWD Platinum, Garnet Metallic, 20" Ultra-Bright
1,717 Posts
One big win for the BMW is the infotainment screen. The XT5 had a matte finish on it that seemed to accentuate fingerprints, which was made worse by its angle. The X5 screen is more upright and doesn't catch so much glare and its surface doesn't show prints as much. This was a big deal for my wife.
You could have purchased a 2020 XT5 for your wife, again the topic of this thread. It has a rotary selector on the console for the infotainment screen...no fingerprints when touching is not needed.

Another item the 2020 has is a switch to turn off the start-stop.

Just keeping on topic for the thread we are posting on. I am certain the OP appreciates all of the 2020 improvements now that he purchased the vehicle he started the thread for.

·
Registered
2019 XTS Luxury AWD, 2004 SRX N* AWD (gone)
1,725 Posts
I hate - HATE finger prints. I use the steering wheel controls in my XTS whenever I can, or I use voice command where ever I can. I try to keep the screen very clean by using interior detail wipes that are LCD safe by Meguiar. I wipe the screen down and immediately gently wipe dry with a microfiber cloth = I rarely have discernable finger prints on the screen or on the black piano of the dash and elsewhere. If you use hand lotion and touch the screen, it will always have finger prints. And if your car has that rubberized paint on the dash or elsewhere, hand lotion will eat that stuff right off in not too long.

·
Registered
2015 ATS 2.0T (gone), 2016 ATS-V, 1968 Corvair, 1974 Corvette, 2003 HD Road King
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
I hate - HATE finger prints. I use the steering wheel controls in my XTS whenever I can, or I use voice command where ever I can. I try to keep the screen very clean by using interior detail wipes that are LCD safe by Meguiar. I wipe the screen down and immediately gently wipe dry with a microfiber cloth = I rarely have discernable finger prints on the screen or on the black piano of the dash and elsewhere. If you use hand lotion and touch the screen, it will always have finger prints. And if your car has that rubberized paint on the dash or elsewhere, hand lotion will eat that stuff right off in not too long.
My 2015 ATS came with a Cadillac microfiber cloth to wipe the screen. Evidently, they stopped including them,. My 2016 ATS-V and the 2020 XT-5 didn't have one. It is awesome and when the lease was up on the 2015, guess what ended up in my V?

·
Registered
2015 ATS 2.0T (gone), 2016 ATS-V, 1968 Corvair, 1974 Corvette, 2003 HD Road King
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
BTW, update on the 2020 XT-5. Super quiet in the cabin. The 2.0T gets awesome fuel mileage. At 400 miles so far and the average fuel economy is ~32 MPG! The 2008 Enclave we traded never was over 20. So far, still love this car! Happy wife, Happy life!

·
Registered
2020 XT5, Premium Luxury AWD Platinum, Garnet Metallic, 20" Ultra-Bright
1,717 Posts
My 2015 ATS came with a Cadillac microfiber cloth to wipe the screen. Evidently, they stopped including them,. My 2016 ATS-V and the 2020 XT-5 didn't have one. It is awesome and when the lease was up on the 2015, guess what ended up in my V?
Each vehicle I have purchased that had the touch screen, including three Cadillacs, 2013, 2017, and 2017 had the microfiber cloth. The last two were given to me in an envelope with a thank you card from the salesman. I believe the salesman lifted it from the vehicle and made it look like it came from him (same salesman).

·
Registered
18 XT5 / 18 CTS 3.6 AWD
632 Posts
I rarely have discernable finger prints on the screen or on the black piano of the dash and elsewhere
Same here, people always comment how clean my cars are, can't stand a dirty car inside, I spend so much time in my car I want to enjoy the environment so I wipe things clean regularly so prints and spills don't add up. My CTS is worse, all piano black on all touch points. But it's easier to keep clean cause it's mostly just me who drives it so I keep a micro fiber in the glove box and Armor All glass wipes handy. IDK if they are supposed to be used on the piano black, but I haven't seen an issue yet. My XT5 is driven by my wife and 18 year old son, so it's harder to keep clean cause they don't do a thing to clean it until I go in and wipe it down. Then I go into a co-workers brand new two month old SUV and it's filled with garbage on the floors, seats, stains and overall so gross. I'm like WTF? Your SUV is brand new, and I get the weird look of who cares, it's just a vehicle. Drives me nuts so I try not to drive with others lol.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Same here, people always comment how clean my cars are, can't stand a dirty car inside, I spend so much time in my car I want to enjoy the environment so I wipe things clean regularly so prints and spills don't add up. My CTS is worse, all piano black on all touch points. But it's easier to keep clean cause it's mostly just me who drives it so I keep a micro fiber in the glove box and Armor All glass wipes handy. IDK if they are supposed to be used on the piano black, but I haven't seen an issue yet. My XT5 is driven by my wife and 18 year old son, so it's harder to keep clean cause they don't do a thing to clean it until I go in and wipe it down. Then I go into a co-workers brand new two month old SUV and it's filled with garbage on the floors, seats, stains and overall so gross. I'm like WTF? Your SUV is brand new, and I get the weird look of who cares, it's just a vehicle. Drives me nuts so I try not to drive with others lol.
Yep, I can't tolerate a dirty car either. I use the Meguiars interior detail wipes for both the screen and piano black, and after a gentle wipe down I immediately use the micro fiber cloth to dry it. It says LCD safe and I have not had an issue in the 10 months I've been using it. Similar to you, I'm the only one driving the car and using the screen and controls. The piano black doesn't seem to pick much up in the way of finger prints.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
My '19 XTS came with it.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
BTW, update on the 2020 XT-5. Super quiet in the cabin. The 2.0T gets awesome fuel mileage. At 400 miles so far and the average fuel economy is ~32 MPG! The 2008 Enclave we traded never was over 20. So far, still love this car! Happy wife, Happy life!
And Happy Husband!

Hwy I average about 30-31 US MPG on the HWY in summer...I'm not light footed either 😁 So for the size and weight we both are getting pretty good mileage.

·
Registered
2017 XT5
912 Posts
Each vehicle I have purchased that had the touch screen, including three Cadillacs, 2013, 2017, and 2017 had the microfiber cloth. The last two were given to me in an envelope with a thank you card from the salesman. I believe the salesman lifted it from the vehicle and made it look like it came from him (same salesman).
Ours came with the Cadillac logo cloth in the glove compartment, so I believe you are correct that it's "factory equipment". Our dealer ordered a case of cleaning cloths printed with their logo and info. Our "salesman" (my wife's brother who was the dealership manager a the time) handed us a half dozen of them.

61 - 72 of 72 Posts