Cadillac Owners Forum banner

41 - 60 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
18 XT5 / 18 CTS 3.6 AWD
632 Posts
The range issue is huge for me. I don't want to stop and sit for a coffee to charge to get 80% full. When I travel for work I just want to fill up when I need it and GO. I'm impatient when it comes to pit stops on the road. Another big issue I've had thus far is I don't love most of the electric car designs. I think Tesla's are genius ultra modern vehicles. But I don't love the look of either the exterior and more so the interiors. They really are quite brutal inside IMO. One of the first electrics I think is awesome is the Audi E-Tron. Now that looks like a driving experience even though it's electric. And it looks great, not like some wonky no soul electric design. This thread has taken some wild swings lol. Eh Fl103Dave, did you buy the XT5?

·
Registered
2019 XTS Luxury AWD, 2004 SRX N* AWD (gone)
1,725 Posts
The range issue is huge for me. I don't want to stop and sit for a coffee to charge to get 80% full. When I travel for work I just want to fill up when I need it and GO. I'm impatient when it comes to pit stops on the road. Another big issue I've had thus far is I don't love most of the electric car designs. I think Tesla's are genius ultra modern vehicles. But I don't love the look of either the exterior and more so the interiors. They really are quite brutal inside IMO. One of the first electrics I think is awesome is the Audi E-Tron. Now that looks like a driving experience even though it's electric. And it looks great, not like some wonky no soul electric design. This thread has taken some wild swings lol.
Same here. I don`t want to have an emergency, and the car isn`t fully charged!
I saw a tesla from the rear, and the way the roof to the body looks I don`t find appealing. And...I like the look of a Grille...fake it, but put it there imo.

·
Registered
SRX,ATS,CTS(2), CT6
128 Posts
Turtle-esque. That's what I see in the "face" of a tesla. Can't un-see it.

Weight is another seemingly unmentionable flaw in the electric approach. Model S weighs in about 5k lbs. CTS was 3600 and that was "fat" compared to an ATS at 3300. Yes, electrics will accelerate. Will they turn? Can they control that lard butt when the road starts moving vertically?

I don't buy a luxury car to drag race. I do buy luxury cars with sporty style and handling. I still expect comfort on demand. What will the electrics deliver?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2018 Cadillac XT5, 2013 Toyota Avalon Hybrid Limited
46 Posts
I bought a new 2018 XT5 because the front seats are comfortable and it has a smooth running, regular gas V6, not an overworked turbo charged four cylinder that requires premium gas. Having bought almost exclusively Toyotas in the recent past, I initially wanted to buy the Lexus RX350, but it had less comfortable seats and did not run as smoothly as the XT5. I particularly disliked the controls and the high position of the infotainment screen on the RX350.

My chief complaint about the XT5 is how cheaply the plastic panels are attached to the body of the car so that they are almost guaranteed to rattle. I have spent the last two years fixing rattles on my XT5 and there is still one that I have not been able to locate and fix. Add to that things like a noisy A/C compressor, generally poor performing HVAC, terrible dealer service, etc. and I will probably be returning to Toyota for my next car where I had none of these annoying problems.

Cadillac says it is going to be the lead for GM electric cars. I can't see how they could ever produce a reliable electric car when they can't even get something as simple as the rear camera gridlines to show up consistently when I put the car in reverse. It's a known problem but Cadillac doesn't seem to care about fixing it. That kind of negligence and incompetence is why Cadillac is no longer the standard of quality and luxury it once was.

Also, Cadillac has a very poor marketing strategy when it comes to branding and model names. They should change and improve the current model but keep the model name like Toyota does. No matter how many times Cadillac changes models and model names, people do not forget the deficiencies of the previous models. By abandoning model names Cadillac creates the impression that it is not able to produce a long lasting, high quality model that people trust and build brand loyalty for over the years.

It is a shame, but altogether real, that a few fixable problems that are allowed to go unfixed can tarnish an image and drive away customers.

·
Registered
130 Posts
@ornery : Yep, you're singing to the choir! The consumer is driving the demand for CUV's They want to cargo capacity, roomy cabin and ride height of an SUV but easier parking, so cars like the Honda CRV are are just the ticket. The government is driving the shift to smaller engines and weight reduction in order to meet CAFE standards (note; even those requirements have been mostly repealed, auto makers were already working toward that 54.5mpg by 2025 standard so it was too late to back out). There are many industry followers who believe that by 2030, more than half the cars offered for sale will be electric or at least plug-in hybrid. As much as I like the grunt of a V8, I also like the instant steady torque of a DC motor. But until I can get over 500 miles of range out of a battery pack, I'll not go electric. Yes, 85% of my driving is short errands around town, but with a daughter who live 180 miles away, a 300 mile range is no good - I can't spend the night just to recharge my car. And when I go to the beach, it's 500 miles round-trip plus another 100+ miles of local driving. I don't want to spend my vacation time looking for chargers where I have to wait hours for a full "tank". And once every other year, I make a drive of over 600 miles one-way, so again, electric is just not the thing. I've said this before and I'll say it again: My next car will have a V12. I'm looking for just the right Mercedes-Benz SL600 or SL65.
I know this has gone a little off topic but good news in that they are really close to the 600 mile mark. Lucid is expected to get a 517 mile range EPA estimate. I really want my next car to be autonomous and electric.

·
Registered
2018 Cadillac XT5, 2013 Toyota Avalon Hybrid Limited
46 Posts
Actually, I like the new Cadillac nomenclature. XT for SUVs, CT for cars. 4,5,6 etc. for models within the body type. It makes perfect sense like Audi.
I also like the current model nomenclature. Let's hope they keep it and develop the models and the brand instead of changing nomenclature again.

·
Registered
'14 SRX4 Premium silver-coast/shale-brownstone
848 Posts

·
Registered
2015 ATS 2.0T (gone), 2016 ATS-V, 1968 Corvair, 1974 Corvette, 2003 HD Road King
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
We took delivery last night. 2020 Premium Luxury. 2.0T. So far, the wife is really happy.

Buying with the GMS discount makes the process easy! less than 30 minutes in the dealership.

·
Registered
2020 XT5, Premium Luxury AWD Platinum, Garnet Metallic, 20" Ultra-Bright
1,717 Posts
We took delivery last night. 2020 Premium Luxury. 2.0T. So far, the wife is really happy.

Buying with the GMS discount makes the process easy! less than 30 minutes in the dealership.
Congratulations on your purchase in spite of the squadron of critics who tried to dissuade you. You will be happy with the vehicle as I am with mine.

·
Registered
18 XT5 / 18 CTS 3.6 AWD
632 Posts
Yay Dave! Welcome to the pack. Sorry we hijacked your thread with all sorts of other stuff. Congratulations on your new ride.

·
Registered
2015 ATS 2.0T (gone), 2016 ATS-V, 1968 Corvair, 1974 Corvette, 2003 HD Road King
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Thanks guys. We will be taking it on a short road trip this weekend.

·
Registered
SRX,ATS,CTS(2), CT6
128 Posts

Love Cadillacs, but the fact that this is their best seller really seems a condemnation of their marketing. If the xt5 basically sells itself despite reviews like the one linked above (which i regard as accurate and fair), while the far more respectable series of sedans can't seem to get any market traction, what the heck kind of damage is being done by marketing to cause the better car such a handicap? Is this really how bad the CUV craze has become? People lining up to dance with the heaviest and homeliest while the pageant queen valedictorian sits alone in a corner?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2017 XT5
912 Posts
Well, our Cadillac ownership comes to an end tomorrow. The lease is up in November, so we've been looking for a replacement. She's only ever bought (or mostly leased) new cars, but I've mostly bought used Mercedes-Benz (I used to work for them and also have a side business doing light maintenance and repair work on them). She has realized how I (and our youngest) have driven some really great cars for cheap, so she decided she wanted a GLE. I looked long and hard found a decent one in Atlanta that happened to be CPO. While visiting the kid in Kennesaw, we stopped to look at it and she decided there were too many things about it she did not like. We also looked at a GLC, but she said it was too small.

Her two sisters have both had many BMW X5s over the years. I once had a BMW X3 (long story how I ended up with that one) and it was a decent car - very reliable, good performance, fun, but a bit small. Anyhow, the local BMW dealer had a CPO 2018 X5 for a really good price and we bought it today. All I can say is Wow! This car is lightyears ahead of the XT5, and a much more sophisticated car the the Mercedes-Benz GLE. It grips the road like it weighs twice what it does, but handles and accelerates like a much lighter car. The features are just amazing. We'll see how it hold up, but it's three years old with 40K+ miles, and it's in near showroom condition, so I have high expectations, plus it has two years of warranty left.

While I did not hate the XT5, it never felt like a real luxury car. I hate that because it looks so good and I truly want GM as an American brand to succeed. It was reliable. It never left us stranded and I think it only had two "unscheduled" services which were for minor things. The dealer service was great. It held up fairly well - the interior is flawless, but there seem to be more dings and scratches in the paint than I'm used to, but we did make a lot of trips to ATL with constant road construction on I-20.

We'll be returning it tomorrow, so maybe the new owner will join the forum. It will be a good, reliable car for someone.

·
Registered
2017 XT5
912 Posts
So, after spending about a week in the BMW X5 and comparing it to the Cadillac XT5 a few observations...

The XT5 is quieter. We actually thought we noticed this on the demo ride, but now, for certain, the BMW has more wind and road noise.

My wife thinks the steering in the XT5 felt tighter and more accurate. I can't tell much of a difference, but the BMW seems a bit easier to turn the wheel for parking. It does feel "over-boosted" when driving.

The BMW feels heavier, but also seems to have more body roll than the XT5.. But I think that's just a "feeling", because there is a particular on-ramp where the XT5 would plow and lose grip, where the BMW just hangs in there. I can take that curve faster than what feels safe. The BMW seems less tight, but actually handles better, if that makes any sense.

The XT5 seems to have more rear seat legroom, but the X5 feels larger in the front seats.

Getting in and out is definitely easier in the XT5. The BMW sits higher and has a wider door sill to step over.

The BMW lacks rear cross traffic alert. It does have a bird's eye 360 degree camera, and a 180-degree rear (and front) view camera, but while I hate all the other "nanny systems", the rear cross traffic alert on the XT5 was a great feature.

The gearshift on the BMW is almost identical to the XT5, except reverse does not require a left-jog. About on in 5 times I'd try to put the XT5 in reverse, it would not go because I did it "too fast". The BMW responds as quickly as I can press the button and move the lever.

I like the BMW door handles. To unlock, you grasp the handle. To lock, you swipe the outside of it (marked with three raised lines). The XT5 used the same button for lock and unlock so often when trying to enter, with both of us carrying keys, my wife would press the button on the passenger side first which would unlock the car, then I'd press the button on the driver's side which would re-lock it.

There are other things that I won't get into, but mostly are what I call "luxury features" that the BMW has that the XT5 lacks, such as power headrests, soft-touch and padded surfaces, a lock button on the tailgate, etc.

Overall, I still say Cadillac has a ways to go to compete in the luxury SUV market. I do wish that I could "build my own" and take the best features from both!

·
Registered
2020 XT5, Premium Luxury AWD Platinum, Garnet Metallic, 20" Ultra-Bright
1,717 Posts
So, after spending about a week in the BMW X5 and comparing it to the Cadillac XT5 a few observations...
The title of this thread is "Buying a 2020 XT5".

Full disclosure is needed in that the XT5 @rudeney is comparing is not a 2020, but a 2017 which is not the highest trim level.

I traded my 2017 Platinum XT5 for a 2020 Premium Luxury Platinum XT5 which would compare even more favorably to that BMW.

The shifter has been changed to a straight line movement to select reverse which resolves the issue mentioned about the complex BMW mimicking forward/right movement to Reverse.

The 2020 is far quieter and tighter than the 2017 which Rudeney did compliment as being quieter that the BMW.

The suspension of the 2017 Platinum and the 2020 Platinum is an upgrade over that in Rudeney's 2017.

The 2020 has several additional surround camera views than did the 2017 and I can even look at the trailer hitch while driving to be assured everything is OK with the trailer attachment.

The lock/unlock buttons on the door handles are a personal assessment and I find preferable to the touch unlock that I have on my Honda. The lock button inside the window glass is immediately above that exterior button and can be seen at a glance if the door is locked or unlocked.

The CUE for 2020 has a physical volume button which is very much appreciated by my wife. Also there is a rotary selection on the console for selecting CUE functions which allows me to make selections without finger prints.

Comparisons such as that by Rudeney are useful, but only with full disclosure for model year and trim level of the vehicles.

·
Registered
18 XT5 / 18 CTS 3.6 AWD
632 Posts
Geeze Rudeney, two thirds of your comparison had the XT5 beating the X5, and IMO in many very meaningful areas. The only upside you listed for the X5 were the little creature comforts / luxuries. Bit surprised TBH. My brother always bought BMW's but swore off them when the last TWO had their transmissions completely go on him one and two years out of warranty. Good luck with your new wheels, most important is that your wife loves it, not what we think on this forum. She's the one you have to wake up to. Maybe you'll buy another Caddy one day and come back, your ongoing feedback / comments have been appreciated.

41 - 60 of 72 Posts