Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
2015 ATS 2.0T (gone), 2016 ATS-V, 1968 Corvair, 1974 Corvette, 2003 HD Road King
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any advice? It's for my wife. 2020 FWD Premium Luxury.

We drove this car and an Enclave Avenir. The Buick was a bit disappointing.

·
Registered
2017 XT5
897 Posts
If you enjoy paying luxury car prices for what it basically a Chevrolet with some slightly nicer leather and better styling, go for it. Yeah, I know, I'm very cynical about the XT5, but it's because I'm used to real luxury brands. Cadillac is, unfortunately, still run by GM with its parts bin mentality. They have had a few good hits, like the CTS-V, but the XT5 is nothing special beyond its good looks.

·
Registered
2015 ATS 2.0T (gone), 2016 ATS-V, 1968 Corvair, 1974 Corvette, 2003 HD Road King
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I disagree, I love my ATS-V. But to each there own...

·
Registered
2020 XT5, Premium Luxury AWD Platinum, Garnet Metallic, 20" Ultra-Bright
1,693 Posts
I am very happy with my 2020 AWD Premium Luxury Platinum. It is a better ride than the 2017 Platinum I traded. The start/stop is extremely smooth, and it has a disable button. There is a volume knob for the radio which my wife is happy to have. The CUE is improved over earlier versions and my Grandkids love having WIFI.

Ask Rudeney which trim level he has an opportunity to drive.

·
Registered
2017 XT5
897 Posts
We've had this discussion before about trim levels. Maybe in the latest 2020 models some things have been upgraded, but before that, the details I complain about are the same on all the trim levels. Beyond performance, ride and looks, it's really the little things that define luxury. Just some of the things that, for me, detract from the XT5's luxury claims and put it more in line with a Chevy are: a simple two-way lumbar support that's not tied to seat memory, the lack of a power headrest adjustment, no auto-up for the rear windows, hard Playskool grade plastics on everything below the hips, cheap "mouse hair" carpet, and the lack of a door lock button on the rear hatch.

Another thing is the way the keyless entry door handles work by using the same button to lock and unlock. On all other cars we've owned, you touch or pull gently on the inside of the handle to unlock and use a button or swipe the outside of the handle to lock. Using the same button means you have to pay attention to the lock pins to make sure you have left the car locked, and sometimes when both of us are getting in the car, we both press the button, so the first one unlocks it and the second one locks it back.

Don't get me wrong, there are many nice things about the XT5 that I like, but to me it's just not worth the price over a Chevy or Buick. With the XT5, Cadillac just leveraging its is luxury brand and selling a typical GM product. It's unfortunate, because that's not the case with the ATS, CTS and CT6. These were truly competitive luxury cars that could easily sway buyers of comparable Mercedes-Benz and BMW vehicles. At best, the XT5 might take some sales from the Acura MDX or Lexus RX.

·
Registered
2013 ATS 2.0T AWD
344 Posts
Never drove the XT5, only peeked my head in to smell it. Yum! But it wasn't enough for me to want one. Kinda disappointing. Reminded me of a Chevy Traverse.

·
Registered
2017 XT5
259 Posts
I considered various MB, BMW and Jaguar models but went with the XT5 because I didn't see what I'd be getting for the hefty price premium -- both at the time of purchase and subsequently in maintenance.

I'm still a member of the Jaguar F-Pace owners Facebook group that I joined when I was researching vehicles. Many owners complain about the use of plastic, squeaks and rattles, and other things complained about here.

One major reason why I didn't get an F-Pace is because of all the complaints about its infotainment-navigation system. For example, it didn't support Apple on the initial model year or two, and owners had to pay a couple hundred bucks to have the software upgraded if they want it. My 2017 XT5 had CarPlay standard. The F-Pace info-nav system also is extremely unreliable, and dealers struggle to update the software and troubleshoot it. Lots of owners have complained about their F-Pace being in the shop for a month or longer waiting for replacement hardware because the dealer bricked the system.

Jag Android iOS.jpg
Jag Recall.jpg

·
Registered
121 Posts
Personally, I am really enjoying the vehicle. I think that I am with Rudeny in that the XT5 does have some shortcomings, comparatively, as a model in the luxury category. But it checked nearly all (nearly) the boxes for me at this juncture in my life. I am not sure if depreciation is important to you but I was able to purchase an 18 Premium Luxury for $24K out the door here in Florida after the prior owner had it for only 22 months with 24k miles on the clock. Full disclosure that the dealer and I were in a "fist fight" over pricing and I leveraged the decrease in sales traffic due to the pandemic to my advantage. Here are a few things I dislike about the vehicle.

Disconnect between the steering feel/input and the suspension...seems to mix German tautness with American softness. Not a deal breaker.

Lack of storage in the driver's compartment.

Needs just a skosh more room in the rear seat.

Nitpicky...scroll compressor on the AC...cannot stand the whine they make, and I notice it all the time...most don't.

I do wish the driver assist features were more precise...however, I have had the 2020 as a loaner and they are much improved over 2018.

They could have reduced the size of the covers on the A and B pillars to increase outward visibility.

A positive that I have here in South Florida is that the dealer experience for me has been nothing short of excellent.

·
Registered
SRX,ATS,CTS(2), CT6
127 Posts
I disagree, I love my ATS-V. But to each there own...
Your ats is actually on a bespoke Cadillac platform, the a1. True, it was later lent to Chevrolet for the camaro but it was originally engineered with a Cadillac budget to meet Cadillac targets and beat German competition. It also has a Cadillac exclusive powertrain. The 3 rwd sedans all ride on caddy designed platforms while the Cuvs (which are categorically posers by definition) are reskinned versions of gm corporate brethren. Cadillac has yet to offer any cuv that distinguishes itself from it's economy roots let alone one that seriously contends with true luxury brands. Heck, kia and Lincoln are both killing it on cuvs compared to Cadillac right now. In the true SUV world, the escalade is certainly successful but not particularly unique or better than a denali or tahoe. I totally understand both your love of the ats and others disgust for the xt-whatever .

·
Registered
SRX,ATS,CTS(2), CT6
127 Posts
RUDENEY saved me a ton of typing! XT5 is overweight, underpowered, overpriced and generally a horrific representation of what Cadillac could be. Blame the many suckers who buy them though as GM seems to see no need to fix what is their best volume seller in the Cadillac line. It kills me to see how poorly coordinated their marketing is on this one. They target a discriminating buyer who might consider an x5, but offer them a tarted up soccer momobile. It succeeds, but with a totally different demographic and they call it a win while watching the target buyers run away to enrich foreign makes.

To the original poster, go drive the avenir again. Other than the extra size, it is a far better example of the c1 platform, not least because it's honest and doesnt pretend to be something else.

·
Registered
SRX,ATS,CTS(2), CT6
127 Posts
Personally, I am really enjoying the vehicle. I think that I am with Rudeny in that the XT5 does have some shortcomings, comparatively, as a model in the luxury category. But it checked nearly all (nearly) the boxes for me at this juncture in my life. I am not sure if depreciation is important to you but I was able to purchase an 18 Premium Luxury for $24K out the door here in Florida after the prior owner had it for only 22 months with 24k miles on the clock. Full disclosure that the dealer and I were in a "fist fight" over pricing and I leveraged the decrease in sales traffic due to the pandemic to my advantage. Here are a few things I dislike about the vehicle.

Disconnect between the steering feel/input and the suspension...seems to mix German tautness with American softness. Not a deal breaker.

Lack of storage in the driver's compartment.

Needs just a skosh more room in the rear seat.

Nitpicky...scroll compressor on the AC...cannot stand the whine they make, and I notice it all the time...most don't.

I do wish the driver assist features were more precise...however, I have had the 2020 as a loaner and they are much improved over 2018.

They could have reduced the size of the covers on the A and B pillars to increase outward visibility.

A positive that I have here in South Florida is that the dealer experience for me has been nothing short of excellent.
You are correct, 2nd hand xt5s are a totally different proposition. At roughly 50% off they represent a great value proposition and compare favorably to the chevys etc they are priced like. Expectations at $24k are much different than at 60k and the xt5 does ok against those standards. Still, I pity the guy who took the initial hit of depreciation.... there are just way too many better choices at the price point of a new xt5.

·
Registered
SRX,ATS,CTS(2), CT6
127 Posts
Any advice? It's for my wife. 2020 FWD Premium Luxury.

We drove this car and an Enclave Avenir. The Buick was a bit disappointing.
Lincoln aviator.
Kia telluride
Audi q5
Cadillac xt4
Certified bmw x5
Lots more choices if she's not fixated on a CUV. Since you are looking at fwd I assume the CUV is essentially chosen for seating position, as cargo space can be matched in a wagon or even sedan, either of which offer superior comfort, handling, fuel economy etc.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Lincoln aviator.
Kia telluride
Audi q5
Cadillac xt4
Certified bmw x5
Lots more choices if she's not fixated on a CUV. Since you are looking at fwd I assume the CUV is essentially chosen for seating position, as cargo space can be matched in a wagon or even sedan, either of which offer superior comfort, handling, fuel economy etc.
She likes the seating position of a truckster (As I call it) I think a truckster is easier with cargo and has way more storage than a sedan. Not that we need it. Anyhow, the Buick salesman was an ass so we will be buying an XT5 this weekend...

·
Registered
2017 XT5
897 Posts
You are correct, 2nd hand xt5s are a totally different proposition. At roughly 50% off they represent a great value proposition and compare favorably to the chevys etc they are priced like. Expectations at $24k are much different than at 60k and the xt5 does ok against those standards. Still, I pity the guy who took the initial hit of depreciation.... there are just way too many better choices at the price point of a new xt5.
Buying a pre-owned car is definitely a better value no matter what make and model. It's especially true for cars that lose a lot of value. I do this with Mercedes-Benz cars. I'll find a clean, one-owner car that's just out of warranty and pick it up for 50% or less of MSRP. I trade when I get bored with it and don't worry about that huge depreciation hit. The car I have now (2011 SL550) is then longest one I've kept at 5 years. Of course my big savings comes in the fact that I have the mechanical skills and tools to do all of my own work. After seeing me have so much fun with $100K (original MSRP) cars, my wife has decided that she might be willing to entertain the idea. So I have my eye on a nice GLE43 AMG that I hope is still around in November when it's time to turn in the XT5 at the end of the lease.

·
Registered
2013 SRX
12 Posts
@rudney; I really appreciate your insight and practicality!! I've driven the XT5 a couple of times when my (2013) SRX was in the shop and I really didn't see / experience enough to make me want to change / upgrade (plus, I have less than 60K miles, purchased new).
ak

·
Registered
SRX,ATS,CTS(2), CT6
127 Posts
Buying a pre-owned car is definitely a better value no matter what make and model. It's especially true for cars that lose a lot of value. I do this with Mercedes-Benz cars. I'll find a clean, one-owner car that's just out of warranty and pick it up for 50% or less of MSRP. I trade when I get bored with it and don't worry about that huge depreciation hit. The car I have now (2011 SL550) is then longest one I've kept at 5 years. Of course my big savings comes in the fact that I have the mechanical skills and tools to do all of my own work. After seeing me have so much fun with $100K (original MSRP) cars, my wife has decided that she might be willing to entertain the idea. So I have my eye on a nice GLE43 AMG that I hope is still around in November when it's time to turn in the XT5 at the end of the lease.
Exactly! I have about $180k msrp of Audi /Jaguar sitting around, and practically nothing invested. Could have 20 nice hi-mile luxury cars in the garage for what my 2020 ct6 cost. Yet, the decade old 2nd handers get more use and are more reliable than any of the last 4 new Cadillacs I've had. A cpo s-class was a leading consideration before employer influences tilted the scales toward the ct6. The 6 is fine, but the cpo mb is clearly the better financial choice AND the nicer car.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I have a question. Why do you think the XT5 sells so.well? I think a lot of of your points have merit. Thanks in advance. Like I said, I enjoy the vehicle for the most part.

·
Registered
SRX,ATS,CTS(2), CT6
127 Posts
1) Cheap leases. Between cash on the hood and VERY optimistic residuals, the xt5 leases cheap. Somebody is eating a big loss on the value when they come back.
2) Cadillac badge. Sugar daddy can give mama a "luxury" car and she'll never notice it's really just an Acadia. Its the cubic zirconia of pricey cuvs.
3) anything box shaped sells right now. Its a mania. People see the awkward shape and believe it must have awesome capability to justify the ugly duckling look. CUVs have successfully built an image of space and ruggedness via their association with true suv's and somehow avoided recognition as the bastard child of a minivan and a station wagon, the 2 most uncool categories in existence.

Sorry if I neglected to sugar coat this enough for polite company....

·
Registered
121 Posts
1) Cheap leases. Between cash on the hood and VERY optimistic residuals, the xt5 leases cheap. Somebody is eating a big loss on the value when they come back.
2) Cadillac badge. Sugar daddy can give mama a "luxury" car and she'll never notice it's really just an Acadia. Its the cubic zirconia of pricey cuvs.
3) anything box shaped sells right now. Its a mania. People see the awkward shape and believe it must have awesome capability to justify the ugly duckling look. CUVs have successfully built an image of space and ruggedness via their association with true suv's and somehow avoided recognition as the bastard child of a minivan and a station wagon, the 2 most uncool categories in existence.

Sorry if I neglected to sugar coat this enough for polite company....
No sugar coating allowed in this house. And I laughed at the bastard son thing! Interesting observations. But I still really like mine so far. To your point...24 k out the door for a decent vehicle probably contributes to my opinion.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts