Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
22,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys!

My Q45 needs new tires and power steering hoses, and since winter is close I decided to just park it. My minivan is RWD and typically not great in the snow, so Im thinking about buying this 95 Deville. I havent looked at it, but the owner says it has the 4.9 Northstar, needs new motor mounts, and he lost the title.

Are motor mounts expensive on this car, and are there any major reliability issues? From what I heard, the tranny on the 93+ Sevilles and Devilles are rock solid.

Its $2500 with 97k.

Thanks!
-Jesda

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
Jes....... The owner doesnt know what he was talking about....... It either has the 4.6l northstar, or 4.9l pushrod......

If you want reliability, go 4.9........

Issues....... Essentially all cadillac aluminium engines have head gasket problems........ Not a fun situation...... If it has a good maintenance record, you should be OK...... Its not as bad on the 4.9, but Id safely say that 80% of the northstars have trouble.......

Im not sure on motor mounts, but their definitely easier on FWD transverse....... They kinda look like upper links for the Q....... I think there are 2 of them.......

Trannies are good....... Fluid should have at least been changed once or twice by now...... You can extend life by adding a cooler, but most dont.......

I dont know what they'd do in regards to getting plates without a title...... Obviously get a new one........

Another common phrase your used to hearing <from NICO>...... Do a search........ There's a TON of information (some by yours truely) on what to look for....... I dare say there's more things to look for on these than on a Q.......

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
elwesso said:
Essentially all cadillac aluminium engines have head gasket problems........ Not a fun situation...... If it has a good maintenance record, you should be OK...... Its not as bad on the 4.9, but Id safely say that 80% of the northstars have trouble.......

What do you base this on Wes?

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
By the posts made here....... I know its limited, but now we have a pretty wide range of maintenance habits and climates.....

Whatever the case is, it may not be a factor, or at least not as soon with good maintenance...... I dont think id buy a cadillac without a decent maintenance history......

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
elwesso said:
I dont think id buy a cadillac without a decent maintenance history......

That applies to all used cars. Not just Cadillacs.

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
That is true, but there are some cars Id be more leanient on.......

Back on topic........ Jesda..... Hows the search going...... have you looked at it yet.......

95 deville for 2500..... Theres gotta be something else wrong....... If you want to stay cadillac, Id look into an early 90s eldorado/deville/seville/fleetwood........ Good FWD, and the 4.9......

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
3 Participants
elwesso