Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
none
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I am new today to this site. I have been on several other car forums for years and know that it's always proper to do your own research before asking dumb questions. So I would like to avoid dumb questions and just get advice from some of the seasoned members here.

(short background - skip if you don't care)
My dad is a car guy and so I grew up a car guy too. I'm 35 and dad's 60. He had a couple corvettes through the 70s and has driven 5 year old caddys through the 90's and 00's. I have always wanted to buy him a new or classic vette one day, but the timing and money have never worked out. This week he let me know he was ready to trade into a CTS (2004) model probably. He always buys old caddys with 50+K miles to get the price right. We started talking cars further and I am sure he would love a CTS-V.

(now to the real issues)
Now it looks like I can get a 2005 CTS-V with 50k miles for around 20K. He will baby the car and I am not really worried about the car having warrany remaining. What I am worried about is obvious issues over the last 5 years that you all know about here. What do I HAVE TO LOOK FOR when purchasing an 05 CTS-V?

Additionally, dad told me today that the fasted car he ever drove was my 02 Z06 back in 02. I remember when I traded it in at the local cadallac dealership in 05 all the dealers said the CTS-v was faster than the 02 Z06. Is this true?

Last month was dads 40th wedding aniversery and 60th birthday. This will be the coolest gift I have ever given! I don't want to screw it up if there is anything easy to avoid. I will be working with my car broker monday to find the right car. I like the Blue-silver color. Were all the 05 CTS-Vs 6 speed manuels? I could not find a white one in the early years. Was it offered in white before 09? Ok. I asked dumb question anyway. Sorry.

·
Registered
'06 Z06, '05 CTS-V 453rwhp/434rwtq (sold)
4,455 Posts
You're a cool dude.

Only colors are red, black, platinum, and gray.

Only 6-speed manual transmissions.

And NO, no (stock) '04-'07 CTS-V is faster than an '02 Z06.

Look out for differential whining at light throttle from 35-55 mph and a dry clutch fluid reservoir. Excessive shake at shutdown could be busted motor mount(s). Some shake is OK, as they have heavy dual-mass flywheel that takes a second to some to a halt. Some clunking from the driveline is normal, though annoying. Excessive clunking could be a worn differential bushing and/or bad motor mounts.

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, Black
2,165 Posts
A CTS-V sounds like the perfect car for your dad. To get a few of your questions out of the way early, first generation CTS-V's (2004-2007) did NOT come in white. Only the new CTS-V's have the white as an option. The blue/silver color you like is called stealth gray. All first generation CTS-V's came with the 6 speed manual. The weak link on these cars is the rear differential. They tend to whine after awhile (especially the 2004/2005 year diffs). It has pretty much been decided that whining means the diff is on its way out, but many may disagree, because some people on here have gotten a new diff and had it start whining after just a few thousand miles. I for one, had mine replaced under warranty with the better 07 differential because it was whining, and it has been fine ever since. This car does have its kinks but is a blast to drive, and I highly recommend one to someone in your dad's situation. It can be fast when you want it to be, and classy/comfortable as well. Another plus is that it's a great time to buy a V. The price you gave sounds about on par with what to expect. To my knowledge, the first generation z06 was faster than the CTS-V simply due to a much lesser curb weight of around 6-700 pounds. Hope you decide to get one! Hope this helped :thumbsup:

·
Registered
Red 09 CTS-V, Silver 06 STS-V, Red 08 CTS4 for winter
475 Posts
I just picked up my 05 CTS-V and this forum is very useful to help get a good one. Mine had 25,000 miles for $23K (asking $27k), so $20K for an 05 is a good price with 50,000 miles.

What I looked for:

1) Look at the rear end for any dripping off the rear end. The cars may have hard a hard life and need a new rear pinion seal. Check this in addition to the noisy rear end.
2) Get in the car and check the first gear engagement. If it is tough to get in, check the clutch reservoir. It may simply need to be beld out and new fluid put in . I had to do this on mine. The condition got the price down a little, as well.
3) Take it for a spin, downshift, and then see how easy it is to get into gear. If it is hard to get in after downshifting to a stop, the motor mounts are likely in need of replacement. You will feel a little shake when you shut off that car when they are bad.
4) Check the rear sail panels. If they are sagging or loose, use it as a reason to get a discount then get a couple of washers to fix. That item helped me save a little more.

There are likely more things to consider, but those ones are kind of common issues.

·
Registered
none
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is exactly the type information I was looking for! Thanks a lot for the helpful advice.

I have been on several auto forums and these are the most classy and to the point replies I have seen.

Thanks again, and I will be posting when I find and purchase the right one.

Sincerely,

Robby

·
2016 ATS Premium 6-spd MT
14,074 Posts
I just can't imagine a guy that old wanting a CTS-V! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
'05 LS6 V Stealth Grey; '14 Z71 SLT Sierra 1500 Stealth Grey
2,821 Posts
Crazy old coot!

I hate to be the guy, but if you hit up the search area, alot of people ask these questions, and you may find some variation or more answers if you look.

Welcome. I wish I could hook my dad up like that.

·
Registered
1959 Cadillac, 1980 Cadillac,Former 2005 CTS-V; now a 2009 V
2,210 Posts
yeah the 02 z06 had the same engine as the 04-05 CTS-V, and a lot less weight - it would beat us :(

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, K&N, Borla, short throw w/ Holden knob, hotchkis
906 Posts
Hell, I wished I saw this post before i bought mine :cynic:

But honestly, If I really knew all of this in advance, I may never have bought my 05 with 31K for $19.5K. I stole it ! But after driving it, the thoughts of these troubles are lost and diluted in the fun i have with this car :spin:

All of this is perfect info and possibly worthy of a FAQ post as there are a few a month asking about getting a V. Since they are getting older the V is quickly becomming affordable to a new group of people.

Some other issues I am aware of. :gah:

- peeling nav buttons
- fading grill crest emblem and fading V quarter panel emblems
- eats clutch fluid and or gets dark quickly - monitor frequently
- reverse is sometime squirlly to get in gear, looks and feels like it is in but needs slightly more.

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V
316 Posts
You know, if my dad were still alive, he would love this car. He was always a motorhead growing up, but the last "fun" car he ever bought was a new '65 Mustang when I was 8 years old. As a father myself, I now understand why he had to graduate to more sensible cars. I'm very happy for you both!! Keep us posted!

·
Registered
475 Posts
I can't imagine my dad driving my car, but, he got the "old guy" version, the STS-V. He loves it. But, I think a true car guy get's a stick and he did mention his dad was that very type. He will have a blast with the car. I know I do. :)

·
Registered
2011 Thunder Gray Chromaflair CTS-V coupe
605 Posts
I can't imagine my dad driving my car, but, he got the "old guy" version, the STS-V. He loves it. But, I think a true car guy get's a stick and he did mention his dad was that very type. He will have a blast with the car. I know I do. :)
HEY! I resemble those remarks!

Mike (61 in December; from 350Z to a V, both 6 speeds)

·
Premium Member
2,179 Posts
Best advise I can give on this matter is to find a local V guy (where are you at anyway?), buy him a few beers (or beverage of choice) and have him help you check out any possible V's.

·
Registered
475 Posts
HEY! I resemble those remarks!

Mike (61 in December; from 350Z to a V, both 6 speeds)
^^ - true definition of a car guy. :thumbsup:

Best advise I can give on this matter is to find a local V guy (where are you at anyway?), buy him a few beers (or beverage of choice) and have him help you check out any possible V's.
That is probably the best advice, yet.

·
Registered
2016 ATS-V (Blk, 6spd, Recaros), 2007 Cadillac CTS-V (sold)
717 Posts
Im 25 and am fortunate enough to own a V... with that said, my pop has a similar background as your dad. He's 59 and has owned vettes from 79, 81, 92, and an 05 precision red c6. I've been obsessed with the V since i was 19 and when i could finally afford one, i had my dad help me find one as he works for GMAC so i got a nice hookup... now every time i visit him, he always helps me wash it up then i flip him the keys (his company car is an impala and he doesn't have any vettes any longer)... long story short, he absolutely loves my V and when i go to buy a V2 in a few years (which i WILL do), he's gonna by my V1 from me. Trust me, your dad wont be disappointed !

Short advice, try and find an 06 or 07 with the new rear end and a warranty is ideal unless you're gonna go mod crazy

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, Black
2,165 Posts
Short advice, try and find an 06 or 07 with the new rear end and a warranty is ideal unless you're gonna go mod crazy

He didn't say anything about wanting a truck (motor) in his post! :lildevil:

·
Registered
2006 CTS-V Infared, 2013ATS, 2016 ATSV
921 Posts
Imagine that a 60 year old guy interested in cars. Unfortunately, in my household, I'm the only one. My kids just want to drive an appliance!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts