Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
'18 Escalade Platinum
924 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a few questions from anyone who's had GM buy back their car.

I began the process this afternoon. My car stranding me for the second time was the final insult. I've experienced electronic problems too numerous to mention as well as myriad squeaks, rattle, pops, creaks, crunching, etc. that I had to say enough is enough. What surprised me so far was how helpful my dealer was about the whole thing. They guided me through getting everything started and didn't try to talk me out of it nor did they make any excuses for why the car has been behaving as it has. I should point out that I've had the car for 4 months and it has 2492 miles on the odometer.

Basically, how long did the process take? Was it difficult and drawn out or did everything go smoothly? If I assume from my experiences with roadside assistance to this point its going to be very long and extrememly messy.

I'm interested with the buyback process itself, because I'm sure that whatever problems may have prompted you to initiate, I've experienced them as well.

I'd like to have this settled by the end of the year. Am I being unrealistic in my expectations?

(As a side, this is my 5th new Cadillac and I've never had any serious problems out of the others.)

·
Registered
'18 Escalade Platinum
924 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
GM refused to "repurchase" my car.

"While we acknowledge that your vehicle does have some issues, we are confident that if you allow the warranty process to function as designed your dealer, in time, should be able to correct and repair any and all issues you may be experiencing."

Then they offered to make this months car payment as compensation for my troubles.

I told them what they could do with their offer and the car......

·
Registered
'18 Escalade Platinum
924 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
CadillacETC1997 said:
its gonna take ALOT longer than 2 weeks sry man doubt ull have a christmas present from gm
To give you an idea of how much I've had the car, its now 5 months old and it was towed to the dealer with 2492 miles showing on the odometer.

·
Registered
1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V
11,694 Posts
A repurchase of the car would require quite simply at least 30 consecutive days in the dealer's posession where you were not getting use of the car, OR 3 consecutive visits for an identifiable and repeated problem.

·
Registered
'18 Escalade Platinum
924 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Playdrv4me said:
A repurchase of the car would require quite simply at least 30 consecutive days in the dealer's posession where you were not getting use of the car, OR 3 consecutive visits for an identifiable and repeated problem.
Since all of this started, I am now well aware of all aspects of the Lemon Law. I've more than met the 3 visit clause, but the dealer has never kept the car for more than a week, because each time they think they've finally corrected the problems. But this time may satisfy any and all clauses contained within the Lemon Law because the don't have a clue what's causing all my problems, and can give me no time line as to when they might have a resolution.

·
Registered
9 Posts
rjm said:
Since all of this started, I am now well aware of all aspects of the Lemon Law. I've more than met the 3 visit clause, but the dealer has never kept the car for more than a week, because each time they think they've finally corrected the problems. But this time may satisfy any and all clauses contained within the Lemon Law because the don't have a clue what's causing all my problems, and can give me no time line as to when they might have a resolution.
Hi RJM, I wonder if we're the only C/D posters here?

In case you are considering taking this to court I would be very cautious. My parents purchased a motorhome a few ago and had several things go wrong with it. It was somewhere in the 40-50 range. When the dealer found out that we had filed suit, they refused to fix our motorhome that was underwarranty. They kept it for over 2 years. When we took it to court we lost and got our motorhome back, unfixed. We've heard from others with similar problems and the court didnt rule in their favor. So just be cautios if you end up taking that route.

·
Registered
'18 Escalade Platinum
924 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Jyoder240 said:
Hi RJM, I wonder if we're the only C/D posters here?

In case you are considering taking this to court I would be very cautious. My parents purchased a motorhome a few ago and had several things go wrong with it. It was somewhere in the 40-50 range. When the dealer found out that we had filed suit, they refused to fix our motorhome that was underwarranty. They kept it for over 2 years. When we took it to court we lost and got our motorhome back, unfixed. We've heard from others with similar problems and the court didnt rule in their favor. So just be cautios if you end up taking that route.
Could be (to the first question).

I wouldn't waste my time going to court, too much time and energy and too little result. Besides my dealer would never let it go that far anyway, they'll take care of me. Problem is, I've all but decided that when I get back from Christmas vacation I'm just going to bite the bullet, take the hit on depreciation and trade it for an LS430 Ultra. My life is going far too well both personally and professionally to be constantly worrying about a @*$% car. And even though this is my 5th Cadillac, the way corporate GM has treated me its almost definitely my last which pains me to say because most of the people at the dealer are like family.

·
Registered
2006 STS 3.6 AWD
1,005 Posts
Don't feel too bad.... your family at the dealership only like you because of your money! I'm sure a new family is ready to adopt you at the lexus dealership. Hope you have better luck whatever path you choose.

·
Registered
White Diamond 2001 STS
1,317 Posts
If you are interested in pursuing a repurchase, GET A LAWYER FIRST. My parents just went through this whole ordeal on a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The lemon law (in Virginia at least) provides for a full repurchase, including any accessories installed on the vehicle, plus ALL attorney costs. They had an electronic brake system and tow bar installed on it because they towed it behind their motorcoach. They kept bulletproof documentation on all the warranty visits, and claimed fixes for the problems.

At first, Chrysler offered them a new Jeep or to erase the rest of the payments off this one. They said no, we will accept the full purchase price of the vehicle, plus parts costs, plus fees. Then Chrysler came back and said they'd offer the full price of the vehicle, without reimbursement for parts, and $1000 towards fees. They said no, we will accept the full purchase price, plus parts costs, plus fees. Chrysler finally had to offer the full price, plus the $2000's worth of parts, plus the $2500's worth of lawyer fees.

A lawyer will know the ins and outs of your state's lemon law and will be able to recover the full cost of the vehicle for you. Without a lawyer, you're shooting blind. All automakers process buy backs every day. They know what they're doing. We don't. A lawyer does. The process will likely draw out for 4-6 months, but you'll get what you want in the end, if you go about it the right way.

If a few thousand dollars isn't much to you, I'll send you my address and you can mail me a check, because it's a lot to me. ;)

Good luck.

·
Registered
35 Posts
There is no need to get a lawyer or anyone else envolved. Today I have sitting in my garage an 06 Vette and approx $11,000 in a check. My advice is to be polite, patient, do not threaten and be persistant. My STS had numerous problems all of which fell under warrranty but some could just not be fixed. My Dealer, which I have purchased a few cars from helped me in the process. From beginning, my asking for a buy back, to the new car in my garage took three months. GM or Cadillac knows there are problems with this car and will work with you. Start a case with the dealer and also at the same time with the Cadillac rep. Keep records and anything and I mean anything that goes wrong call Cadillac Customer care and get it noted in your record.

Do not threaten it will get you further down the line. Trust me if you are truly unhappy and have a bad vehicle they, meaning GM will work with you.

·
Registered
'18 Escalade Platinum
924 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Dressel said:
There is no need to get a lawyer or anyone else envolved. Today I have sitting in my garage an 06 Vette and approx $11,000 in a check. My advice is to be polite, patient, do not threaten and be persistant. My STS had numerous problems all of which fell under warrranty but some could just not be fixed. My Dealer, which I have purchased a few cars from helped me in the process. From beginning, my asking for a buy back, to the new car in my garage took three months. GM or Cadillac knows there are problems with this car and will work with you. Start a case with the dealer and also at the same time with the Cadillac rep. Keep records and anything and I mean anything that goes wrong call Cadillac Customer care and get it noted in your record.

Do not threaten it will get you further down the line. Trust me if you are truly unhappy and have a bad vehicle they, meaning GM will work with you.

My dealer is helping me as well. I've been very polite (but sometimes firm) to whomever I've spoken at Cadillac Customer Care. The dealer even added a few items to my already lengthy list. My biggest problem is all the electronic glitches that never repeat, each time something different seems to occur and its difficult to get the car to duplicate a problem, but its still very obvious that my car has serious electrical issues, not to mention all the pops, creaks, squeaks, and rattles.

Since mine is leased and all I paid upfront was first payment, tax and title (I wasn't even required to place a security deposit) I'm not asking for any money returned, just the car to disappear from my garage and the lease contract canceled (and of course, any mention of it removed from my credit report!).

The only thing really hurting me right now is lack of trips to the dealer service department, but considering that the car never seems to do the same thing twice, its hard to take it for service. Although its usually doing (or in my case not doing) something.

Its just a wait and see process.

·
Registered
309 Posts
if you're talking about gm buying the car back versus going through the lemon law routine, then i would think that alot of it has to do with your relationship to the dealer and more importantly, the relation between the dealership and gm. if you're a repeat customer and the dealer moves alot of metal, then that surely would work in your favor. jackg 90 seville 99k

·
Registered
'18 Escalade Platinum
924 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
UPDATE:

Area manager finally drove my vehicle and authorized a buy-back. They will give me full sticker credit toward the purchase of another GM vehicle.

Now the ball is in my court, and the only thing certain is I don't want another STS...

·
Registered
14 Posts
You're better off getting another STS. Lightning doesn't strike twice in the same place, as they say. Too bad they don't make the green ones anymore.
Anyway, good luck whatever you choose.

·
Registered
'18 Escalade Platinum
924 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
After several days, driving several cars, taking into account the present situation as well as my prior history with Cadillac, I've decided to stick with what I know and ordered a 2006 DTS Luxury III Blue Chip with Shale interior.

Every Cadillac I've owned has been a DeVille, and I've never had any problems from them, but I wanted something different, which is why I went with the STS. And I know that getting this lemon was just a fluke, but after what I've been through I'm ready for the familiar.

·
Registered
06 STS-1SG-ACC/HUD-Volant CAI-Corsa Exh-Mesh Grill-ClearBra
516 Posts
Well the day is here...:bouncy:

After eight full months of chasing down "Gremlins" GM agreed to a re-purchase of my 05 STS back in February.

I wish the process improved after that but due to a series of "Keystone" cops moments the ball was dropped, picked up, re-fumbled and then tossed into the stands for a while before getting back onto the field.

My new 06 was factory ordered to my specs in March and has actually been sitting at the dealer for five consecutive weeks waiting for all of the "admin" to be sorted out...:rant2:

I will say however that through it all, my Service Manager has been the best throughout and the one bright spot in this whole thing...:thumbsup:

All that said, I signed the settlement letter last week and we set today as the day to swap them out. Good thing since my 05 has been sitting idle in my garage for over a month while I drove a SRX during the final five week wait...:bighead:

I have visited the new car several times this past month and was their twice yesterday to check up on the ClearBra installers and verify the other accessories were done to order. And kudos to the paint shop for the excellent texture and color when painting the front license frame to match. I will now be a law abiding citizen and actually put that plate on this time.

I will also say that it was very impressive to have almost the "Entire" shop stop working and come stand around my car when they fired her up with the new Corsa exhaust. They were in awe over the sound and camera phones were going for ten minutes...:worship:

Yesterday saw all of the sales guys coming over to watch the ClearBra install and compare the ACC mesh grill to the CTS-V that was in the next bay. Few STS's roll through with ACC. Even fewer with the aftermarket grill.

And now nearly all that is left for me to do (other than wait...) is call the insurance company and add the VIN onto the policy before picking it up at 3:30 today. And then of course change out my forum pics to the new car...:bouncy:

Just shy of eleven months total to get this done and even with zero cost on the buy-back and the check that is coming with the car, I will never be 100% whole on the entire rigamaroll.

However I am A) glad to be "almost' done with it. And B) starting to once again get a little excited about having the new ride home at last.

I am avoiding the thought that this one will have a tenth of the problems that my last one did...:alchi:

·
Registered
'18 Escalade Platinum
924 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Don't feel bad, my new car sat at the dealer 6 weeks before I did the trade-out. The story I was told that the Tampa office was originally handling my repurchase and they were never authorized to handle repurchases, so I basically had to start all over again, which took another 6 weeks.

My dealer was great as well, although as many cars as we've purchased from them, we're more like family than anything else....

I came out smelling like a rose. I had originally requested a refund of all the payments I had made on the vehicle, 6, but GM would only agree to refund 3, basing it on when the repurchase decision was made. Knowing the dealer as well as I do, they sold me my new DTS at actual invoice, and I had an old '98 DeVille sitting in the garage that had been using as a foul weather car for the last few years which I decided to trade. So I picked up a fully loaded DTS Lux III for the price of a standard Lux I, not bad in my opinion. Plus I kept the payment refund check and put it in my rainy day fund.

All of us--me, dealer management, service advisor--agreed that GM simply stalled the process hoping that I would give up and just say something along the lines of "to hell with it, I'll just keep the @#$% car."

Towards the end, especially after the new vehicle arrived at the the dealer ( I ordered mine as well rather than taking one of the lot), I could tell they were almost as put out with GM as I. They even warned me that GM might try to deduct for mileage, but to remain firm and insist on paying nothing, they were surprised when all the paperwork arrived and there was a check enclosed.

Its been just a little over a month since I picked up the new one, and so far its been perfect, which has what my Cadillac experience has always been...

Now I'm just waiting for the new EXT to arrive......

·
Registered
06 STS-1SG-ACC/HUD-Volant CAI-Corsa Exh-Mesh Grill-ClearBra
516 Posts
Thanks for the empathy rjm.

Yea we went down the same path. I have a great relationship with the dealership and they even pre-purchased my accessories for me, gave me their cost without mark-up and zero labor for the install.

They made a slight error when they installed the front plate frame (riveted on the 06 instead of screwed in like the 05) which screwed up my paint film installer. they gave me options to replace the bumper or (as I took) they removed re-installed the frame, painted it to match and custom ordered a chrome STS badged plate for it. These guys I like.

GM "neglected" to include my check when I picked it up but it was in the docs and is being mailed this week. I also negotiated some money out of them and will be ahead that way which paid for all my accessories and a bit extra. It didn't cover the expense of rental insurance and such though so I did lose a little there although I did get them to pay for my pro-rated XM package.

All told I had it for just under eleven month, just over 18000 miles and so can take some heart there also.

And I do like the Gen 6 Onstar system. Especially how it displays on the DIC and can "download" numbers into the car from the adviser. I used that just yesterday.

And...I hate to say it. But so far............

VR is working ok. Bluetooth came right up but I still have the "radio doesn't mute on incoming call" issue. I think I'll just add the car onto my Verizon account and not worry about it this time. that you couldn't do with the 05's either.

And here she is...

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts