Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a CTS with low mileage (2k) and I owned it for over 6 months. Now, once in a while, I smell this burning odor. Like plastic. I thought it might be the belts. Anyway, I drive it to the dealer, they can smell it at first, but then can't replicate it again. I am not sure if it will come back, but has anyone ever heard of this problem before? Could it be I just don't drive it enough and something is burning out? Any suggestions would be great!

Dan

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Havent had that problem....I have noticed that the air filter for the cabin (i.e. the thing the filters the stuff u breathe) is very weak if existant... (i believe that mine may be missing one entirely!) so maybe that may have something to do with it?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, it's strong rubber burning smell. I picked it up from the dealer, it was fine. Drove tonight about 5 miles and it came back. Driving me crazy!! Maybe someone dealt with something similar.... Other than the the CTS is awesome!!

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
See if you can try and locate more specifically where it is coming from....

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, it doesn't happen when I have the heating/ac fan on. If I turn my climate control, it happens. I will call the dealer tomorrow...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just a followup - after 2 days of the car being at the dealer, they finally were able to see some 'gooey' stuff coming out of some housing (unclear on the phone, the main guy was at lunch when I went to pick it up). Anyway, on the invoice it looks like they replaced a lot of stuff. Including the thermostat, coolant, seals (they said, weak seals) and clamps. Took it for a long drive, and it looks like the smell is gone. I hope this doesn't come back.

·
Registered
7,237 Posts
Ralph said:
I've been test-driving a lot of new cars lately and have noticed a burning smell, especially stopped at lights of after engine shut-off near the front-end. I just considered this normal for new materials in a car getting hot.
'

That's cosmoline <sp> burning off the underside. Normal.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No, this smells like when a vaccum cleaner belt goes bad... you know, really rubbery smell. Like if you were to burn a tire. As a matter of fact, I thought it could be that the tires were under inflated. That was the first thing I checked - but then I noticed it coming from the vents.... Anyway, day two and the smell is not there... so hopefully they fixed it.

·
Registered
16,105 Posts
CadillacDan said:
No, this smells like when a vaccum cleaner belt goes bad... you know, really rubbery smell. Like if you were to burn a tire. As a matter of fact, I thought it could be that the tires were under inflated. That was the first thing I checked - but then I noticed it coming from the vents.... Anyway, day two and the smell is not there... so hopefully they fixed it.
Actually, the rubber burning does describe the smell quite well, especially when I drove a 2003 Mustang GT, I thought the tranny was fried.:D What is this "cosmoline?" Does it have something to do with the undercoating or ?.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
I think its a different smell then cosmoline, i think what hes referring to smells more like burning a clutch or driving around with your parking brake engaged fully. (If you havent smelled either, run do not walk to your nearest 30 something mother i guarentee she has done it atleast once)

·
Registered
586 Posts
Ralph said:
Actually, the rubber burning does describe the smell quite well, especially when I drove a 2003 Mustang GT, I thought the tranny was fried.:D What is this "cosmoline?" Does it have something to do with the undercoating or ?.
you should have made another rubber smell and lit up the tires :D

·
Registered
41,011 Posts
anyword I am having the same problem
Hello and :welcome:. As you see, this thread is from 2003, so you likely won't hear from the original poster. Hopefully someone else can help. What year is your CTS and how many miles on it?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Frequently a burning plastic smell is from running over a plastic bag. It'll stick to an exhaust pipe or catalytic converter and melt onto it. It can take months to burn off and sometimes you have to scrape it off with a razor knife.

·
Registered
4,764 Posts
Vacuum cleaner belt! We now know who wears pants in family.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
About this Discussion
27 Replies
17 Participants
Y3E