Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
'05 CTS-V, '12 CTS-V Manny Vagon
6,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently had my car in at Lindsay for a huge list of service.

Non Warranty Items I wanted addressed:

Trukk said:
1) Install UUC shifter + bushings (I don't recall what you posted in the original thread for cost on this.)
Shifter was $335, install was $95, Bushings were 30. WHAT A DIFFERENCE. I know it's been covered to death, but !GACS should be first mod, UUC should be second. The car feel so much more 'tight' now. Overall the driving experience is much more confident now. The car just feels more like a 'serious' performance vehicle now.

It does introcude some noise into the cabin. You can hear the tranmission spinning, when you have it in nuetral, with the clutch out. Once you push the clutch in, you hear the trans slowly spin down. That is kinda odd. I'll probabaly get some dynamat, and wrap the shifter stalk.

Trukk said:
2) Oil Change (Mobil1 Please). (extra credit for using a Mobil1 filter instead of some AC Delco gunk).
I didn't check the filter. 80 Bucks is a bit stiff for an oil change, but I wanted to throw a bone to James, since he was doing so much stuff to my car.

Trukk said:
3) I loaned my car to a friend, and he ran over a 'lawn gnome' with it. NO SH!T. Anyway, the front air damn is mildly dented, a bunch of the plastic rivits holding the bumper/skirts on ripped. I'd like you guys to take a look, and let me know how much to fix it. This apparantly also caused one of my fog lights to stop functioning (please check all the lights up front for proper operation). My buddy will be paying me out of pocket on this, so try not to kill me on the price if you can :)
Lindsay has a sepperate department for colision repair. They are painting the a new front facia now, and the service department, will install it the next time I go back. The light has not been fixed yet. I assume that it made no sense to do it, before the facia gets replaced.

Trukk said:
4) The lawn Gnome incident also dented my Corsa Resonator. I have ordered a replacement from Corsa (I'll put it in the trunk). I'd like you guys to install this, and plop the old resonator (along with the stock stick shift, in the trunk when done). I'd also like you to take a look at my overall Corsa install. The current resonator appears to be mounted at a slight angle, left to right. I have had an issue in the past with it 'banging' on the drive-shaft in very heavy rain. After talking with Jim Browning Jr. @ Corsa, he's leaning towards install issues.
Installed, and looks great. Donny (or Bill), also ground down the bolt stops on the clamp a bit, to get a tighter fit, to try and avoid any exhaust leaks for me.

Trukk said:
5) Could you give me a quick price on welding a WideBand O2 sensor behind one of my cats, so I can do some logging? I don't have the WB02, so I'd need a price on one of those also.
I ended up just having them weld a bung in. I'll get a WB02 later if I need one. The weld looks great. I need to verify that anti-seize was used on the threads, so I can get it out again later.

Trukk said:
6) I ordered up a set of thos nice thick copper gaskets that Bill from the forum was selling. I'd like those installed in front and behind my RT Cats (while you have those off, please take a look and make sure they appear to be holding up good. Extra credit if you take a picture of the catalyst material for the forum :). I REALLY HATE EXHAUST LEAKS, and I'd love to pull my car out of your shop confident that I won't have anymore (unless there is another lawn gnome incident.)
Well, those wunder-gaskets only fit between the cat and exahust (where the donut's usually are), and not between the cats and exhaust manifold. That is a larger connection. Bill was nice enough to take a tracing of the connection. No pictures, but I wasn't really expecting that. Bill did say that the Cats looks to be in great shape, as did the gasket that RT provided, with no signs of leakage.

Current Warranty-related I wanted addressed:

Trukk said:
1) Whine between 44-48 MPH in 4th, at light throttle (I also hear it in 2nd, at about 25 ish) It is not really loud, but I hear it. I'd like a tech to take a listen, to get a prognosis, on the state of my rear diff. [Note, I haven't done any maintenance to this part, or to anything on the rear suspension.]
New Diff ordered and installed. So far so good.

Trukk said:
2) Car will not go into R, without going into 1st, first. On occasion, the shifter will pop out of reverse, when I'm backing up (this has happened maybe a half dozen times.) Also get an occasional gear grind, on 1-2 shifts. When downshifting into first from 2nd (or even 3rd), it will grind bad on occasion. [Note: The only time I do this type of downshift, is if I'm @ or below 10 MPH, like in stop/go traffic.] It almost seems as if the clutch is not fully engaging, even though the peddle is fully depressed. Shifter knob also 'pops' off on occasion, when shifting.
James asked to see if this was addressed via the UUC. I will let him know if it isn't. They also checked my clutch resevior, and said it was fine.

Trukk said:
3) Shifter is SLOPPY as hell. I have at least 1/2" deflection to each side, when the shifter is in gear. [I would hope the new shifter would 'fix' this issue, however if there is anything else in there to 'tighten' up, please take a look.]
UUC definately addressed this.

Trukk said:
4) I had my trunk lock freeze twice last January, and it wouldn't close. TSB/Recall #05016.
They siliconed it up, per the TSB.

Trukk said:
5) Rear end wheel hop, when raining, or when roads are cold (less than 50 degrees). Please install the new bushings. TSB: 05-04-114-001A [The description on this TSB is a joke, this happens way beyond 1-2 shifts, and full throttle application from a stop.]
Bushings installled. No squeeks yet. I haven't 'tested' them yet, as I am in break-in with the new diff. I expect them to help a bit, but not too much. I've always been carefull not to let it hop much. I've only had it bang the subframe once. Something is better than nothing in this case I guess.

Trukk said:
6) My drivetrain 'clunks' all the time. The so called 'parade' clunk is terrible, but it also clunks between shifts (1-2, and 2-3). This happens when the clutch is depressed, between shifts. It sounds like a large banging from the undercarriage.
Still 'parade clunks', but not nearly as bad. Other clunk is still there a bit, but again, not as bad (BIG FINGER POINTING AT DUAL MASS FLYWHEEL).

Trukk said:
7) Occasionally the XM radio stations will 'lose' their settings. This has happened about 1/2 dozen times. The stations are still programmed, but the station description is not correct(i.e. is will say 'station 20', which is not correct, but when you press that preset, it will go to the proper channel. To get the correct station & description to show up, I have to hit the button once (to change to that channel), and then press it again, holding it down, to 'lock' the station in as a preset. Not sure what the issue is here. Also I have had the DVD player not recognize the NAV disc a few times, when trying to use the NAV. Ejecting the disc, and then putting it back in seems to clear up the problem. The disc should be fine, as I have only ejected it 2-3 times (when I had the problem). There is also some wear on the DIC near the left large round button. [Before 'fixing' anything on this one, please give me a call, as these are fairly minor issues, and I'm not sure I want my whole dash ripped apart, to fix it.]
Unable to duplicate. They did eject my NAV DVD and clean it for me though. :woohoo: j/k

Trukk said:
8) My car consumes approximately 1 qt of oil every 1,500-2,000 miles. I'm unsure if this is just a caracteristic of the LS6 or not. Some report this, some don't. It is not a huge issue, however I wanted to bring it to your attention, in case you know something I don't.
Indicated that this is normal. Seems a bit high to me. I've got a feeling the PCV valve is the main culprit. I'm going to install an oil catch can, and see how much oil I'm loosing this way.

Trukk said:
9) The center console/arm rest 'squeeks' sometimes when the car is in motion. I just noticed this, as I drove the whole summer with the windows rolled down.
This was fixed when they installed my UUC.

Trukk said:
10) A very audible 'rattling' noise when the engine is decelerating. This can be replicated by putting the car is N, and reving it up to about 3k, and then letting off the accelerator. This also happens when driving. I notice it in 1st gear. Not sure if it happens in other gears, as other 'car' noises mask it when in higher gears. [Perhaps this has something to do with the Corsa/RT Cats. Please check this when doing the shifter install, as it may be something just needs to be tightened up.] It seems to lessen after the car is warmed up.
This is still there, and annoying as HELL. It sounds like a heat shield or something. I'd really like to get this fixed.

Trukk said:
11) Tighten the emergency brake. Currently fully depressing it, will barely hold the car on a hill. [My wife had the car roll out of driveway, because she parked it, and left it out of gear, only pushed the brake in 3/4 of the way, GAK.]
Tightened.

Trukk said:
12) My steering 'shimmys' around 60 MPH.
Balanced my tires, and charged me for it. Shimmy is still there. I wasn't expecting to be charged for this, but no biggie, it was inexpensive. I would have liked the shimmy to be fixed though.

Trukk said:
13) My 'check coolant' level came up on the NAV screen this morning. Can you check and see if my car might be one of the ones with the 'older' radiators. NOTE: Thus far this is the first time I've seen the message, and the coolant level appears to only be about 1/4" low in the expansion tank.
Ordered up a new radiator, which is on back order. When it comes in, I will bring car back, and have it installed. They actually had my radiator out, because they thought it would arrive the next day, but it didn't so they reinstalled.

My car was in the shop for about 10 days, but it was over Thanksgiving, so it is understandable (plus I had a LONG list ;) ). It was certainly great to get the car back. James indicated that the followup should be accomplished in a day.

Driving home from work last night, the engine light came on. I pulled over, and had onstar do a diag, which found nothing. I took my CAI off, which I noticed was a bit loose, and cleaned the MAF. The light is still on. I'll need that checked out, when I come back. My guess is that the CAI was taken off durring the radiator removal/reinstall, and was a bit loose.

Bottom line, is I am a very happy customer. James, Bill and Donnie were very helpfull, and made me feel completely comfortable, having my car in their care. None of that 'forboding' feeling, that usually acompanies a trip to the dealer.

1.) Lawn Gnome Clean-up: $1,200 (approx)
2) Oil Change: $80.00
3) UUC Shifter + Install + bushings: $460
4) Hell of a lot of warrantee work: FREE
5) Having confidence that competent responsbile, and experienced professionals are taking care of your 'baby': Priceless

I would highly recommend Lindsay to any V owner that needs work done on their car. I would also recommend, that they get their non-warrantee work done there too, so we don't burn them out :D It's woth a lot of $80 oil changes to have a dealer that you trust.

Thanks,

Chris

·
Registered
305 Posts
Trukk - for what it's worth, I had the same rattle noise and it was at about 2500 rpm. I noticed it in the morning when driving off, just before shifting. I took it to the dealer twice and they claimed they tightened a heat shield both times. It did not help. So, I slid under the car and started tapping things until I found it. it was indeed one of the metal bands holding the heat shield on the right side (I believe at the cat converter).
Anyway, the point is, the bands all looked tight but when I wedged a srew driver under one, it had a inch of slack. The band itself was rattling. I haven't been back to the dealer so I wedged a lug nut under the band until I can get to the dealer(can't tighten them). It cured the probelm completely.

Also, for what it's worth, when they put my anti wheel hop lugs in, they left the exhaust pipes out of the final isolation supports near the end. This too was causing some rattling.

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V
128 Posts
Chris,

If you have your oil changed by the dealer next time, make sure you buy your own oil. I had the oil changed on my Grand Prix once by a Pontiac dealer and I didn't have a chance to buy the Mobil 1 ahead of time... yeah, nearly $7 per quart.

On a side note, I'm headed to Lindsay next Saturday (the 10th) to get my UUC installed. Can't wait!

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V
1,181 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trukk
1) Whine between 44-48 MPH in 4th, at light throttle (I also hear it in 2nd, at about 25 ish) It is not really loud, but I hear it. I'd like a tech to take a listen, to get a prognosis, on the state of my rear diff. [Note, I haven't done any maintenance to this part, or to anything on the rear suspension.]

Hey Chris,

I'm having the same experience with my DIFF. Was the whine easily heard over your exhaust? I can hear it and it's annoying to me...

DITTO on the guys from Lindsay... They ROCK!!!!!

Thanks,
John

·
Premium Member
6,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Staxxin said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trukk
Hey Chris,
I'm having the same experience with my DIFF. Was the whine easily heard over your exhaust? I can hear it and it's annoying to me...
DITTO on the guys from Lindsay... They ROCK!!!!!
Thanks,
John

I could hear mine over my exhaust + cats (even when it had hella-leaks due the the lawn gnome incident). If you can hear it over the radio, then it's time to take it in. You'll REALLY be able to hear it when the UUC goes in.

-Chris

·
Premium Member
6,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
99GTX said:
Chris,

If you have your oil changed by the dealer next time, make sure you buy your own oil. I had the oil changed on my Grand Prix once by a Pontiac dealer and I didn't have a chance to buy the Mobil 1 ahead of time... yeah, nearly $7 per quart.

On a side note, I'm headed to Lindsay next Saturday (the 10th) to get my UUC installed. Can't wait!

The way I look at it, is for the peice of mind they provide, it's worth it to me, to let them charge for the oil change. I always change my own oil, but I figured, let them do it, and make a few bucks, do to all the other stuff I was having done.

I don't want them to sour on us as a client base, because we are needy, and just want low/no proffit warrantee work done all the time.

My $.02

-Chris

V

·
0 Posts
Lawn Gnome is hilarious!

Glad someone is happy with Caddy service.

Thanks for the detailed report as usual. :)

Norm

·
Registered
CTS-V
534 Posts
Hi Trukk.

I think the oil change should have been $59.95 (its on sale). That's what James mentioned to me when he & I e-mailed about the services that they'll be doing for my car.

Mine's going in to Lindsay tomorrow for:

1) Install UUC Shifter and Lasstss' bushings;

2) Oil change w/ Mobil 1;

3) I'm getting 12 MPG (check o2 sensors?);

4) Check parade clunk;

5) Adjust parking brake as it won't hold the car;

6) Check clutch pedal engagement point (seems to engage very, very close to the floor);

7) Swap my exhaust for mod'd CTS-V exhaust;

8) From time to time, the video/navi screen locks up (its done it about 4 times over the last month - there's nothing in particular that seems to set it off - its done it both on the navi screen and on the XM screen); and

9) Relay for causing the cigarette lighter outlets to turn off when the car is turned off is missing.

Anyway, maybe it'd be worth a call to James re: the oil change if you care about the $20.

Glad things went so well.

Can't wait to get all these things addressed on my car and try out the shifter!

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V
128 Posts
Is there really a noticeable increase in discernable driveline noise with the UUC? I was under the impression that this was the quietest aftermarket shifter available for the V. I know people have complained about the B&M, but haven't heard so much about the UUC. I'm hoping that it doesn't add too much noise.

·
Premium Member
6,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
V-Max said:
Lawn Gnome is hilarious!
This was my buddy I've know for like 20 years (we even live in the same neighborhood together). We've always leant our cars back and forth, and this was the first time anything has happened. He swears it was a block of wood, but I KNOW it was a lawn gnome (crafty little [email protected]@rds). He's paying whatever it costs to make it right, which is cool.

Since I got my car, he's been thinking about getting a sports car. He has it narrowed down to a 911 and Viper. I've been angleing him hard on the new Z06. I think he's going to pull the trigger on it.

t will be WELL worth a new plastic bumber to get to roll around in a Z06 whenever I want :cloud9:

V-Max said:
Glad someone is happy with Caddy service.
I am :D

V-Max said:
Thanks for the detailed report as usual. :)
Norm
I'll take that as a compliment, although I have a feeling you meant it in a CVP33'ish manner ;). I came to be comfortable with my anal retentiveness years ago :bouncy:

-Chris

See you at a track event next year for sure.

·
Premium Member
6,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
99GTX said:
Is there really a noticeable increase in discernable driveline noise with the UUC? I was under the impression that this was the quietest aftermarket shifter available for the V. I know people have complained about the B&M, but haven't heard so much about the UUC. I'm hoping that it doesn't add too much noise.

My guess would be the LASSTSS bushings introduce a lot of the extra noise, as they replace the stock chambered rubber bushings. It's not a lot, but it's there. I feel very confident some Dynamat will cut this in half (go, go 3 Db's).

-Chris

·
Registered
173 Posts
Joey'sVee said:
You lose 1 qt of oil every 1500 miles???????????? OMG!
That is very normal in an LS motor, if it's driven the way it was intended to be. Sometimes the consumption will lessen greatly if allowed to run a quart or so low. He is spot on in assuming that most of the oil is going into his intake manifold via the PCV valve.
I experienced the above in my 02 SS Camaro when it was driven hard. The V is actually my wife's and get's a lot of highway milage, so it dosen't consume any measurable amount of oil. Let me have it for a month and it would though.

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
Chris,

Thanks for the kind words. I will handle almost all those issues when you come back as I'll be doing the radiator and the bumper for you.

I heard the rattle but wanted to get it to Donny for the trans work and the diff. I didn't realize that he didn't go after that rattle.
I will look at that more thoroughly when I get the car back. Also the MIL coming on bothers me. Yes I did have to take the air cleaner and intake ducting out, I'll have to take it out again but I'll see what those codes say.
I can't think of anything that might have caused the MIL to come on.

Also if the nav acts up I need to revisit the details of the failure. I think I did have a bit of trouble with it but the surface of the disk had collected a lot of dust. I have seen that on a handful of cars lately and it causes lots of read errors but doesn't always display an error on the screen, it just acts strangely.

I'll see what I can find on the "shimmy" as well.

The holiday and not having the radiator really screwed things up for me or I could have been much more thorough. I knew I should have checked to see if the radiator was actually here before I pulled it out. Parts told us it was in when it wasn't. I got here mega-early because I had to take my Mother in Law to the airport and I started working on it before the parts guys were working. When I walked up to the counter they told me we had been shorted on our stock order... DOH!

Anyway, thanks for the kind words and thanks in advance for bringing it back and letting me address the remaining issues.

We don't have an issue with customers bringing their own oil if you'd like to do that next time.

Technically James traced the gaskets, but I was standing there watching him and he did use my pen! :D

·
Alexandria, Va
Work on them all...
1,213 Posts
trukk said:
80 Bucks is a bit stiff for an oil change
We'll take care of you the next time when you come in... Shouldn't have been quite that much...
trukk said:
They are painting the a new front facia now, and the service department, will install it the next time I go back. The light has not been fixed yet. I assume that it made no sense to do it, before the facia gets replaced.
Fascia is painted and back from the collision center, we'll change out the light when you come back to have the fascia installed.
trukk said:
They did eject my NAV DVD and clean it for me though. :woohoo: j/k
Hey, we leave no stone un-turned...:D
trukk said:
This is still there, and annoying as HELL. It sounds like a heat shield or something. I'd really like to get this fixed.
We'll look at this again when you come back... If it's annoying you it's annoying us...
trukk said:
Balanced my tires, and charged me for it. Shimmy is still there. I wasn't expecting to be charged for this, but no biggie, it was inexpensive. I would have liked the shimmy to be fixed though.
We'll address this when you come back, you shouldn't still have a shimmy...
trukk said:
Ordered up a new radiator, which is on back order.
There may be some good news on the horizon, I think we may get a radiator some time next week...
trukk said:
Driving home from work last night, the engine light came on.
Definately want to look at this when you come back...
trukk said:
Bottom line, is I am a very happy customer.
This is why we do what we do, happy customers...
We'll be in touch on Monday, hopefully with some good news on your radiator...

·
Registered
No GET-RAG or GM products
637 Posts
Linsday Cadillac and James Rock :cool2:. If it wasn't for dealers like Lindsay, I would ditch my Caddy and go back to Rice. CTS-V = High Performance Car. Lindsay = High Performance Dealership.

GT

·
Registered
'04V, '05V, '06SRT8, '10V, '13ZL1, '12 V, '16 Z06 SC757
6,440 Posts
I can't really go into it because of my witness protection agreement but lawn gnomes are a menace beyond description.

·
Registered
Lemon Law'd '05 V
1,241 Posts
Chris,
I'll address the oil consumption issue, since I've been driven quite insane by my "crankcase filter/catch" project. See this http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55663&highlight=crankcase+breather

First, take your intake tube off the TB. With a light in your left hand, manually open the TB plate with your right(or reverse if you're in Australia). Look inside your intake manifold.... I'm willing to bet you've a nice coating of oil on EVERYTHING.

I first discovered the oil ingestion by mounting a small air-compressor inline filter between my crankcase breather and the return bung on the passenger side of the intake manifold. I sent a write-up to Reed at the FAQ, so you can get a good idea of what happened there. What I haven't updated there is that my speed shop guys blasted me for "disconnecting" a built-in vacuum pump that is inherent in the design of the LS6. I wound up using the JAZ MiniBreather in the same location as the air-comp-filter but plugged the mini-filter so as to keep the "vacuum" of the intake manifold. The vacuum is supposed to help reduce oil-leaks and, in theory, allow the negative pressure to produce more power.

The JAZ mini is checked weekly, and usually has one ounce of oil present. I suck it out with a syringe to keep it empty. I believe that the oil vapor accumulation has decreased since I'm now running 1/2 quart low. I'm going to change the oil this weekend, with a full fill, and then monitor from there.
It does seem to be a result of the stock system...I was AMAZED at how strong the suction is from the intake manifold, especially at idle - as the return is behind the TB plate. Funny thing, the passenger valve-cover breather is connected to the TB and enters the intake system before the TBplate...therefore less vacuum is applied at idle.

Really, I can understand why GM designed the system...I just can't understand why it was deemed acceptable to injest oil vapor in such high quantities. I'd love to figure out how to return the oil (that accumulates) back into the pan at shutdown, but I've learned enough through trial/error on this project to keep me from f'king with it for at least a month or two. I'm still recovering from this stupidity.....
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57091&highlight=intake+manifold+nipple
Good luck,
ace

EDIT: I see you've already read of my stupidity...please don't attempt any of the previous maneuvers as I would feel quite bad should someone else have problems.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts