Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Escalade AWD
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a used 2012 escalade And with 40000 miles. I'm noticing can feel every bump and change in the road. My wife even gets car sick in the passenger seat. I've read it's because of the 22" wheels. Its a Cadillac, shouldn't it ride like a dream? Anything I can do or get adjusted?

·
Registered
2007 STS-V, 2007 Escalade, 2003 Escalade EXT, 2014 ELR
825 Posts
You'll probably have to downgrade wheels to a smaller size to get the ride you want.

I test drove two different 07s when I was shopping, the one with the higher miles and 18" wheels rode better than the one I bought with the 22s. I have a nice set of 20s I'm going to put on it after all my suspension work is done and a new alignment performed, I'm not crazy about the ride on 22s either.

My 07 with less miles and 22s rides worse than my 05 with 17" wheels did.

The wheel size makes quite a bit of difference, even an inch larger takes away 1/2" of sidewall height and you can feel that. On the Saturn Sky I had, going from the stock 18" wheels to 19" wheels was very noticeable.

·
Registered
Escalade EXT
1 Posts
I have a 2011 (76K miles) with a similar issue that started a few months ago. I too have 22" wheels and the ride was fine up to a few months ago. My suspension has become stiff and jumpy. Have your magneride shocks checked out. In my case, I'm guessing that one, or more, of my shocks have gone bad over the years.

·
Registered
2015 Escalade and 2018 CTS-V
320 Posts
22 inch wheels should ride just fine (Unless you have rubber band tires) If it's really that bumpy, you need to look at the suspension.

·
Registered
2011 Escalade
115 Posts
would suggest a visit to dealer... mine was having same exact symptoms. turns out needed both front shocks. $2300 later, and she rides like a Cadillac again. I too have the 22's and love them. would not really want to downsize in rims.

12,776 Posts
I got a used 2012 escalade And with 40000 miles. I'm noticing can feel every bump and change in the road. My wife even gets car sick in the passenger seat. I've read it's because of the 22" wheels. Its a Cadillac, shouldn't it ride like a dream? Anything I can do or get adjusted?
Hey jharding,

Very sorry to see you're having this experience. I would be more than happy to reach out to your local Cadillac dealership on your behalf to share your concerns with them. Please PM us with your contact info, VIN, and preferred Cadillac dealership if you'd like us to do that for you.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Geoff G.
Cadillac Customer Care

·
Registered
2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX
13,353 Posts
If you live in the north or northeast the roads are still crap, and yes your 22's will give you a rough ride if you are on rough roads, and yes dropping to 20's or even 18's will give you a MUCH smoother ride than the stock 22's. Depending on your miles I would still get your shocks looked at, around where we live it's not the shocks it's the roads, you get on an interstate and it rides like a dream, but that's not where I drive most. :)

·
Registered
2012 Escalade AWD
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I live in southern california. Mostly I feel any changes in road height. Patches or cracks in the road I feel a rough ride. When I am on the freeway and its smooth, its a great ride, but if I hit a bridge or bump in the road, my head hits the ceiling from it jumping and bouncing.

Seems like I feel any changes in road height difference between driver side and passenger side as well, rocking back and forth

I'll get the shocks checked out. I dont have confidence that the place I bought it from changed them out before selling

·
Registered
2010 ESV Platinum WDT
189 Posts
Magnetic ride shocks taddle on themselves as they begin to go out by becoming bouncy and it progressively worsens over time. That rock you describe in crossing pavement/bridge variations makes it sound like the shocks are done.

Ride on 22's is fine when suspension plays nice.

·
Registered
2008 Escalade
311 Posts
Sounds like your struts. They usually go between 80k and 100k miles so you're early but I would get them looked at. I have 22s and it was a smooth ride until my struts went bad at 112k miles. I felt every bump and it was a STIFF ride.

·
Registered
'11 Cadillac Escalade
337 Posts
Like the other above said above have your suspension checked out might be the issue. I just got new front shocks/struts a few weeks ago. I was still using my 18" winter rims the ride was super bouncy.
If it's not the suspension consider down sizing your rims or you could get larger tires to soften the ride.

·
Registered
2011 Escalade ESV Premium 2WD
28 Posts
What your are describing is exactly what I experience when I bought my 2011 a year ago from a Chevy dealer. It is definitely one of your from struts or rear shocks.

I could isolate my stiffness to the passenger side front strut - dealer wanted $450 for the strut plus labor - I found the OEM struts on Amazon for $224 each - bought both fronts and took it back to the chevy dealer I bought the truck from and they charged me a very low labor rate to install them and align it. They showed me where the passenger front had leaked out and locked up.

I have since bought two new ones for the rear (amazon as well) and I will do those myself since they are regular shocks with the magnetic ride control connector ...

Doing just the fronts was night and day - rides like a Caddy should!!

·
Registered
2009 Escalade Premium
3 Posts
I have a 2009 with magnetic ride control. I have changed struts and rear shocks with factory replacements and it still rides like a skateboard. To the point of washboarding and having to fight it all the time. On top of that the cruise control is out. I have replaced the stoplight switch and buttons on the steering wheel. Don't know what else to do. It is not throwing any codes except service suspension soon, traction control is off and service stabilatrack.

·
Registered
Cadillac
1,031 Posts
They all ride like a Mack Truck. If you search around here, I hate my wife's Escalade. It's definitely the 22" wheels. She loves it, I hate it. My 2003 rides like a dream. Plusher seats, wider seats. They say the 2015's ride much much nicer with 18" wheels.

·
Registered
2007 STS-V, 2007 Escalade, 2003 Escalade EXT, 2014 ELR
825 Posts
I have a 2009 with magnetic ride control. I have changed struts and rear shocks with factory replacements and it still rides like a skateboard. To the point of washboarding and having to fight it all the time. On top of that the cruise control is out. I have replaced the stoplight switch and buttons on the steering wheel. Don't know what else to do. It is not throwing any codes except service suspension soon, traction control is off and service stabilatrack.
Check your suspension compressor for the rear shocks.

I just changed my rears and found the compressor although it would run wasn't strong enough anymore to pump the shocks up. It was pretty loud which clued me in to something not quite right. With the old pump it would run and after it stopped I could still squeeze the air bladders on the shocks pretty easily. The new pump is much quieter and pumps the shocks up much more firm. The difference in ride was very noticeable after replacing the suspension compressor.

Recently I also replaced the rear panhard bar. The old one seemed to be not so firm with only 73K miles on it. I bought a replacement from GM partsdirect for around $60 shipped but didn't end up using it. I had the aftermarket QA1 tubular bar with poly bushings from my 05 that fit my 07. That also helped calm the rear swaying on uneven roads.

----------

You'll probably have to downgrade wheels to a smaller size to get the ride you want.

I test drove two different 07s when I was shopping, the one with the higher miles and 18" wheels rode better than the one I bought with the 22s. I have a nice set of 20s I'm going to put on it after all my suspension work is done and a new alignment performed, I'm not crazy about the ride on 22s either.

My 07 with less miles and 22s rides worse than my 05 with 17" wheels did.

The wheel size makes quite a bit of difference, even an inch larger takes away 1/2" of sidewall height and you can feel that. On the Saturn Sky I had, going from the stock 18" wheels to 19" wheels was very noticeable.
I finally got around to installing my 20" wheels with new tires and it rides much better than the 22s that were on it before.

·
Registered
2011 Escalade ESV
38 Posts
They all ride like a Mack Truck. If you search around here, I hate my wife's Escalade. It's definitely the 22" wheels. She loves it, I hate it. My 2003 rides like a dream. Plusher seats, wider seats. They say the 2015's ride much much nicer with 18" wheels.
LOL you think it rides a little rough with duece duece's try 26" rims. A little rougher than I like but looks great

1 - 20 of 30 Posts