Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2001 ElDorado ETC, 2005 STS V8
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys and Gals, It's been a while since I have posted, I read all STS threads and comment on occasion. This has been bugging me for a while, the front end of my 05 STS is too low, bumper draggs all the time very irritating. Just replaced my upper control arms, and I will be doing the lower control arms soon, but I changed the springs using GM for my model, and was surprised that It didn't have any affect on ride height, do the control arms have any affect on ride height?? I have standard struts no electronic sensors for ride height, at least none that I have found, any way of raising the front end besides spring spacers?? Both front fender wells measure 25 1/2" and both rear measure 27 3/4. Thanks.

·
Registered
08 STS 1SG HUD ACC F55 AWD, 08 STS 1SG Platinum HUD ACC F55 RWD
289 Posts
When I bought my 4.6 Platinum 08, a previous owner had removed the magnetic shocks and replaced the springs with what I think was D3 aftermarket. I replaced with stock springs and shocks and happened to take measurements which follow: OLD
26 1/2 Front 26 1/2

27 7/8 Rear 27 13/16

NEW
28 1/4 Front 28 1/8

28 1/4 Rear 28 1/4

True, it is not an 05, but I think the measurements will cross model years. Old had a noticeably lowered stance when compared to stock and did scrub sometimes. New looks and acts stock and to me is much improved. I hope nothing changes the formatting or my layout above will be scrambled. Good Luck

·
Registered
289 Posts
Is your STS a 3.6 or a 4.6? Also the springs are computer selected at time of manufacture and have a 3 character code. The first character is ether a 6,7,8 or a 9 and designate left and right front or left and right rear respectively. Mine happened to end with SG. Did you or someone get the exact spring from the manufacture code? You can get a printout of all RPOs from any GM dealer if you are polite and they are in a good mood. Hope this drivel helps.

·
Registered
2006 STS4 4.6L
422 Posts
I think CWB is right, your struts are either totally shot or are basically the wrong ones (for factory ride height). There is no way control arms would affect it like that.

·
Registered
08 STS-4 N* 1SG, 08 DTS Luxury II, 04 Bonneville GXP N*
3,205 Posts
If those are the correct springs for your vehicle, those three character codes 7DB or 7LJ should appear on the Service Parts Identification label on the underside of you spare tire cover. Otherwise, they are not correct for your car and you need to get the right ones. For something like springs, you should always order them based on your VIN. Online GM parts dealers typically have a way to contact them first to ensure correct fitment. Shocks don't support the weight of the vehicle, so unless they are physically too short and are holding the spring compressed beyond what it should be, they won't cause the car to sit low. Chances are, if this was the case, it would be physically different enough you wouldn't be able to install them. You can take a brand new shock out of the box, set one end on the ground and completely compress it with much less than your body weight. In fact, you're supposed to do this three or four times before installing a new shock/strut.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Listen to Ddalder.
Maybe - are the hard rubber cushions at the top and bottom of the spring missing or crushed?

·
Registered
08 STS-4 N* 1SG, 08 DTS Luxury II, 04 Bonneville GXP N*
3,205 Posts
Some references I found for that part number say it can be used in either the 4.6L or 3.6L, others say it's for the 3.6L (suspension codes aside, which is your true reference). If it's indeed correct that these are for a 3.6L vehicle, I'm not surprised that it sits low, given it's going to be much lighter in the front end than the heavier V8. I've seen many, many parts diagrams and descriptions over the years that are generic, so often what you'll read is not the best information to base a purchase on when several options exist.

Damaged or missing insulators is certainly a consideration, but WOW, that is sitting low!

·
Registered
2001 ElDorado ETC, 2005 STS V8
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi guys, Thanks for the comments, and info. I did give the vin to verify the correct parts before ordering the springs, I also compared them side by side during installation, same parts by vision. the insulators and the mount were in good condition, I may pick up a new set of those to cover my bases, I will be replacing the lower control arm ball joints and bushings soon and can install new insulators and mound then. It is in this condition because of Me. But with the help this great forum provides the mystery of how I got this screwed up will be revealed and that information will in turn help others.... hopefully!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts