Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1981 Coupe DeVille 8-6-4
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody have any suggestions on bumper filler kits?
I've found them on caddy daddy, eBay, and many other places online.
I'm curious as to any suggestions any enthusiast may offer.

Thanks!

·
Registered
78 CDV, 79 CDV delegance, 80 CDV, 80 FWB 2dr delegance (rip)
1,150 Posts
Stick to the OEM- check local salvage yards or local craigslist or search all of craigslist
Aftermarket are simply- no good PERIOD

·
Registered
86 Bronco, 74 Ford LTD,1999 Deville, 1977 Coupe Deville
305 Posts
Stick to the OEM- check local salvage yards or local craigslist or search all of craigslist
Aftermarket are simply- no good PERIOD
I've been searching old threads here for a week and that is the main answer. My problem is that I'm 150 miles from a decent size town & pretty much homebound. I just bought a 1977 Coupe Deville & need the full set of fillers.
I will have to take a chance on aftermarket. I just wish I knew the difference between the $200.00 ABS set & the $350.00 ABS sets. One fellow on Ebay says his are the only flexible ones on the market but does not mention the material. He has the ends only. My search here found mention of fiberglass ones but I have not found a source or price for those.
Sometimes I have to make do with what is available to me. Anything would be better than the big gap! Heh..Heh

·
Registered
78 CDV, 79 CDV delegance, 80 CDV, 80 FWB 2dr delegance (rip)
1,150 Posts
I've been searching old threads here for a week and that is the main answer. My problem is that I'm 150 miles from a decent size town & pretty much homebound. I just bought a 1977 Coupe Deville & need the full set of fillers.
I will have to take a chance on aftermarket. I just wish I knew the difference between the $200.00 ABS set & the $350.00 ABS sets. One fellow on Ebay says his are the only flexible ones on the market but does not mention the material. He has the ends only. My search here found mention of fiberglass ones but I have not found a source or price for those.
Sometimes I have to make do with what is available to me. Anything would be better than the big gap! Heh..Heh
That's true, I hate how that big gap looks. I scored a complete set of front and rear fillers for my 78 off of craigslist for $50 All 4! The front ones on fender and the rear ones. I only installed the driver side rear as that was the one it needed the most. The way I came across it was I searched all of craigslist thru here www.adhuntr.com and type in your search. Good luck

EDIT- These were original fillers- not aftermarket.

·
Registered
chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
6,397 Posts
I have the left front fillers (under headlamp L shaped one nd square one that bolts to the fender) for a 77-79. If you're interested, I'd do 25 shipped on them.

·
Registered
86 Bronco, 74 Ford LTD,1999 Deville, 1977 Coupe Deville
305 Posts
I'm going to order the $200.00 shipped six piece rear set off Ebay. I'm not even going to tag my car until the gap is filled. If they are too crappy, I'll at least know what they look like & fab my own out of steel sheet.

·
Registered
1980 Eldorado, 1974 Talisman, 2004 Volvo C70, 1975 Fleetwood 'd Elegance
7,958 Posts
I have a mix of both original and ABS plastic and even one fiberglass on my 87.
I would not hesitate to order any of them exclusively.
Maybe I was just lucky, maybe I am not that fussy, I don't know?:noidea:

The original ones are easier to install and get straight, but they also have a tendency to slightly warp out of shape even when fitted well. I often see them bow in a bit right behind where they meet the fender. They also will eventually crumble like the originals. :rant2:

I have heard the argument that some want them because they will "give" in an accident.
Personally, if I am hit hard enough that that would be an issue, it will not be my foremost problem IMO.:banghead:

I would rather take the time and effort to fit the hard ones and get them looking as good as possible, even if not perfect, knowing it is a "one and done".

I installed all of mine myself, but bought none of them, they were included with the car. They were just slapped on by me, with very little fussing or fitting and are not flush and fit and lined up perfectly. No one has ever noticed and mentioned it, and it does not in the least diminish my driving enjoyment, or cause me embarrassment. :cloud9:

It is actually my "nod" to originality.:D Keeping in the spirit of the great General Motors of the Seventies and Eighties body fitment standards!:histeric:

·
Registered
1980 Eldorado, 1974 Talisman, 2004 Volvo C70, 1975 Fleetwood 'd Elegance
7,958 Posts
One thing I found installing mine was that the rear ones have a metal support inside them set up to "pinch" the soft filler to the fender.
I have heard others say they need to be cut to install the hard fillers.
I found that I did not have to cut anything. I just took the right hand one and flipped it over for the left and vise versa.
Worked great on mine?....no cuttting!

Again, maybe I was just lucky? Worth a try before you break out the angle grinder though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts