Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1981 Parisienne Brougham - 1996 FWB
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried or installed the Bully Dog Watchdog in their OBDII 1996 Fleetwood? I really want to be able to monitor temperature, etc., including gas mileage.

·
Registered
84 Coupe w/500
5,665 Posts
You should try a smart phone app called torque pro. They have a free one but I bought the $5 app. Then you buy the $15 blue ODBII plug-in and you are set. It tells you EVERYTHING. IAT, TPS, intake air temp, coolant temp, O2 readings, O2 volts, O2 temps, rpm, speed, engine codes, gps with speed monitering, engine graphs, torque/hp being used and more stuff I cant think of. You can customize your screens and gauges. Like have your O2 gauges on one screen and then swipe over to your temp sensor screen...its just a nice a$$ program for 20 bucks. The cool thing is that you can just unplug it and plug it into the next ODB11 port on the next car and read the same stuff without programming anything.

·
Super Moderator
2014 ELR
9,724 Posts
For my wife's OBD2 car, I use Torque (free version) with a cheap bluetooth adapter off ebay paired with my phone. Works perfectly. No need to invest big bucks for something you can do for 20.
41Az3fTTRAL._SX300_.jpg

·
Registered
84 Coupe w/500
5,665 Posts
Yep, thats it. Pretty slick how it works. Jay, have you tried to erase codes on yours yet? I tried and it didnt turn the engine light off but said the code was erased.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did some googling and found the Scangauge2 might be easier to fit in the dash area. Both do about the same, while the Scangauge2 can be installed with velcro. It's also a bit less expensive.

I had thought of smartphone apps, but I want something that stays with the car. Both Watchdog and Scangauge can provide the information I need plus more to play with... especially since the car has no gauges. Both my 1989 Coupe Devilles have built-in monitors, and I can check most engine functions, read codes, and reset engine light with the built-in system.

I own an Equus 3160 scanner, but I use it mainly for troubleshooting.

I've owned the FWB since October 2010; winters stored in underground parking. It has less than 95,000 miles, and runs like a charm, but I'm old school and like to discover problems before they become serious ones.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just ordered the ScanGuage II from ScanGuage Canada. It should arrive next week. I will provide info as to compatibility and usefulness. I had considered installing the traditional three gauges (oil, temperature, volts) but thought it intrusive to the originality of the car.

In contrast, with electronics and OBDII, there will be a plethora of information available while traveling, and/or troubleshooting, and mounting of the unit will not be as ostentatious. The WatchDog from Bully Dog was my second choice.

Thanks for the responses folks!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Scangauge II is great. Does exactly what I needed. Plugged it in and it worked immediately without having to jump through hoops to make it work.
I'm able to see RPM; Volts; Temperature; MPG or just about anything I want. I am especially impressed with the ease of use.

My next issue is choosing where to mount it.

Too bad I don't have an oil gauge... maybe that's next.

IMHO... it's a great investment, especially on 1996 and newer cars as one can monitor engine performance at a glance, plus read and reset the Check Engine light.

There are other goodies I still have to learn a bit more about my Scangauge II, but for now... I have solved my problem!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts