Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
06 CTS-V
2,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i installed my exhaust a few days ago, so i cruised around with my stereo and a/c off with the windows rolled up to listen to it. while doing my test cruise and going slow i hear this very faint rubbing noise. i could only hear it with everything noisy off and the windows up, i could only hear it while going slow too. the next day i washed my car and i could swear it was louder. i even heard a few clicking noises. so i jack up the car spin all the wheels to see if its the brakes, nothing. i pull on the wheels to see if there is any bearing play, nothing. i make sure my exhaust is clearing all the suspension and the swaybar, everything looks fine so, i'm puzzled. i'm starting to think its a diff problem, the noise comes from the rear drivers side.
i spray my rotors and brakes with caliper cleaner then take it for a test drive. i just faintly hear it but seems better. so i turn my sterero back on and go for a cruise. well just before coming home i decide to turn the stero off, now the sound is loud, so i'm freaked out. i jack the car up and was going to take of the driver side rear wheel. my rims i recently got, have very deep lug holes so my tire iron won't fit, so i put them on with a socket snugged them up then used a torque wrench to tighten. well when i whet to take the wheel off i could undo the lug nuts by hand, holy scary thought.
i never felt any wobble while driving so i never even thought about that.
good thing i test drove my car with the stero off or i woulda never noticed untill my wheel fell off.
i either must have forgot to torque that one rim, or someone tried stealing my rim but got to the locking lug nut and abandoned the idea, i think it was the prior.

now just this morning i hit a small bump, didn't even seem like much, but then i start hearing a clicking noise. it sounds suspension related, so now i'm like wtf. i pull into work and push on the front drivers side do see if i can duplicate the noise. sure enough every time the suspension goes down i hear the click. somebody watching me do this is like "sounds like your struts".
well i got someone to push on the car while i felt around to see if i could tell where it was coming from, i could feel it when i touched the strut.
so i jack up the car, examine the strut and determine its gotta be the dust sheild clicking. so i decide to cut it off. as i am doing so i notice the plastic has a small crack around the accordian. i cut it off no more clicking.
i've had enough freak outs this week.:rant2:

any body think i should get a new dust boot?
my suspension is lowered and i know some people cut off those boots because of noise. this is my first encounter with any noise since i have been lowered, and it been about four months that i have had it lowered now.

·
Registered
37,297 Posts
I would replace it, those dust boots are there for a reason.

bulging; someone get lawfive in this thread, he seems to be obsessed with bulge.

·
Registered
Sedan de Ville, CTS
4,764 Posts
This would have been a good time for you to lose a wheel or two, as there are some for sale in the classified section.

LOL

Hope you resovled your problems with car.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts