Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Building Custom Air Intake :: I Have Questions

4898 Views 26 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  codewize
I am going to build a custom air intake for my 1996 STS.
I need to know which sensors there are and any important information.
This air intake will be routed to a good location and will have a cone filter on the end.

I know that the OE air box has some type of air temperature sensor.
I can integrate that. I don't need to worry about the sensors on the MAF area, do I? I am only replacing the tubing and filter. There will be no box.

Does anyone know what size our OE tubes are, from the MAF screen to the air box?

Any suggestions or advice?
Any problems I may run into?
Thanks in advance!
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Someone should make a ram air setup for the seville and eldorado. It wouldn't be hard just look under the hood of the ram air grand am and I am sure someone could engineer something.
Why are you bothering? The factory set up is already CAI.

Ram air won't take effect till you are well over 100 MPH.
Well Ranger that is about the range I like to drive :)
The factory setup can be improved, as far as the air box and filter.
I want a little more air flow. Or should I add an icebox? ;) The Volant is supposed to make a difference ion the DeVille, but there's no Volant for the Seville.
You could probably modify the volant to fit the seville if you want to. I don't anticipate you getting any horsepower that would be worth the money though. That's why none of us do it we just modify the airboxes if we want and it costs next to nothing.
Okay then.
It's much easier on my ATV.
Drill some holes in the air box lid and your set. :lol:
Too bad there are no good mods for the Seville.

I think I actually want more torque, which won't come from exhaust or air mods.
Don't know how to get the torque :( Oh well - nothing's easy.
Ok in looking at the volant for the deville it may not work. On the seville the filter box pulls air through the computer as well to keep it cool. On the deville it looks like it would divert the air away from that setup alltogether and would thus overheat the computer and potentially ruin it ?
LOL that would suck.
Where's CadillacETC1997 at? He's modding one, I think...

Ok in looking at the volant for the deville it may not work. On the seville the filter box pulls air through the computer as well to keep it cool. On the deville it looks like it would divert the air away from that setup alltogether and would thus overheat the computer and potentially ruin it ?
By the way...
This is another good reason to explain why the Cadillac's are best STOCK.
At least our Seville's are.
yeah for sure I am going to put up a post in the deville forums and see how there setup is.
im here
the volant box does contain the pcm within in, devilles and sevilles have VERY similar air intakes the devilles is slightly bigger though right now im too tapped to buy a volant to do the mods but im 95% a deville volant can be made to work on a seville
I wish I had the money to give it a try. I also emailed volant to see if I could use it. 350 is alot to put up for 15-20 hp isn't it ?
technically yes
but for our car there isnt anything
corsas 1100+ and thats only 20 HP at peak RPM
im building my own cat back same measurements and design for 300 bucks prob net around 15 hp
Can't wait to hear or see it :)
I think I actually want more torque, which won't come from exhaust or air mods. Don't know how to get the torque :( Oh well - nothing's easy.
If you want torque, install the SLS intake cams. More torque in front of the shorter 3.71:1 final drive = fun. That's how the Bonneville GXP came -- 275 hp engine with the 3.71:1 final drive.
Hmmm...
Anything gained usually equals something lost, right?
What will be lost and how will it affect my high end speed?
Just the opposite. The top end is where you'll gain. Your going to loose low end torque.

Hmmm...
Anything gained usually equals something lost, right?
What will be lost and how will it affect my high end speed?
This is an interesting thought. So in my case we would get a VIN Y engine into the VIN 9 car. then do the HP upgrades to get close to the VIN 9 300HP. At the same time the torque of the VIN Y engine will make up all the losses. Hmmmmm. Now what about the PCM?
If you want torque, install the SLS intake cams. More torque in front of the shorter 3.71:1 final drive = fun. That's how the Bonneville GXP came -- 275 hp engine with the 3.71:1 final drive.
Ouch.
I want an improved 0-60.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.