Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 Buick Lucerne with a 4.6L Cadillac Northstar engine As you guys all know it overfills the engine bay and is a complete nightmare for changing parts especially the alternator where 50% of the car has to be dismantled.I want to change the serpentine belt so I need to know what I am up against.The vehicle is lightly used with only 65,000 miles on it. Any help especially diagrams or procedures would be most helpful. Thanks in advance

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,847 Posts
At 65,000 the belt should look close to new. What problems do you have that make you want to change the belt?

There's a tab on the belt tensioner hub with a square hole for a 3/8 or 1/2 socket wrench (I forget which size). Lever the tensioner to relieve belt tension and slip it off the P/S pulley. Patience, tools, magic words.

Belt routing and pulleys.gif

Reactions: Omac

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited by Moderator)
I am giving the car to my son. I want it to be in the best possible condition and not have him worry about maintenance /repair items too soon. Having said that how long is this serpentine belt good for?

I also have a whirring sound when I start the car and it continues for awhile after I shut down the engine. Sounds like some pulley freewheeling? Any thoughts?

·
Administrator
69,847 Posts
Where is the whirrr located? Engine compartment, cabin, trunk, under the rear? Fan noise?

I doubt you'll get much good Buick info in these Cadillac forums.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The whirring noise is coming from the engine compartment almost like a rotating pulley bad bearing or bushing.
So i'm thinking idler pulley, tensioner pulley, ac compressor. I do not suspect the alternator as I have replaced many and haven't heard anything like this from an alternator. It's like the whirr of a jet engine taking off. I asked questions on this forum because of the Cadilac Northstar Engine 4.6 L

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am giving the car to my son. I want it to be in the best possible condition and not have him worry about maintenance /repair items too soon. Having said that how long is this serpentine belt good for?

I also have a whirring sound when I start the car and it continues for awhile after I shut down the engine. Sounds like some pulley freewheeling? Any thoughts?
First thing that comes to mind is electric fan

·
Administrator
69,847 Posts
Normally the Northstar cooling fans do not run after engine - OFF except if the engine is seriously overheated. Otherwise they run in SLOW if the coolant gets to 224 degrees; FAST at 236. The fans run in SLOW any time some A/C compressor function is set and usually don't run at over 30 mph - not needed.

Or something is causing the AIR blower to run all the time - but it's only supposed to run for short periods at cold start to quickly light off the cat.

A pulley would not be heard for more than 3 - 4 seconds after engine - OFF if the belt had any tension at all.

Does a Buick Northstar install use an electric coolant pump?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts