Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
and the XTS didn't, why?

The XTS is built on the same platform and could have really used the 9 speed, as it's archaic 6 speed
is truly outdated. The L-Cross also got the newer V6. If the XTS was updated to these with the other improvements for MY 2018, maybe more people would have bought them and they'd still be around. Sad.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's kind of my point, if GM gave the XTS these powertrain improvements perhaps they would have sold more and it survived. The XTS with a modern 9 speed and all the improvements they've made to the V6 would've really helped. It kills me the fugly looking L-Cross got all this and the gorgeous XTS got none and chopped at the block.

·
Registered
486 Posts
I suspect that the new model (CT5 ?) will probably have what the La Cross has at a somewhat of a premium level.

·
Registered
713 Posts
and the XTS didn't, why?

The XTS is built on the same platform and could have really used the 9 speed, as it's archaic 6 speed
is truly outdated. The L-Cross also got the newer V6. If the XTS was updated to these with the other improvements for MY 2018, maybe more people would have bought them and they'd still be around. Sad.
Even with the announcement of it's demise, the XTS is still out selling cars in it's class as well as the CT6. Another reason for Cadillac dropping the XTS is to get it out of the way of the CT6 in hope that this move might drive up the sells of the CT6. With the changes that were made to the XTS in 2018, IMO GM/Cadillac could have equipped the XTS with the 10 Speed Transmission but the focus was on the CT6. I owned the CT6 with the 8 Speed Transmission and personally I like the 6 Speed Transmission in my XTS far much better.
The 2020 LaCrosse will be offered in China, in the USA much like the XTS, as Roy Rogers and Dale Evans would sing, it's, Happy Trails:ride:

·
Registered
486 Posts
When I was considering a new vehicle, I test drove a 2014 CTS. It had a 10 speed transmission, if I recall correctly. It shifted very smooth. But, I liked the smooth ride of the XTS better. I thought a 10 speed in the XTS would have been winner. It seemed like a no brainier. I guess Cadillac was trying to have a reason to buy a CTS. I have not drove a CT6 yet. From what I have been reading about the ride, I may just pass though.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
The XTS isn't being discontinued due to sales - it's one of Cadillac's top selling vehicles. It's being discontinued because it doesn't fit the brand.

Also, I don't see the fact that the XTS kept the 6-speed as a negative. These new 8/9/10-speed trannys are proving to be nightmares. The 6-speed is a proven unit that works great.

·
Registered
713 Posts
When I was considering a new vehicle, I test drove a 2014 CTS. It had a 10 speed transmission, if I recall correctly. It shifted very smooth. But, I liked the smooth ride of the XTS better. I thought a 10 speed in the XTS would have been winner. It seemed like a no brainier. I guess Cadillac was trying to have a reason to buy a CTS. I have not drove a CT6 yet. From what I have been reading about the ride, I may just pass though.
Never base your decisions on others opinions with out checking things out for yourself. Even with 19" or 20" wheels, IMO both the CT6 and XTS still give a decent ride on mostly all surfaces. Although some might differ my only advice would be to stay away from a high performance tires.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I don't mind the 6-speed. It works and does it without drama. It doesn't have a non-intuitive E-Shifter either.
Some of these transmissions with a large number of speeds don't know what gear they want to be in.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
If you've driven an Audi, BMW Lexus etc 8 spd, you'd realize just how poor the archaic 6 speed is. Never an issue with the 8 speeds in the aforementioned German vehicles or in the 9 speed in our MB. The XTS did not get a fair shake with GM putting everything into the CT6 and L-Cross which were both duds and too expensive for what they are...

·
Registered
486 Posts
Never base your decisions on others opinions with out checking things out for yourself. Even with 19" or 20" wheels, IMO both the CT6 and XTS still give a decent ride on mostly all surfaces. Although some might differ my only advice would be to stay away from a high performance tires.
Thanks for the feedback. I do consider feedback when I consider things. At times, it helps narrow down the field, kind of like Consumer Reports. Yet unlike Consumer Reports, feedback is not for gain. Most times, a honest opinion from an average person. But, I may look at a CT6 if I test drive a XT6.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
If you've driven an Audi, BMW Lexus etc 8 spd, you'd realize just how poor the archaic 6 speed is. Never an issue with the 8 speeds in the aforementioned German vehicles or in the 9 speed in our MB. The XTS did not get a fair shake with GM putting everything into the CT6 and L-Cross which were both duds and too expensive for what they are...
Those are all the same trannys. The 8/9/10 speed boxes are "global" units. You'll find the exact same transmission in a Chevy/Honda/Toyota that you'll find in an Audi/Benz. My wife has a Jeep Cherokee with the 9-speed...exact same box that's in the GLC and GLA (and in pretty much everything else with a 9-speed), and it sucks in those (and all other) applications.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Those are all the same trannys. The 8/9/10 speed boxes are "global" units. You'll find the exact same transmission in a Chevy/Honda/Toyota that you'll find in an Audi/Benz. My wife has a Jeep Cherokee with the 9-speed...exact same box that's in the GLC and GLA (and in pretty much everything else with a 9-speed), and it sucks in those (and all other) applications.
They're not all made by the same manufacturer (several make both 8 and 9 speeds), and the ZF 8 speeds and MB's new 9G are some of the best automatic transmissions on the market and GM uses neither. GM makes their own 8 speed and it is NOT German/ZF.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
They're not all made by the same manufacturer (several make both 8 and 9 speeds), and the ZF 8 speeds and MB's new 9G are some of the best automatic transmissions on the market and GM uses neither. GM makes their own 8 speed and it is NOT German/ZF.
ZF 8-speed that you are referring to, notice the list of applications:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZF_9HP_transmission

ZF 9-speed that you are referring to...exact same POS that's in my wife's Cherokee:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZF_9HP_transmission

You can look in the "references" section for the laundry list of problems both those units have.

But you are right about one thing, GM uses neither. Thankfully. I'm actually pleasantly surprised to find that.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Per Car and Driver:
"UPDATE 11/26/18: Chevrolet representative Kevin Kelly confirmed to C/D that Cruze and Volt production will end in March 2019 and Impala production will end in the fourth quarter of 2019. GM representative Jim Cain said that Buick LaCrosse production will also end in March, Cadillac XTS production will end in the fourth quarter of 2019, and Cadillac CT6 production will end in mid-2019, although he also added that this announcement will not affect the recently revealed CT6-V. GM will do a short production run of CT6-V models for the U.S. market before the Hamtramck plant shuts down, Cain told C/D."

Don't know, just saying.

·
Registered
232 Posts
And when is the garage sale and the final closing of the doors of GM???
GM should have died in 09-10 but then, there was Odumdum.

Still everyone wants the Escalade, Yukon, Tahoe, Suburban, Denali anything, or similar.
I looked at Suburban/Yukon XL and I couldn't afford one that didn't have 150k already.
$80k+ for a Yukon XL $100k for an Escalade! That's a $1000+ monthly lease!
Some of the greatest cars made today are the Cadillac V Series and even those are 100k.
Hell, the XTS V-Sport is 70k+

They stay alive by making a profit!

It will go full circle though. But right now, one of the best value in automobiles is the Cadillac sedan.

IMHO

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
GM should have died in 09-10 but then, there was Odumdum.

Still everyone wants the Escalade, Yukon, Tahoe, Suburban, Denali anything, or similar.
I looked at Suburban/Yukon XL and I couldn't afford one that didn't have 150k already.
$80k+ for a Yukon XL $100k for an Escalade! That's a $1000+ monthly lease!
Some of the greatest cars made today are the Cadillac V Series and even those are 100k.
Hell, the XTS V-Sport is 70k+

They stay alive by making a profit!

It will go full circle though. But right now, one of the best value in automobiles is the Cadillac sedan.

IMHO
Even the Tahoe is averaging $70k MSRP now, and they can't build enough of them. I've got a 2010 with 80k and it would still sell for $20-22k!!! Full-size SUVs are literal gold, and GM is fortunate to offer the best ones in the category. GM really could survive comfortably just selling full size trucks and SUVs.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts