Cadillac Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, just curious, how possible would it be to swap a Buick 3800 Series II Supercharged engine into a 2002 Cadillac Deville? Let’s say I use a Buick Park Avenue (97-05) as a donor vehicle. I’ve seen someone do it using a Pontiac Bonneville as a donor vehicle to a Seville STS. Just looking for some advice in case if I decide to this.

·
Administrator
2002 F55 STS, 2014 Explorer XLT, F-150s
75,902 Posts
The V6 (3.8L) engines were rated at 240 hp, so that's 35 less than the VIN Y (economy) 4.6L Northstar at 275. The VIN 9 Northstar was rated at 300 hp. The torque ratings are a tad less than those of the 4.6L Northstars.

VIN Y = base, DHS

VIN 9 = DTS (to late 2005) The later "DTS" is NOT a Deville.

Text Line Font Parallel Design

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The V6 (3.8L) engines were rated at only 240 hp, so that's 35 less than the VIN Y (economy) Northstar at 275. The VIN 9 Northstar was rated at 300 hp.
I would more so do it to avoid the common headaches with an aging Northstar. My brother’s Cadillac has been giving him a ton of issues, but the body is in pretty good shape. So I would like to buy it and turn it into a project of sorts, just a comfortable, reliable cruiser, nothing fast or crazy.

·
Administrator
75,902 Posts
??? "common headaches" ???

The 2002 engine has the new roller cams and had much, much less trouble in the way of failing cylinder block head bolt hole threads.

EDIT: Study the head gasket failure poll in the stickies in Engines; Northstar.

With faithful care and maintenance there's no reason a 2000 - 2005 Northstar should not go to 150,000 - 200,000 - normal wear items are maintenance, not repair.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
??? "common headaches" ???

The 2002 engine has the new roller cams and had much, much less trouble in the way of failing cylinder block head bolt hole threads.
That’s interesting, because his has been nothing but trouble. He’s not been very good with keeping up maintenance. I figured at 160k his engine wasn’t worth putting much money into at this time, especially after how much he’s overheated it 🤦🏾‍♂️

·
Administrator
75,902 Posts
Do you (or he) speak "coolant purge line" ? - "overheating"

Under what conditions did the engine "overheat" ? Losing coolant out the exhaust ?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Do you (or he) speak "coolant purge line" ? - "overheating"

Under what conditions did the engine "overheat" ? Losing coolant out the exhaust ?
I don’t know the exact circumstances, he’s not very good with cars (obviously) so he didn’t know exactly. But it seems to me that his car burns coolant and oil, because he explains that he is constantly having to top off the oil every few weeks, as well as the coolant. He also has issues with the camshaft position sensor(sensors?) I don’t know if that could be related.

·
Administrator
75,902 Posts
If he's filling the oil to the top hashmark that's overfilled by over 1/2 quart and the engine will quickly burn off the excess. Read the correct oil fill TSB in the stickies in Engines; Northstar - Piston Ring Cleaning.

Same for coolant. The surge tank should be about half full, ambient cold. Too full and it blows off coolant during normal expansion as the engine warms. BUT the Deville is noted for corroded/rusty heater coolant piping.

The CMP (CaMshaft Position sensor) is a low failure rate item - on the front (passenger end) of the right (rear) cylinder head.

The two original CKPs (CranKshaft Position sensor) are prone to failure - made by Siemens in Mexico. The replacements are made by DENSO in Japan and are forever.

Line art Diagram Illustration
Technology Material property Electronics Electronic component Auto part
Transparency

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If he's filling the oil to the top hashmark that's overfilled by over 1/2 quart and the engine will quickly burn off the excess. Read the correct oil fill TSB in the stickies in Engines; Northstar - Piston Ring Cleaning.

Same for coolant. The surge tank should be about half full, ambient cold.
That’s very good to know, I’m sure he doesn’t know that 😅 Also, how many camshaft position sensors does the Northstar in his car have? I’ve been told there’s multiple, but I somehow doubt that’s true.

·
Administrator
75,902 Posts
One CMP and two CKPs. Post #8.

The Northstar did not get the trouble-prone VVT (Variable Valve Timing) with multiple CMPs until after late 2005. And I believe they went to one CKP - under the intake manifold.

EDIT: FWD Northstar dipstick -

< ==== ADD XXXXXXXXXX <== OPERATING RANGE =====oo=====O

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Same for coolant. The surge tank should be about half full, ambient cold. Too full and it blows off coolant during normal expansion as the engine warms. BUT the Deville is noted for corroded/rusty heater coolant piping.

The CMP (CaMshaft Position sensor) is a low failure rate item - on the front (passenger end) of the right (rear) cylinder head.

The two original CKPs (CranKshaft Position sensor) are prone to failure - made by Siemens in Mexico. The replacements are made by DENSO in Japan and are forever.

View attachment 590870 View attachment 590871 View attachment 590872
You, my sir, have been extremely helpful. Thank you very much! I guess it may not need to be swapped after all 🤔

·
Registered
183 Posts
If you decide to give the 3800 a go and need any info feel free to message me. I have a 2000 Impala LS with just under 500hp and ran my own company Modifying and building 3800's for several years.
Be happy to help out any way I can

Attachments

·
Administrator
75,902 Posts
I just edited Post 10.

Always read all the sticky threads, marked with a push pin, in any forum of interest. It's all timeless info.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If you decide to give the 3800 a go and need any info feel free to message me. I have a 2000 Impala LS with just under 500hp and ran my own company Modifying and building 3800's for several years.
Be happy to help out any way I can
I will keep you in mind for sure! To be completely honest, I know a lot about car history and such, but I want to gain practical skills, so I figured getting a project car would be a great idea for a rookie like me. Though and engine swap might be a bit ambitious right off the bat 😅

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
21,528 Posts
stuffing a completely different motor into a Deville is the "EASY" part -
getting it to actually RUN - that's a different story altogether -

a Buick V6 is NOT going to run using the existing Cadillac Northstar PCM computer system -
and I seriously doubt you'll be able to just take the complete Buick V6 PCM computer system - harness and all -
and transplant it into the Deville - even IF you could -
I can absolutely GUARANTEE - it will NOT merge with the rest of the Deville computer systems -

·
Registered
183 Posts
The reality is an engine is an engine.
The sensors and the range the sensors operate in will be the issue and can be worked out if you understand what the PCM needs to operate effectively.

The PCM or ECU has no idea nor could care less what engine it's reading inputs from

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
21,528 Posts
The reality is an engine is an engine.
The sensors and the range the sensors operate in will be the issue and can be worked out if you understand what the PCM needs to operate effectively.

The PCM or ECU has no idea nor could care less what engine it's reading inputs from
====================
well - if YOU can wave your magic wand and re-program the Northstar's PCM -
you are a friggin' GENIUS - and will be the FIRST - ever to do so -

·
Registered
183 Posts
====================
well - if YOU can wave your magic wand and re-program the Northstar's PCM -
you are a friggin GENUS - and will be the FIRST - ever to do so -
No need to reprogram. Just need to get the Northstar sensors on the 3800.

Not rocket science but can be quite involved in many cases.
I can understand YOU being a smart ass about it though as you clearly don't have the knowledge base to grasp the scope of such a project

·
Registered
2011 CTS4 Coupe, 2014 ELR, 2018 XT5 AWD
1,312 Posts
No need to reprogram. Just need to get the Northstar sensors on the 3800.

Not rocket science but can be quite involved in many cases.
I can understand YOU being a smart ass about it though as you clearly don't have the knowledge base to grasp the scope of such a project
Swap sensors all you want. To get the Northstar PCM to be happy you are going to have to come up with two extra cylinders. Your going to have to convince it that it only needs 6 bangs per 2 rotations instead of 8. Please let me know what your plans are for that?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts