Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Cadillac CTS
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The CTS was my dad's car before he passed away. It has 23k miles on it and the tie rod broke in a parking lot on Sunday. He has curb rash on the wheel. Dealer is saying he hit something hard, I say no. I think it should be covered under warranty they say no. Any help would be appreciated. I was going to attach a picture but this won't let me in my gallery.

·
Registered
2012 CTS Luxury 3.0 AWD Red
34 Posts
Doesn't curb rash often just come from parking too close to the curb. Maybe I should know this but do the dealers make a lot less money for warranty work than direct to customer work?

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
14,170 Posts
Perhaps by looking at the tie rod you can ascertain how it broke. If it shows a clean fracture, then it would appear to have had a sudden impact, therefore driver error. If the broken area shows stress marks or some type of imperfection that could have led to the break, then you will have a case. You may need to get GM Customer Service involved if you believe you have a case, because it does not sound as if your dealer is on your side.

·
Super Moderator
'05 CTS-V
8,037 Posts
The CTS was my dad's car before he passed away. It has 23k miles on it and the tie rod broke in a parking lot on Sunday. He has curb rash on the wheel. Dealer is saying he hit something hard, I say no. I think it should be covered under warranty they say no. Any help would be appreciated. I was going to attach a picture but this won't let me in my gallery.
What do you expect help with? With no picture and no description of the failure it's impossible to tell you how the failure may have happened. (If you can't upload images here (which I think is the case until you get some number of posts, just to ensure you're not a spambot), then use one of the numerous free image hosting sites and post the pics that way.)

Maybe I should know this but do the dealers make a lot less money for warranty work than direct to customer work?
Yes.

·
Registered
Sold my 2009 CTS4 and my 2004 CTS
121 Posts
Sorry, without pictures, I have to vote no warranty.
I don't recall reading much here about defective tie rods.
Generally, tie rods wear, make noise, cause steering o shake.... but not a lot of breaking going on.

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
14,170 Posts
Sorry, without pictures, I have to vote no warranty.
I don't recall reading much here about defective tie rods.
Generally, tie rods wear, make noise, cause steering o shake.... but not a lot of breaking going on.
Not without a sudden impact. You summed it up for the "One and Done" o.p.

·
Registered
2010 CTS Wagon
214 Posts
Even in the absence of a clean break, it would likely be a non-warranty issue. Initial damage - readily obvious from quality photographs at some what high magnifications (say 5X) could show damage that could result in fatigue failure. Now if no damage and crack initiation occurred at machining marks or similar, and propagated by fatigue, you would have a case. The cost of investigation could greatly exceed the cost of the repair.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts