Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On February 27, I purchased a new 2014 Vsport from a dealer in suburban Chicago. That dealer obtained the car from a dealer in the Buffalo area and arranged for it to be driven to them in suburban Chicago. They prepped it and delivered it to me in downtown Chicago on March 6. I immediately heard a bothersome squeak, but decided to wait until I needed to bring it in for service to be addressed.

Last night (March 9), the engine light came on. Turns out that was fortunate, because it gave my local dealer in Chicago (not the dealer who sold me the car) reason to determine that the squeak was being caused by a broken front left strut. They're keeping the car as they say it is unsafe to drive in this condition (I agree). I'm not happy in general, and in particular I'm unhappy that the suburban dealer didn't identify this problem. But for now, can anyone advise of additional things I need to be sure the repairing dealer addresses? In other words, beyond replacing that broken strut, what else should go along with that repair? Front end alignment? Something else?

·
Registered
2014 CTS VSport white tri coat/cashmere interior
291 Posts
Asking for a front in alignment is probably a good idea. The only thing off hand I can think that would break the front strut is maybe somebody and hit a curb with it? I'd ask them to also inspect the wheel and make sure that it runs true and inspect all the suspension parts thoroughly.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Glamisfan said:
Asking for a front in alignment is probably a good idea. The only thing off hand I can think that would break the front strut is maybe somebody and hit a curb with it? I'd ask them to also inspect the wheel and make sure that it runs true and inspect all the suspension parts thoroughly.
Thanks. I'm told the strut could have been defective in the first place, but that's as much of a guess as anything. Good point about the wheel, too. Many thanks!

·
Registered
2014 CTS Vsport Premium
550 Posts
Definitely have the ball joints and steering components checked thoroughly. That stuff breaks and the wheel comes off... If the strut fails, it's not THAT big a deal.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
CTSVsport said:
Definitely have the ball joints and steering components checked thoroughly. That stuff breaks and the wheel comes off... If the strut fails, it's not THAT big a deal.
Will do. Thanks very much.

·
Registered
2014 CTS-VSport Premium
159 Posts
Someone did a lousy job with the PDI (Pre Delivery Inspection) if it had a broken strut upon delivery. I would have notified the dealer as soon as I heard the squeak when taking delivery as they could have claimed you caused the damage. Hope it works out and the car gets repaired properly. The more you drive this car the more you will love it. Congrats on the purchase.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
WWK888 said:
Someone did a lousy job with the PDI (Pre Delivery Inspection) if it had a broken strut upon delivery. I would have notified the dealer as soon as I heard the squeak when taking delivery as they could have claimed you caused the damage. Hope it works out and the car gets repaired properly. The more you drive this car the more you will love it. Congrats on the purchase.
Yeah, it's a bit of a jumble, because the original dealer, in Buffalo, would have done the PDI. At least that's what my selling dealer says. Of course, that doesn't explain how my selling dealer's Sales Manager, who drove it here himself, missed it, nor how my salesperson who says she drove it to fill the fuel tank didn't hear it. I heard it right away, and did notify my salesperson. She acknowledges that.

As to loving it, I'm sure you're right. I only had it for three days or so, and that was enough to make me completely dread the SRX loaner I'm in now.

Thanks for your comments.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My local dealer has now replaced the strut, but they tell me the noise remains. On GM's advice, they are now going to try replacing the control arms. Grrrrrrr.

·
Registered
2014 CTS-VSport Premium
159 Posts
Almost certainly an accident then, have EVERYTHING checked on that side, and a full alignment
If this is the case I might even try renegotiate the purchase price, especially if they knowingly sold you a vehicle that was involved in accident and they failed to disclose that to you. If nothing else, get them to throw in a bunch of freebies like one a month detail job, car cover or something...Good luck, keep us posted.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Almost certainly an accident then, have EVERYTHING checked on that side, and a full alignment
Can you tease that out for me a bit? What is it about what I've described that makes you think so? I'm not arguing with you, but I may ask some questions of the dealer about whether this thing was in an accident. In doing so, I'd prefer to know why, for example, you think that what I've described means this was almost certainly in an accident. That would be a pretty shocking move on the dealer's part, so I'd like to be able to speak intelligently about why I think that could be the case.

Alternatively, could these troubles be explained by the fact that this car was built in June 2014 (I think that's what I saw, anyway) and sat on a dealer's lot in Buffalo for the next nine months until now?

·
Registered
1999 Eldorado ETC coupe.
438 Posts
POTHOLES you strike will cause unbelievable damage to our cars.
This winter we all have a bumper crop of them.

·
Registered
cts v sport
55 Posts
POTHOLES you strike will cause unbelievable damage to our cars.
This winter we all have a bumper crop of them.
Absolutely true and my initial thought as well. But if the dealer failed to disclose an accident with material damage to the vehicle, that is another matter entirely.

·
Registered
2014 CTS Vsport, 2016 Chevy SS M6
493 Posts
Well, I'd stick with the theory that it was simply a defective part originally or an unreported curb shot/pot hole incident. Dealers will go to great lengths to keep a deal together (such as not hearing rattles and noises) but to assume they would withhold reportable accident damage info is a real stretch until you can prove or find evidence that says otherwise.

·
Registered
2014 CTS Vsport Premium
550 Posts
Control arms are pretty beefy parts with serious bushings. For them to need replacement, not just alignment, means the car took a significant hit.

It could be from a pothole, but I doubt that would be enough to bend a control arm.

·
Registered
2014 CTS-VSport Premium
159 Posts
Well, I'd stick with the theory that it was simply a defective part originally or an unreported curb shot/pot hole incident. Dealers will go to great lengths to keep a deal together (such as not hearing rattles and noises) but to assume they would withhold reportable accident damage info is a real stretch until you can prove or find evidence that says otherwise.
You mean dealers never lie??? Hahahahaha, good one!

·
Registered
2014 CTS Vsport, 2016 Chevy SS M6
493 Posts
^^^Reading comprehension my friend...pretty sure I said they do lie, I'm just not ready to assume the least likely scenario based on what the OP has shared so far. Sure, they 'could' have crashed a new car, fixed only portions of it, and then commit fraud by not disclosing it and then really be in a heap of trouble. I'm not going to leap to conclusions, but I think you should. No one said the control arm is bent either, GM is only suggesting that it be replaced as the next step. If the OP thinks it was crashed, take to a body shop and have them evaluate it.

·
Registered
2014 CTS-VSport Premium
159 Posts
No need to take my comments so seriously, just making a joke. However I have experienced some unbelievable behavior by a local dealer here.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts