Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1990 Deville
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks. I've owned a 1990 Deville now for three years. A few months ago somebody broke in and tried to steal the car. In the process they cracked open and broke the left hand side of the steering column. Luckily they didn't have the key with the little chip in it or else they could have started the car.

Putting the key in the ignition and turning no longer works. I can barely turn the key at all.

Even with it broke open, I can still start the car by putting the key in the ignition and then taking a screw driver and prying a little switch within the hole that they created. This starts the car fine.

I am trying to fix this without replacing the whole column. Any ideas or do you all need any extra info from me? I can take pictures if you need them.

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,547 Posts
Who tries to steal a 19 year old car? :hmm:

Obviously you'll have to replace all the broken parts. That probably includes the lock cylinder.

·
Registered
1992 Sedan Deville, 1984 Lincoln Town Car
759 Posts
sounds like the thief was familiar with Cadillac steering column ignition wiring. but maybe just the lock cylinder is damaged. If u could post the pics, it might help for more advice.

·
Registered
1990 Deville
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
"Who tries to steal a 19 year old car?"

That's what we wondered. But at the apartment complex where we were living, it wasn't uncommon to see pre-91 Caddies decked out in huge spinners and what not.

"but maybe just the lock cylinder is damaged."

I'm not one hundred percent sure what the name of the parts are. I did verify that the key, when inserted does turn like it used too. I also noticed that when turned, a piece of metal on the left hand side moves back. I'm thinking that piece of metal used to be connected to the little switch that I have to pry with my screw driver. I will take pictures and see what you all think.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts