Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i had a intermeddiate miss coming from cyinder 2 for a while now so i swiched coils and miss was still ther then i switched wires and still there. So then i check spark plug i put in socket and turn and i hear like a screetch noise thought it came out , but then i try to remove by hand and its still tight. So i look at plug and its broken from the white part so i try to put socket in and it feels like it wants to grab but it doesnt idk if some of that white stuff went into where socket grabs or i just broke where socket grabs and if i did whats the easiest way to remove its plug #2 and it sucks theres no space i hope its not a job where engine has to come out !!!!!!

----------

and i just replaced plugs about 4 months ago idk y this happen to it

·
Premium Member
2005 CTS-V
8,363 Posts
The motor will not have to come out - the worst case scenario is that the cylinder might have to come out. From what you report so far, that seems unlikely since you probably did not break the part of the plug that threads in to the head. When removing all four plugs on the banks or just one, it helps to unfasten the entire bank of coils and move them out of the way. I usually get the socket on the plug first and then worry about getting a ratchet on the socket. You should not need an extension on the #2 plug. Also consider putting the car on jack stands, removing the under apron and coming up from the bottom.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2004-2007-cadillac-cts-v-general/173405-spark-plug-change-blood-driveway.html

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I was able to take it out Wat a relief . I guess there was a lot of that white stuff in the threads of plug that it would allow me to slide in socket. I just put the socket and force to it when I felt it grab and it came out and this is what came out

ForumRunner_20150408_202414.png

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This car has me going crazy first the shaft breaking on me and now this lol!!! And I hardly use it cause I work most of the time

·
Registered
05 Stealth Gray CTS-V, 08 Light Platinum SRX V8, 05 White Diamond STS4 V8 1SG
2,098 Posts
Oh that's nothing. On my Caprice a couple years back, when I went to remove the plug, it not only broke the ceramic but the whole hex part of the plug broke from the threads, leaving the threads and nothing else in the head. After assuming I was screwed, I ended up using a male screw extractor of just the right size. The end of the extractor was a square drive, so I had to use a 12 point 1/4" socket, then a 3/8" adapter, and then a 1/2" adapter with a 1/2" ratchet. Amazingly, the whole thing held and I was able to back it out of the head. In my case the engine had like 280k so, yeah, some stuff probably went into the cylinder...

Moral of the story: be glad that didn't happen to you.

·
Registered
237 Posts
We all have horror stories of #$%^ going terribly wrong...but it doesn't stop us and we continue to tinker with our cars. This is, in part, why these forums are so valuable. To be help the next guy so he doesn't have to experience the same thing. Despite all of the crap that has gone wrong over the years, I still enjoy wrenching on my cars and when I am done with a particular project....well there's nothing like that sense of accomplishment and excitement. :yup::highfive:

·
Registered
04 CTS-V LS6
104 Posts
lx5.0 said:
This car has me going crazy first the shaft breaking on me and now this lol!!! And I hardly use it cause I work most of the time
There's your problem! I DD mine and beat the hell out of it and have yet to break anything!

·
Registered
05 Stealth Gray V
991 Posts
Believe it or not, there were a few cars I've worked on where breaking the porcelain off the plug made it easier to get a socket on. We used to do this on purpose.

·
Registered
04 CTS-V LS6
104 Posts
ctsv247 said:
Believe it or not, there were a few cars I've worked on where breaking the porcelain off the plug made it easier to get a socket on. We used to do this on purpose.
Yup! Whack em with a hammer bust EM off!

·
Registered
05 Stealth Gray V
991 Posts
How do you separate a mechanic from a parts replacer in the real world?

Their ability to use a hammer, a torch, a grinder and a pry bar.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts