Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2011 DTS
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The clip holding the spring inside the folding mirror of my 2005 Deville broke. I got a great deal on a used mirror assembly except it is black instead of the platinum/gray color of my car. I was just going to switch out the plastic covers on the new/used one. I was able to pop off the mirror glass to reach the hex nuts and remove the mirror housing piece but I can't get the other plastic piece off. I was hoping I could just finagle it over the brackets but it is working.
Does that heavy duty spring have to be removed to separate the two swivel pieces to get this other plastic piece off.??..

Thanks for any help on this

Attachments

·
Registered
2000 Deville
20 Posts
I had the same problem on my 2000 Deville passenger's mirror. I welded my spring retainer clip back together and reinstalled it. I added some 2 part epoxy on top of the retainer for extra reinforcement.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,783 Posts
Why not just paint the replacement mirror and be done with it?

·
Registered
2011 DTS
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
my car only has 42,000 miles on it and mint shape. I don't want to spray can it myself because it will never match and look like crap. a body shop will want at least $100.00..I have found a couple used ones on line in the right color but the covers were nicked and scratched up..If the mirrors were put together they must come apart somehow..I'd rather use my current covers and just put them on this new/used mirror...If it comes down do it, ya I"ll have to have it professionally painted, just hoping to avoid that....

·
Super Moderator
86,783 Posts
Don't bet on that. I have rattle can painted a few mirrors and scraped fascias ("bumpers") and they came out unnoticeable, assuming you get the correct paint of coarse.

·
Registered
1992 DeVille
2,339 Posts
Ranger said:
Don't bet on that. I have rattle can painted a few mirrors and scraped fascias ("bumpers") and they came out unnoticeable, assuming you get the correct paint of coarse.
Yeah, plus the nice thing about the mirror is you spray the whole thing and don't have to worry about blending masked lines or any hassle like that.

Just mask off the reflective mirror really good if your spraying with it on.

For best results spray with the mirror off the car. Sand it down completely and you might consider hanging the mirror when spraying for even easier coats (spray about a foot away in light strokes) Make sure to wait long enough between each coat. Make a few passes and when it looks good hit it with a clear coat.

·
Super Moderator
86,783 Posts
Practice makes perfect and if you screw it up, you can always start over.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts