Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2005 ctsv
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well hello im new to the forum! I have one problem i broke my passenger inner cv shaft and i took it apart and thank god i didn't mess anything up inside the diff. But when i was cleaning the casing i saw a thin crack on the passpassenger side ear. So all i need is any suggestions for just a junk yard diff casing? What year? What other models will fit? Which one would be my best option? Which one is more durable/sturdier?

·
Premium Member
2005 CTS-V
8,363 Posts
It is unlikely that you will be able to replace the case as opposed to the entire differential unit (carrier). The current GM part number is 25873498, with an MRSP of just over $2k. It is available from various online part suppliers for $1.5k. There are upgraded aftermarket alternatives, which are more suitable if you intend to drive the car hard. The current stock unit is considered reliable if you don't do hard launches and don't subject it to a lot of wheel hop. A lot depends on your budget and intended use of the car.

·
Registered
2005 ctsv
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah i know but from what i have seen on other threads the diff from the sts and srx and the v6 cts are all the same casing just the inside changes different ratio and non limited Slip

·
2016 ATS Premium 6-spd MT
13,975 Posts
Another member here local to me did the SRX diff and said it worked fine. He found all his info on the ls1tech forum. As I recall, he swapped the innards.

·
Registered
2005 ctsv
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank yall both i found a 2008 sts diff for 300 and the casing appears to be the newest revised version that they introduced after 2007 that has more webbing on the out side of it to stop them from cracking and breaking so easily looks like it'll fit just need a good axle now i broke the passenger inner cv shaft to pieces

·
Registered
237 Posts
Thank yall both i found a 2008 sts diff for 300 and the casing appears to be the newest revised version that they introduced after 2007 that has more webbing on the out side of it to stop them from cracking and breaking so easily looks like it'll fit just need a good axle now i broke the passenger inner cv shaft to pieces
I had to rebuild my diff (guts only) and through my research it looks like the STS housing are the same. If your plan is to just swap the guts then this should work. Just remember you will have to re-shim the bearings with the different case.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts