Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
06 CTS-V
2,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just when I am about to put up my car for sale shortly, somethings got to break. I'm stopped at a stop sign, I goto take off and BANG!!! a super loud pop, then i coast into traffic, sounded like my diff exploded. Good thing I was right out side my place and was able to push my car home. I'm now just hoping that my something in my diff isn't screwed, because thats gonna cost me.
I jacked up my car and i can see my driveshaft turning and my drivers side half shaft is wobbling around before the CV joint and nothing after the joint(the boot is still intact)

I recently bought the out put seals because it looked like i had a leak on that side of the diff, I contsantly had the dealership monitor my diff levels at every oil change and they always checked out fine. They also confirmed that my seal was leaking. But now it's got me thinking, maybe my diff seal wasn't leaking but rather my CV boot was damaged, spitting grease on that side of the diff case. IF that's the case the dealership is going to get an earfull for not catching that.
Mind you driving my car hard on 20's has probably just caught up with me.

I have a question though, In an open diff if my driving out put shaft is broken, is it normal for the other wheel not turn in gear?

·
Registered
CTS 03
1,765 Posts
From my experience with diferentials it sounds normal. When one wheel is stuck in the snow and spinning, the other wheel won't turn. Back in the day there was POSI traction that let both of them turn, but it had it's problems too. Good luck.

BTW, if you sell it, what are you going to buy?

·
Registered
06 CTS-V
2,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah thats what i thought. i know if it's all hooked up and you spin a wheel (by hand) the opposite wheel turns the opposite direction in an open diff. but i wasn't sure what happens to the opposite when you put in gear(with the drive side shaft broken).

BTW got an importer finding me a V (guess i better get used to Diff work) actually looking at some after market axles to fix the wheel hop on that.

·
Registered
03 CTS 3.2L (Sold) / 09 CBR 600rr /2014 GMC Sierra
7,872 Posts
Is the dif on the V really that bad or is it just because they get abused a lot?
Would a diff off a Vette work?

That sucks about yer current cts, I hope to be grabbing something new soon too
But it will most likely be a winter car, my dream of a V will haveto wait a little..
maybe I should get a better job first...LOL

·
Registered
06 CTS-V
2,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
not sure if a vette diff would work, i'd imagine it would take some major retrofitting. if i can pop the diff in this car which is an automatic, i'm sure it wouldn't be to hard in a 400hp manual. i'll have to baby it untill i get the improved axles that eliminate wheel hop, that and a pinion brace hopefully i'd be good to go.
just got off the phone with the tranny shop i got my car towed to, they think it might be the diff itself(great)
i've never had any whine or any abnormal noise come from mine. had the input seal changed to the updated version last summer, due to a leak. My output seal was leaking on that side but nothing major. I was getting some down shift clunk sometimes from 3rd to second, and second to first. IT was probably due for some bushings.
They said they found me a used one if they can't rebuild this one. if they do rebuild it, i'll get them to shove some 3.73 gears in there, should be less strain on the drive train and be funner to drive for the next owner.
to bad this is gonna cost me about 1500-2000.00 to fix i'm sure. there goes my rim fund for a V.

·
Registered
06 CTS-V
2,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
turned out to be my diff, the spider gear blew apart, 1,700.00. got her back already. i guess i'll baby it until i sell it.

·
Registered
41,009 Posts
Jeeze, that blows. How many miles on her, Tommy?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts