Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Folks-
I'm in need of some help here. I have 1997 STS and the spring loaded ashtray in the center column has broken. It appears this is a common problem and I am wondering if there is an aftermarket kit that will fix it. I guess it has something to do with the plastic sprocket. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
John

·
Registered
12 Posts
Ashtray

A friend of mine with an eldorado glued his shut and
quit smoking when his was broken . :histeric: true story , :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the same problem with my 1997 STS ashtray. Any solutions so far? If I find something I will let you know. Thanks.....Jay

·
Registered
3 Posts
I owned my STS for one day when the ashtray stopped closing. If anyone has any bright ideas (other than gluing it shut) Im all ears.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Has anyone gone to the dealer about this problem? I wonder what has to be replaced????? And what the cost would be?????
It's the little things like this that drive us NUTS :drinker

·
Registered
3 Posts
my 97 STS has same problem..
anyone have any info???
I vagely remember a long ago post that the viscus oil used to dampen the gear device in the bottom thickens over time adn causes the "latch" to not engage..

Dan.

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
for my 92 eldo I bought a key chain type leather fob (like you put your keys on) and jammed the leather edge between ashtray lid and top of enclosure.

·
Registered
133 Posts
mine was always stuck open when i bought my car...so i simply grabbed the lip of the wood top of the ashtray, and gently wiggled it forward a tiny bit, so when i push it down it sticks slightly lower than the wood on the center console..but it looks just fine, and i can just push it down and forward to open it again..

but i hate having a smokey car, so my window goes down when i have a cigarette..no matter how cold :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
10 Participants
thydarkprevails