Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm at 81K miles on the original brakes and rotors and will likely need new ones for inspection. I'm told by my dealer that the Brembo pads are quite expensive. Only the front calipers actually say Brembo on them. The rears do not. My questions - are all four brakes Brembos or just the fronts and what should I expect to pay for pads on all four wheels, and rotors (if they are needed) and are there alternatives? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Only the front brakes are Brembos. You can Google for multiple hat and pad vendors with varying prices.

This is but one: https://www.brakeworld.com

OEM GM Parts for front and rear rotors are under $100 ea. As long as you're in there, you might consider replacing the hubs/bearings for added peace of mind.

I'm almost at 80k, and will be doing my brakes soon too,

CCC

·
Registered
406 Posts
80k miles, that's good to know. I'm easy on brakes.
I just hope I never need to replace the calipers. Something tells me that the nicely finished OE ones aren't readily available rebuilt and not cheap.

·
Registered
60 Posts
80k miles, that's good to know. I'm easy on brakes.
I just hope I never need to replace the calipers. Something tells me that the nicely finished OE ones aren't readily available rebuilt and not cheap.
Cheaper then you think, check out either GM Parts Direct and Rockauto. OEM ones are about 200, less on Rockauto. Even cheaper if you go non OEM.

Many of the XTS parts are shared across the entire GM lines.

Just had the rear brakes and rotors replaced at the dealer and it was about $600, the same parts are used on GM pickups, if your Chevy or GM has intelibeam headlights they are the exact same as the ones in the XTS including the bulb. To confirm, called the dealer a few days later and got a quote on the same work for a Chevy pickup, Silverado, and the price was the same as the XTS.

Look at it this way if you own a GM pick up or SUV you're paying the same price for parts as Caddy owners do or if you own a Caddy, your paying Chevy price for parts.

I would rather pay Chevy prices for parts then the other way around.

·
Registered
406 Posts
By nicely finished, I meant the silver coated ones with the "Cadillac by Brembo" script. The fronts are $260 and $290 ea. less shipping at R/A and GM Parts Direct respectively. At least they are still available.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I know this may be beyond a lot of folks but check this out and comment.

https://www.carid.com/2018-cadillac-xts-brakes/powerstop-1-click-street-warrior-z26-brake-kit-1644154536.html or
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=brake+pads&rh=n%3A15684181&af=%7B%22vehicle%22%3A%222018-46-21595-392--1-6-5-18915--1-1-2828--7-1%22%7D&dc&qid=1560433379&rnid=2941120011&ref=sx_pf_dsk_cvftr or
https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web/SearchResults?&storeId=10151&catalogId=10051&langId=-1&searchTerm=brake%20pads%20%26%20shoes&isFitted=1

A brake job is pretty easy for a DIY guy. A little experience, some common sense, and a good set of tools is really all you need. Where I grew up I had to keep my car running or I didn't drive because I couldn't afford to have someone else fix it.

Whenever I need brakes, I typically buy at Advance Auto and use the platinum pads and rotors. I have bought from Amazon and eBay and have had good results also. The good thing about buying at AA is they are local so if there is a problem it can be taken care of in person as well as core charges and returns are immediate. I order from AA online, pickup in store, and always get a 20-25% discount.
I can put pads and new rotors on the front of my truck in less than a hour. I haven't done a Cadillac Brembo set before but it can't be that difficult or that much more expensive.
https://youtu.be/_1p6u4KeeRE
Looks like maybe new socket for the calipers?

I keep my cars longer than most folks and I've had my GM Sierra 1500 for 9 years and I just put my third set of front brakes on. the first set was rotors and pads, the second was pads(cost me $0 under their lifetime warranty), the last set I bought new rotors and got the pads under warranty so both front rotors were $110 total. Again about an hour and done!

When it comes to Brembo calipers, I have found several places that sell rebuild kits but I haven't figured out which Brembo model Cadillac uses yet (maybe someone on the forum knows). In the days before cheap Chinese junk that is what we always did. Disassemble-Hone-Clean-Reassemble with new cups and seals.
New (rebuilt) calipers for the rear of my truck are $45 each and at that price and a lifetime warranty it just seems not worth much effort at any repair.

The cost of Brembo calipers may make the extra labor pay off.

·
Registered
406 Posts
What baffles me is the price disparity from GM Parts Direct for OE front pads at $200 to any of the dozens of sets at Rock auto including AC Delco for roughly $20-$50. Is this the "Cadillac tax"?

·
Registered
406 Posts
Well, it's been a year and 8k miles so I took the wheels off yesterday to rotate tires, detail under there and do a thousand point inspection (like the dealers do). With 37k miles on them, the pads and rotors look new. Also, shocks, 3 of which have been replaced, are completely dry. The rear air spring and front hyper strut set up are pretty impressive. For any DIY'ers the wheel stud extenders pictured make wheel removal and installation much easier, and no damage to caliper paint.

Attachments

·
Registered
200 Posts
I know this may be beyond a lot of folks but check this out and comment.

A brake job is pretty easy for a DIY guy.
Brakes are actually quite easy. I've YouTubed the fronts and they look like a piece of cake.
Very simple job. And I do have all the tools... I used to do wheel swaps all the time.
I would need to get my torque wrench calibrated, though. Inspection department here can do that for me.

I have not found a video for the rear and it does look trickier. The good news is that since fronts do most of the work, the rears last a lot longer.
By the time they need to be done, I'll probably be too old to do them anyway.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Makes a lot of sense to me to make this a part of normal maintenance. I have had many boats and always used silicone spray on all rubber parts. Makes a big difference in areas were road salt is used.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I bought Power Stop from Amazon for my 09 V. About $100 total. I don't track the car; changed the brakes at 71,000. They work great and Lo and behold NO DUST!!! Man does my car look better with clean wheels. Brembos front and back. Easy job. All the pros wanted to change the disks, and in my opinion they looked great (I used to do brakes at a dealer many years ago, so I have some experience) not warped or scored. Good luck.

·
Registered
14 Posts
You guys wearing out Brembos must be on the track quite a bit. My 05 V was still cruising on the original Brembos when I totaled it with 175,000 miles on it. My 10 V made it to 170,000 before the fronts gave way. I replaced all four brakes on the 10, although I could have gotten away with the fronts only. I suggest staying with the factory pads. They are just not that expensive, and you already know how they perform. Assuming you like how they perform. If not, fire away and start experimenting.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have replace my original Brembo pads with metallic pads instead of ceramics due to noise in cold weather. I have replaced rotors with OEM GM rotors at 100K miles, all purchased from Rock Auto.

I replace the rear bearing at 95K miles, one side was noisy the other side had excessive play. Front bearing are original

1 - 20 of 25 Posts