Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Stealth Gray CTS-V, 2009 Black CTS-V
3,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it true that the labor alone to do a full brake job on a CTS-V is like $700? I recall reading that a brake job on a CTS-V was very expensive, but I do not understand why.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

·
Premium Member
2005 CTS-V
8,363 Posts
Re: Break job...

The list price on the OEM pads, front and rear, is about $310.00. Assuming four hours labor, which involves a lot more than just swapping out the pads and your at $700.00 assuming your rotors cleanup okay.

·
Registered
05' CTS-V
3,718 Posts

pad swap should take no longer than an hour if your inexperienced....all you have to do it pull two pins and they're out....a couple more caliper bolts and the rotors are on/off......your crazy if you pay someone to do this.

·
Premium Member
2005 CTS-V
8,363 Posts

pad swap should take no longer than an hour if your inexperienced....all you have to do it pull two pins and they're out....a couple more caliper bolts and the rotors are on/off......your crazy if you pay someone to do this.
I agree that "pad swapping" is not difficult or time consuming, which is why you see cheap brake jobs advertised. I have used pad swapping to postpone real brake jobs on small, non-performance cars myself.

Pad swapping however, is not a real brake job. A real brake job is supposed to restore brake function to like new operation. This involves, at the very least, not only replacing the pads but also refinishing the rotors to resestablish smooth services. It also involves checking the refinished rotors for "run out" as well as inspecting the calipers. (If the original calipers have more than 30K I specify that they be rebuilt, which is presumably a separate charge. I also have the wheel bearings repacked when I have the front brakes done). Finally, a brake job necessarily includes flushing and bleeding sufficiently to ensure a total change out of the brake fluid, which has a limited life span.

Now, if somebody is paying $700 for a "pad swap" that is clearly too much. But a real brake job could easily, and reasonably, cost that much.

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: Brake job...

The service advisor misspoke. Turns out labor was ~$400. Parts, however, add up real fast.

Hawk Pads (+ shipping) from Lindsey: ~$230.
It's my understanding from not only (IIRC) Car & Driver, but also the techs at Bunnin that the rotors can't really be turned, hence:

Front Rotors: ~$300
Rear Rotors: ~280.

Next thing you know, you're at $1,200. I recall C&D's article stating that one shouldn't be surprised spending up to $1,500 for a (full) brake job. I guess they weren't kidding. :jawdrop:

And the title of this thread should have stayed "Break Job," as in break my damn bank account...then again, I only need this B.S. jittery market to do that...

·
Premium Member
2005 CTS-V
8,363 Posts

It's my understanding from not only (IIRC) Car & Driver, but also the techs at Bunnin that the rotors can't really be turned, hence:

I am curious, why can't the rotors be turned? (BTW, I agree with you on the thread name).

All of them
1,795 Posts

The service advisor misspoke. Turns out labor was ~$400. Parts, however, add up real fast.

Next thing you know, you're at $1,200. I recall C&D's article stating that one shouldn't be surprised spending up to $1,500 for a (full) brake job. I guess they weren't kidding. :jawdrop:

And the title of this thread should have stayed "Break Job," as in break my damn bank account...then again, I only need this B.S. jittery market to do that...

We get about $360.00 for front and rear stock rotors plus shipping. let me know if you need them.

·
Registered
2005 Cadillac CTS-V
162 Posts

I just purchased the crossed drilled rotors( front/back ), braided brake lines and hawks pads from Lindsay and my dealership said they could put everything but the brake lines on for $105. I imagine, even with the brake lines I should spend somewhere around $1100 - $1200 total.

·
Registered
Cadillac CTS-V
235 Posts
yup... i've had ewill install or check over headers, exhaust, shifter, knob, tune, intake, filter, rear end, and soon to be brake lines and rotors
Hey whats up .. Sorry but I cannot respond to PM's since I dont even have 20 posts.. lol. But I did become a supporting member.. Just waiting on that to kick in eventually. I live in PG and travel all around being that I have family in Montgomery County in Aspen Hill..

·
Registered
05 Redline CTS-V
8,439 Posts
i'm gonna be up at Raku Sushi in bethesda tonight if you're in for some sushi....

you can check out some of lindsay's work on my V

·
Registered
Cadillac CTS-V
235 Posts
Already made plans with family tonight.. I am on midnights so my only days off are Thurs and Fri. So if you're down for something next week let me know.

·
Super Moderator
'05 CTS-V
8,134 Posts

(If the original calipers have more than 30K I specify that they be rebuilt, which is presumably a separate charge. I also have the wheel bearings repacked when I have the front brakes done).
Holy unnecessary added on work, Batman!! Rebuilding brake calipers at 30k miles?! :eek:

·
Registered
2018 CT6E, old: 2014 XTS Vsport, 2005 CTS-V, 2004 CTS-V.
2,709 Posts

Here is a start:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cadillac-CTS-V-Rotors-Brembo-13k-Miles-Set-of-4_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33564QQihZ010QQitemZ200150232888QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Norm

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

I am curious, why can't the rotors be turned? (BTW, I agree with you on the thread name).

Too thin or something like that. Perhaps our friends/techs at Lindsey can chime in. :D

·
Premium Member
2005 CTS-V
8,363 Posts

Too thin or something like that. Perhaps our friends/techs at Lindsey can chime in. :D
Too thin would cause it. This also begs the question about the 2-piece rotors that UUC and Lindsay are working on.

·
Super Moderator
'05 CTS-V
8,134 Posts

Too thin or something like that.
A rotor that's below spec on any car can't be turned, so if that's what prompted the original comment then that's just a matter of stating the obvious.

Too thin would cause it. This also begs the question about the 2-piece rotors that UUC and Lindsay are working on.
Begs the question how? If the rotor is too thin, you buy a new rotor section and bolt it to the hat. As with any rotor, though, wearing the rotor to the point it's too thin to be used any longer should take tens of thousands of miles.

·
Premium Member
2005 CTS-V
8,363 Posts

A rotor that's below spec on any car can't be turned, so if that's what prompted the original comment then that's just a matter of stating the obvious.

Begs the question how? If the rotor is too thin, you buy a new rotor section and bolt it to the hat. As with any rotor, though, wearing the rotor to the point it's too thin to be used any longer should take tens of thousands of miles.
Well this dialogue started with a report that CTS-V rotors cannot be be turned even ONCE. In other words they are at minimum thickness tolerance when new. So the question is whether and why that is so. (My Chevy Suburban rotors, in contrast, have been turned twice already, once at 30K miles and again at 62k miles.)

1 - 20 of 44 Posts