Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought an 06 CTS w/ the 3.6L V6.

Anyway, I decided to do some early break in driving today and put about 100miles on it.

The problem is, I was following traffic and was doing 80 mi/hr
I also had cruise control on every now and then (maybe 20 miles worth).

Now, at no point was I burning out and the car was plenty warm before taking on the highway.

However, when I mentioned it to my family today they flipped out. They said what I did was really wrong.

The agent that closed out my purchase laughed and said to take it easy and not go over 100.

I saw 1 or 2 threads, but they were pretty short.

In any case, did I f$(%@ up?

·
Registered
'04 Escalade EXT
352 Posts
What ive heard as far as break in on the new cars is that you are just not supposed to keep it at the same rpm for an extended period of time. i.e. having cruise control on at 65 for 4 hours. The dealers that ive talked to said that is really all that is necessary.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
d-dash said:
What ive heard as far as break in on the new cars is that you are just not supposed to keep it at the same rpm for an extended period of time. i.e. having cruise control on at 65 for 4 hours. The dealers that ive talked to said that is really all that is necessary.
But that's kind of what I did/ Granted, not cruise control for that long, but I was just driving long stretches of highway at the same speed. So for the most part it was hovering around 2300RPM.

·
Registered
18 ATS-V, 04 CTS-V, 09 CTS, 04 CTS
6,676 Posts
What break in period? I turned the t/c off and floored it outta the dealership the night I picked up the V6.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Engines come out of the factory much more refined than they once did. Cyclinders were simply honed and break-ins allowed for rings to and valves to properly seat. Hell, the synthetic oil that our cars come with out of the factory are almost too slippery to effect any real break-in.

·
Registered
CTS
112 Posts
What you guys said about breaking in exotics, and not needing to break in the caddy is true. My uncle at the dealership said these cars are all ready made to broken at the factory. the first couple miles or so that the car was droven, the process is already done. You should not stress it.

But i must admitt, i did my breakin process really bad. lol i have about 400 miles and i kind of beat on it pretty hard for the past 100 miles. But i still baby it at times. But the sucker eats gas! 8 dollars gives me half a tank!

·
Registered
2003 CTS
20 Posts
I would agree with most everyone here but would also like to add that you need not worry unless most of your driving was in the mid to upper end of your power-band.
You stated that you were around 2300 rpm for the time in which you are concerned. You weren't quite there. That would probably be a level your car would see quite frequently if driving around town during a "textbook" break-in period anyway.
It's all gravy baby! You're good. :cool:

·
Registered
NONE
85 Posts
I just bought my CTS and the dealer told me all GM engines are now dyno'ed for the first 1000 m/kms.

I bought a 2000 ford focus brand new and beat the shit out of it when I first got it. I sold it at 160,000 kms and I am sure it will get another 160k.

cars today can take it! your family should relax.

·
Registered
271 Posts
My only recommendation is probably a hold over from years gone by.....I changed my oil after the first 500 miles in case there was metal in it from the parts seating. I think Caddy has you coming in after the first 3000?

·
Registered
2005 CTS 3.6L 6spd manual
13 Posts
Any of you knuckleheads think of checking the owners manual?

Per the owners manual for the 2005 3.6L:
Your vehicle does not need an elaborate break-in.

They go on to mention a few things you shouldn't do for the first 500 miles, but I think in general given modern metallurgy and manufacturing technics break in periods are a thing of the past.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Ilyesha said:
My only recommendation is probably a hold over from years gone by.....I changed my oil after the first 500 miles in case there was metal in it from the parts seating. I think Caddy has you coming in after the first 3000?
My Dealer said don't come in to change the synthetic until about 7500 miles. At $150 bucks for an oil change, I'm thankful!

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
BYNSL4U said:
My Dealer said don't come in to change the synthetic until about 7500 miles. At $150 bucks for an oil change, I'm thankful!
150bucks!!!!
I just had the oil change done on the sts4 and it was only 78.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks all. My mind is at ease.

It was just a big deal at home and I was getting worried (thinking I screwed up my first new car purchase).

·
Registered
271 Posts
Devil_concours said:
150bucks!!!!
I just had the oil change done on the sts4 and it was only 78.
I had Caddy do my first oil change for $75:bomb: Every change after that I have done for $33. A case of synTec and a filter. Takes about 15 minutes.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts