Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
CTS-V
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I passed the 500mi mark today, so I did a few full throttle runs. Everything is fine, no whinning from the gears and the transmission is handling full power without a problem. :thumbsup:

How did you guys break in your XLR's?
I took it easy until about 300mi, then I gave it 3/4 throttle and took it up to some moderately high speeds. I also tried to keep the power down while making turns so I wouldn't stress the diff too much.

·
Banned
851 Posts
Vrocks said:
I passed the 500mi mark today, so I did a few full throttle runs. Everything is fine, no whinning from the gears and the transmission is handling full power without a problem. :thumbsup:

How did you guys break in your XLR's?
I took it easy until about 300mi, then I gave it 3/4 throttle and took it up to some moderately high speeds. I also tried to keep the power down while making turns so I wouldn't stress the diff too much.
Hi Vrocks,
I always do the brake in on my cars
first 1000 km (600 miles) up to 100 mph (160 kph) and no constant speed.
After this I let it GO and never had any problems with my cars.
I´ve had a little oil consumption during the first 3000 km (1800 miles) on my XLR but no oil consumption any more.

Harry

·
Registered
CTS-V
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ralph said:
Congrats!! I'm still leary of the so called 500 mi. break in. I've read that a more realistic number for a proper break-in is closer to 15K and after that time, fuel mileage may improve.....
Do you still have your CTS-V?
Hey Ralph,
I agree that the car isn't completely broken in at 500mi but if I waited until 15K miles I'd go insane. My fuel milage is a hair better than what I got with the V, around 17mpg.

The CTS-V is already gone. After driving it for about 2 years I lost touch with how fast that car really was. The brakes were also far more powerful than the XLR's but the XLR's are quiet and smoother. I do know that I'll never buy a sport car in the future if it doesn't have a manual transmission. The V was my first car with a manual, and it offers more control when you're trying to put the power down in a turn.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts